MarkJ62

Official Pi case with unofficial 40mm fan

Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:12 pm

I took a Pi3 and put it into the official case. Nothing special about that, except they get hot, very hot. First thing was to add a copper heatsink which was enough for the Pi2. Unfortunately not so for a Pi3 running flat out. Time to add a fan.

I used a 40mm Noctua as they are only 17dB. You can hardly hear it running. Its a BOINC number cruncher running 24/7 so I wanted something reliable.

If you want to see how it got to this point there are more pictures at http://markjatboinc.blogspot.com.au/201 ... -case.html

Rive

Re: Official Pi case with unofficial 40mm fan

Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:20 pm

I have been considering doing something similar with a smaller fan I have (to replace the current one which is 70mm).

(oh, btw, putting a heatsink on the USB/Ethernet chip is kinda useless (it doesn't really get hot))

What are your load test freq and temps on this? @ full CPU load with stress and cpuburn (run for 15 min)?

Stress

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install stress
stress --cpu 4 & watch '(vcgencmd measure_temp; vcgencmd measure_clock arm)'
Cpuburn-a53

Code: Select all

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ssvb/cpuburn-arm/master/cpuburn-a53.S
gcc -o cpuburn-a53 cpuburn-a53.S
./cpuburn-a53 & watch '(vcgencmd measure_temp; vcgencmd measure_clock arm)'
Here is what I did (using 5V gpio rail):
(originally I had a small copper heat sink, by changing the heat sink to the one below I shaved off 20C)

Ambient: 20C
Idle: 27C
Stress: 42C
Cpuburn-a53: 62C

ImageImage
DNPNWO

MarkJ62

Re: Official Pi case with unofficial 40mm fan

Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:15 am

With 4 Seti Beta tasks running its getting 55.8 degrees C. Room temp is 28 degrees. With just the heatsink it got to 79 degrees.

I have a number of Pi2's which I also use. I'm in the process of swapping them out for Pi3's. The Pi2's were happy with just a heatsink. The Pi3 needs a heatsink and a fan to stay cool under load. I run a number of them and wanted something that would be quiet, hence the Noctua fan.

I have a couple of Parallellas where I did a similar arrangement using a 60mm fan and just the two of them make a fair bit of noise. This was before Noctua had the 40mm 5 volt fans.

Return to “Other projects”