Svartalf

Re: DOOM3 source code released

Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:13 pm

Quote from mikeo007 on December 14, 2011, 16:03
Problem with this is that it looks brutal. Quake 3 looks way better than Doom 3 at those ultra low detail settings.

That's because he's using OLD GPUs, not the RAM. I think if we can get it in the domain of what they did to skinny it onto the X-Box classic, we might (MIGHT!) get this to work "okay" on the R-Pi. The GPU's up to the task, it's the CPU and the RAM I'm thinking might let us down on this one.

xernobyl

Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:41 pm

This is something I wouldn't mind working on. I'm sure it can be done, and will be done (if the raspberry pi really sells enough to get a decent user base, *cof cof*). RAM might be a problem, however it can be sidesteped by using low res textures. Even with textures as low res as the ones used in that version linked before (on a VOODOO!?) it will still look a lot better with decent material and lighting shaders.
Additionally from I've seen in the code a lot of things can be now done a lot faster on the GPU, like vertex skinning, and maybe some physics.

Brammers

Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:52 pm

If Doom3 might be a struggle, then what about the id Tech 3 game Wolfenstein ET (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W....._Territory)?

Its system requirements back in 2003 were 600MHz CPU, 128MB RAM and a 32MB OpenGL graphics card. I don't really know about graphics stuff to say if the RPi could handle that.

The entire source code was released under the GPL a year or so ago. It's a cracking multiplayer game and there haven't been many like it since.

Svartalf

Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:40 pm

Quote from Brammers on December 18, 2011, 21:52
If Doom3 might be a struggle, then what about the id Tech 3 game Wolfenstein ET (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W....._Territory)?

Its system requirements back in 2003 were 600MHz CPU, 128MB RAM and a 32MB OpenGL graphics card. I don't really know about graphics stuff to say if the RPi could handle that.

The entire source code was released under the GPL a year or so ago. It's a cracking multiplayer game and there haven't been many like it since.

Heh... If ioquake3 is on the platform, then it would be too. :-D

Return to “Other projects”