dodger

Quick and Dirty Rpi server game boy case

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:52 am

Final result :

Require less than 30 minutes and some very common tools:
  • Plier
  • Cutter
  • Plastic Glue or SuperGlue
In this first version, no video connectors are available. That’s why it’s called Rpi server (vnc rules)

So let's go

Open the game boy, remove pcb and screen and take the back part.

Use the plier to cut parts in red square.

Width of the game boy (first generation) is exactly the width of Rpi.

Enlarge Ext.Connector and Vol holes on both side with the plier. Adjust with the Cutter

Same thing on the upper side

We have to enlarge left side too, for power supply and SD socket.

Now glue buttons and pad.

Close the case with screws that still fit (at least the two inside battery box)

Et voilà :
:idea: TODO :
  • :arrow: HDMI connector on the top of the gb
  • :arrow: Video and Sound on the bottom
  • :arrow: Usb hub ?
:!: Disclamer : No GameBoy has been hurt in the process as it was already dead !

forumisto

Re: Quick and Dirty Rpi server game boy case

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:25 am

I like it
As suggestion, you can put a picture in screen. The PCB is not nice.

dodger

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:48 pm

Great idea :D

What about something like that :

Print & Glue it on the gb screen :mrgreen:
super-rapi-land.png
super raspi land screen
super-rapi-land.png (4.15 KiB) Viewed 4526 times

Mick1152

Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:12 am

Thank you Dodger! I was debating using my old gameboy for this. I have two but since they're both working I was reluctant to sacrifice one for this. Your screen replacement graphic pushed me over the edge... taking one apart right now!

Mick

dodger

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:26 am

I'm glad you love it :)

If you draw your own screen replacement, post them here 8-)

dan3008

Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:25 pm

Firstly, LOVE the case, As a Diehard nintendo fan, I have been considering something like this for a while, but am yet to find an old gameboy to use lol. Thinking using my old gamcube might be a fun little venture though. (could include a storage section for disks or something, since the pi is small and the GC big)

May i recommend looking at this http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =32&t=9814
Placing one of these screens into the screen slot, would give you a basic output, to display error messages or something. Also, personally I'd look into using one of the buttons as an input to be able to turn the pi off without having to just pull the power.

But thats just personal oppinion. Really epic case :D
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

dodger

Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:51 am

dan3008 wrote:Firstly, LOVE the case, As a Diehard nintendo fan, I have been considering something like this for a while, but am yet to find an old gameboy to use lol.
dan3008 wrote: Thinking using my old gamcube might be a fun little venture though. (could include a storage section for disks or something, since the pi is small and the GC big)
You could make a NAS with at least 2 hard disks
dan3008 wrote: May i recommend looking at this http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =32&t=9814
Placing one of these screens into the screen slot, would give you a basic output, to display error messages or something.
3310 screen resolution is too low for a gameboy emulator ... too bad :mrgreen:
dan3008 wrote: Also, personally I'd look into using one of the buttons as an input to be able to turn the pi off without having to just pull the power.
What ! turning off a linux server ! :lol:

dan3008

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:50 pm

dodger wrote:
dan3008 wrote: Thinking using my old gamcube might be a fun little venture though. (could include a storage section for disks or something, since the pi is small and the GC big)
You could make a NAS with at least 2 hard disks
That I could, Didnt think of that. Although I was thinking it would make an epic media server, maybe replace the controller ports with a powered USB hub, and if i'm feeling techy, maybe even replace the GC's DVD drive. Can the pi use a dvd drive through the GPIO pins?
dodger wrote:
dan3008 wrote: May i recommend looking at this http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =32&t=9814
Placing one of these screens into the screen slot, would give you a basic output, to display error messages or something.
3310 screen resolution is too low for a gameboy emulator ... too bad :mrgreen:
No kidding, that would have been even cooler. But still possably worth thinking about adding a screen for output. So if it errors you can get a readout of the error message to fix it.
dodger wrote:
dan3008 wrote: Also, personally I'd look into using one of the buttons as an input to be able to turn the pi off without having to just pull the power.
What ! turning off a linux server ! :lol:
You'd be surprised. Me and my dad do kids disco parties and use a linux server (in a BIIIIIIIIG box on wheels lol) to serve up the music to our homemade turntables system, which is actually 2 windows laptops (what we had lying around) with a cross fader between them.
So that never runs for more than 3-4 hours at a time, and we shut it down properly, so not to risk corrupting anything.
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

dodger

Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:34 pm

if i'm feeling techy, maybe even replace the GC's DVD drive.

Too techy for me :mrgreen:
Can the pi use a dvd drive through the GPIO pins?
I think you'd rather use an usb drive, see :
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... f=9&t=4104

Return to “Other projects”