cpeterson19

Liquid Cooling

Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:13 pm

Hello,

How many of you guys are interested in liquid cooling your raspberry pi?
I am in the process of designing/manufacturing a water block for the the model b right now, however if a lot of people are interested i will design and manufacturer blocks of the other models.

So if i could get any input or feedback that would be awesome!

Thanks,

klricks

Re: Liquid Cooling

Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:21 am

I doubt you will get much interest because 99% of all RPi applications do not need heatsinks, fans, or cooling of any kind.... not even when over clocking.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

cpeterson19

Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:44 am

Thanks for the reply, and i know that the RPi barely gets warm, but i think its just a cool commodity and im doing it because i can not because it is necessary! :)

Douglas6

Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:06 am

cpeterson19 wrote:im doing it because i can not because it is necessary! :)
Good for you. But don't expect a market for your personal split from reality.

cpeterson19

Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:10 am

Douglas6 wrote:
cpeterson19 wrote:im doing it because i can not because it is necessary! :)
Good for you. But don't expect a market for your personal split from reality.
I think it could sell especially to people who are into liquid cooling their PCs. I mean its just a fun cool thing.
But thanks for your input!

stderr

Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:10 am

cpeterson19 wrote:Thanks for the reply, and i know that the RPi barely gets warm, but i think its just a cool commodity and im doing it because i can not because it is necessary! :)
Most people avoid plumbing liquids into their computer system if they possibly can. Can't you find something from AMD that could make use of the extra cooling?

cpeterson19

Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:17 am

stderr wrote:
cpeterson19 wrote:Thanks for the reply, and i know that the RPi barely gets warm, but i think its just a cool commodity and im doing it because i can not because it is necessary! :)
Most people avoid plumbing liquids into their computer system if they possibly can. Can't you find something from AMD that could make use of the extra cooling?
I dont think people avoid it, i liquid cool every computer i build because i OC everything, and modding and OCing is a huge community now. Its not a matter of finding a better option its about doing something really awesome!!!!

stderr

Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:41 am

cpeterson19 wrote: I dont think people avoid it, i liquid cool every computer i build because i OC everything, and modding and OCing is a huge community now. Its not a matter of finding a better option its about doing something really awesome!!!!
I'm not completely out to lunch, I can remember overclocking the Intel 486SX-20 to 35MHz. That's a pretty impressive nearly doubling of the rated speed. I also remember the Intel Celeron 300MHz which we'd often get to run at 450MHz after sometimes "lapping" the surface to make it flatter.

Today things are stuck at usually below about 4GHz and they've been that way for a long time. There are also a lot of CPUs that are just designed for lower speeds, most often sub-2GHz. Because they are often designed for battery operation in confined spaces, heat/power is a huge deal. So when we see them in the context of a SBC, they often don't even have a heatsink. They don't need one.

So into that world, you want to bring the fish tank pump and the threat of leaking and disaster. And for what sort of overclock? What can you get without having to regularly reflash the sdcards? What does the pi3 top out at? I'd love to know.

cpeterson19

Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:27 am

stderr wrote:
cpeterson19 wrote: I dont think people avoid it, i liquid cool every computer i build because i OC everything, and modding and OCing is a huge community now. Its not a matter of finding a better option its about doing something really awesome!!!!
I'm not completely out to lunch, I can remember overclocking the Intel 486SX-20 to 35MHz. That's a pretty impressive nearly doubling of the rated speed. I also remember the Intel Celeron 300MHz which we'd often get to run at 450MHz after sometimes "lapping" the surface to make it flatter.

Today things are stuck at usually below about 4GHz and they've been that way for a long time. There are also a lot of CPUs that are just designed for lower speeds, most often sub-2GHz. Because they are often designed for battery operation in confined spaces, heat/power is a huge deal. So when we see them in the context of a SBC, they often don't even have a heatsink. They don't need one.

