murratw

Official pi case and HATS

Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:36 am

Is there a way to secure the HAT when it is in the official Raspberry Pi case? Screws,etc...

alphanumeric

Re: Official pi case and HATS

Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:34 pm

No, not without drilling some holes in the bottom. There are 4 short plastic nubs that protrude up from the bottom and go through the Pi's mounting holes. With those there, there is no way to attach standoffs to the Pi. Not without modifying your standoffs. I took 2 11 mm standoffs and cut the threaded studs off of them with my dremel tool. I then attached them to my sense hat facing down, with screws. They just hold up the side opposite the GPIO header, where the joystick is, that doesn't have any support. The GPIO header plug holds up the other side. I cut the studs off and used the screw end because it makes it flusher with the top of the sense hat. I would have had to trim the studs anyway to get the top cover on. Even then I had to dremel the back side of the cover to get it to sit flush on my sense hat. That's the cover with the square window in it. The top piece of the GPIO connector on the sense hat touches the underside of the cover. It was all wasted effort in the end though. That case has no cooling vets so my sense hat temp pegs at 30 C. I wanted to read ambient temps. Not going to happen in that case.

Return to “Other projects”