RoiEX

Raspberry as graphic calculator?

Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:16 am

Some of you probably know about the graphic calculators from Texas Instruments.
Although some of them just got released few years ago they are still pretty expensive and not very good in terms of performance.
I had this idea to build my own calculator using a Raspberry Pi.
My question here is what Kind of Raspberry Pi will I need?
Is the Raspberry Pi ZERO enough?
Or should I use one of the newer models because the ZERO can't handle Algebra?
I appreciate all of your help.

TheRayTracer

Re: Raspberry as graphic calculator?

Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:11 am

Considering that the TI-83 (released in 1996) was one of the more popular in the range, it's CPU was only 6 - 15MHz and only 32kB of RAM. ANY RPi could do what a TI could calculate. In this case it would be more about the software to "handle" the "algebra", than worrying about the hardware. Any RPi would be overpowered!

RoiEX

Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:13 am

So I would use a zero to have an advanced Enviroment... Cheap and enough for the future.
I will only have to worry on hardware like a "keyboard" and a display

GTR2Fan

Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:22 am

Have you looked in the Raspbian Jessie repository to see what's available already? If you're running Jessie via the GUI, going to Menu - Preferences - Add / Remove Software and typing 'calculator' into the search box brings back a reasonably extensive list.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

experix

Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:29 am

Check out http://experix.sourceforge.net. It's a calculator that runs scripts, and it understands some concepts not usually included in calculators, such as threads, USB device operation, timing, general file operations and lots of other stuff. It uses a stack that holds many different kinds of things, including number arrays. And it has a simple, efficient and versatile graph command that makes graphs of arrays.

Return to “Other projects”