So into that world, you want to bring the fish tank pump and the threat of leaking and disaster. And for what sort of overclock? What can you get without having to regularly reflash the sdcards? What does the pi3 top out at? I'd love to know.
I my self would also love to know just haven't gotten around to that yet! But I know the pi doesn't get hot at all so I'm not doing this for practicality rather pleasure I think it would just be fun and I would think other modders and enthusiasts would enjoy it also plus the uk makes these micro pumps that would be perfect and we could also implement a resivior into a case some how!!! Thoughts about it all would be awesome plus here is the pump link...http://www.micropumps.co.uk/

mosespi

Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:01 am

I need liquid cooling to walk to the mailbox on a hot day.. the Pi on the other hand doesn't break a sweat until near boiling.

Cool is cool and all that but I'm reminded of a quote.. "Fail quick and move on..."

Although I would love to see if a Pi would run submersed in liquid nitrogen! THE CRYO PI!!!

Regards,
-Moses
Power problems? MoPower UPS for the Pi
http://www.allspectrum.com/mopower/

RaTTuS

Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:04 am

cpeterson19 wrote:Hello,

I am in the process of designing/manufacturing a water block for the the model b right now, however if a lot of people are interested i will design and manufacturer blocks of the other models.

Thanks,
just do it for the Pi3 - that may be worth it in overclock situations
other pi's don't need it
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

GTR2Fan

Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:30 am

cpeterson19 wrote:I dont think people avoid it, i liquid cool every computer i build because i OC everything, and modding and OCing is a huge community now. Its not a matter of finding a better option its about doing something really awesome!!!!
It's about spending silly money compared to adequate air cooling for a tiny return in additional headroom on an overclock. I've been overclocking every PC I've ever built too for the past 28 years on air cooling alone, and I've never been more than single-digit percents behind those running very expensive liquid cooling systems.

The whole point of liquid cooling is to shift the heat away to an area where a larger radiator/fan assembly can be used than would otherwise fit directly on the hot device. As a non-volt-modded Pi2 and most likely Pi3 never needs a heatsink/fan assembly any larger than can be directly attached to the SOC, liquid cooling is a complete waste of time and money when a $2 heatsink alone is already more than good enough nearly always.

Maybe liquid cooling makes some kind of financial sense against the price of a $1,000+ PC, but it makes no sense at all for a $30 SBC where you're only going to gain a couple of dollar's worth of extra performance at best under the most extreme of circumstances compared to a $2 heatsink.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

cpeterson19

Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:43 pm

RaTTuS wrote:
cpeterson19 wrote:Hello,

Thanks,
just do it for the Pi3 - that may be worth it in overclock situations
other pi's don't need it
Probably a good call!

experix

Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:05 pm

I put mine in a beaker of freon. Works great!

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:20 pm

Cooling down silicon will make it switch slower, not faster!
Cooling should just be used to keep the silicon from overheating and burning up, to extend its life cycle.

That said, the PI 3 is perhaps the only PI that may benefit from a small heat sink, it dissipates a far amount of energy when running full thrust with its GPU and CPU, as the both are now clocked higher than before, and the GPU uses the majority of the transistors in the PI, even in the PI3, so uses the most energy.
The PI 3 will throttle down in two stages, showing two different color icons on the screen when it does, brown (I think) and red.
Adding cooling may prevent it throttling down.

JamesPi123

Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:48 am

mahjongg wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:20 pm
Cooling down silicon will make it switch slower, not faster!
Cooling should just be used to keep the silicon from overheating and burning up, to extend its life cycle.

That said, the PI 3 is perhaps the only PI that may benefit from a small heat sink, it dissipates a far amount of energy when running full thrust with its GPU and CPU, as the both are now clocked higher than before, and the GPU uses the majority of the transistors in the PI, even in the PI3, so uses the most energy.
The PI 3 will throttle down in two stages, showing two different color icons on the screen when it does, brown (I think) and red.
Adding cooling may prevent it throttling down.
Nice point, mahjongg (I never knew)

Return to “Other projects”