paul_tech

Whole House Generator Monitor

Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:41 pm

If anyone's interested I've developed a whole house generator and line power monitor that should work with any brand generator. I could make the software and hardware design available in a few weeks.
I'm using a raspberry pi to monitor the generator and line power. I wanted to know while I'm away from home when I've had a power failure and for how long. I also wanted to know when the generator runs and for how long. I'm concerned about running out of fuel. I also want to make sure the generator runs weekly at it's scheduled time because it didn't one time and needed to be manually reset. The current running version of my software sends me emails when the power fails, power is restored, generator starts and generator stops. I use modified night lights to sense when power is lost and when the generator is running. These are connected to two of the Pi digital inputs. I'm running two daemons on the Pi, one to monitor the line power digital input and send and emails and another to monitor the generator input and send a emails. The new version of these daemons also logs events to a database but it hasn't been tested yet. I'm working on running a web server on the Pi so the database can be viewed remotely. But I'm not a very proficient web developer so that's not going to be done for a while.
By the way, the modified night lights will work on either 110vac or 220vac and they could be used to monitor the power status of any 110vac/220vac device such as a well pump, sump pump, float valve or anything powered by 110vac/220vac.
Paul

VirtualDataBase

Re: Whole House Generator Monitor

Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:43 pm

I would be interested....as a human not a spambot!

Goran81

Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:14 pm

I am very interested. How can I know more about this?

jgyates

Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:55 am

If you are using a Generac Generator with and Evolution controller this project may be useful:

https://github.com/jgyates/genmon

Goran81

Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:23 pm

Wow. Thank you for the link. I really appreciate it. Any way you could post some pics of the actual finished project?

jgyates

Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:25 pm

There are pictures in the github repository and at this link

https://hackaday.io/projects/hacker/208585

Also the project now supports both Generac Evolution and Nexus controllers

Goran81

Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:28 pm

jgyates wrote:There are pictures in the github repository and at this link

https://hackaday.io/projects/hacker/208585

Also the project now supports both Generac Evolution and Nexus controllers