VillageDrunkard

No HAT screen please! (Help)

Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:35 pm

Hey all,

(Forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this but I've looked everywhere else and can't seem to find anywhere more appropriate...)

I was gifted a Raspberry Pi 2 for Christmas, I've been playing with it since and have fallen completely in love with it and the idea of creating anything with them! I'm currently using Rasbian on one card and Retro Pi on another.

What I'm VERY interested in though are the touch screens (small ones) that I've been seeing online that you can hook up to your Pi. I've been reading up on them and how they connect to a Pi via GPIO and other various ways...

BUT

What I need help with is how to connect a 3 inch screen (can be any screen, so long as it's 3 inches/sub 3.5 inches) to my Pi, but NOT ON TOP OR IN A CASE... Yes, I know, I want the screen to be working BUT NEXT TO MY PI, it can be any distance with whatever cables I need... Just so long as the screen is NOT ATTATCHED on top of my Pi!

I'm trying to sink the small screen into a coat sleeve above the wrist, sew it in, hem it and make it all look nice, and then have my Pi somewhere else in the coat (protected obviously, and possibly also in the sleeve because most cables aren't super long), then load up some weather apps, some colander apps, maybe look into GPS services(?) and BAM, it's all there on my wrist :D YES, I am aware smart watches and cellphones are a thing... Just help me achieve my wild dreams!

karrika

Re: No HAT screen please! (Help)

Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:14 pm

One way would be to put a 40 pin ribbon cable between the PiZero and the display. You can easily get 40 pin sockets that can be pressed on the cable. Then you also need to solder pin headers on the display and on PiZero to connect the units with each other.

DirkS

Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:24 pm

karrika wrote:... PiZero ...
:?:
VillageDrunkard wrote:I was gifted a Raspberry Pi 2 for Christmas

jackokring

Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:40 pm

26 way connectors female to male should work with many cheap tiny screens. The connector and header dimensions may be an issue, solved with delicate soldering perhaps, and some wobbly warranty waiving. So will your 'void' jacket do be doing cat5?
Pi[NFA]=B256R0USB CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
Pi[Work]=A+256 CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
My favourite constant 1.65056745028

VillageDrunkard

Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:51 pm

karrika wrote:One way would be to put a 40 pin ribbon cable between the PiZero and the display. You can easily get 40 pin sockets that can be pressed on the cable. Then you also need to solder pin headers on the display and on PiZero to connect the units with each other.
Sorry, I don't have a PiZero, I'm using a Pi 2!

I've seen those 40 pin ribbon cables around online and thought about picking one up with a screen to try it out... But I'm just worried that the screen itself will have a female connection and that whatever cable I get I won't be able to use to connect the device and the screen... Are there things I can do to combat this problem?

BMS Doug

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:01 pm

The adafruit 3.5" and 2.8" screens have a 2x13 header for adding other peripherals, you could connect to that with a 40 pin to 26 pin ribbon cable.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

VillageDrunkard

Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:42 pm

BMS Doug wrote:The adafruit 3.5" and 2.8" screens have a 2x13 header for adding other peripherals, you could connect to that with a 40 pin to 26 pin ribbon cable.
This would power it as well, is that right?

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:25 pm

Yes, generally GPIO connected display boards are designed to be powered by...the GPIO port.
What you do need to be aware of is by using a ribbon cable, the pins are opposed to each other unless the pcb layout takes that into account, OR
you use a 'twisted pair' ribbon cable.

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

BMS Doug

Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:14 pm

texy wrote:Yes, generally GPIO connected display boards are designed to be powered by...the GPIO port.
What you do need to be aware of is by using a ribbon cable, the pins are opposed to each other unless the pcb layout takes that into account, OR

Texy
the adafruit boards I linked to have a output header as well as the input connection, plugging a ribbon cable from the pi GPIO to the output header works perfectly (as they are arranged in the standard GPIO format)
the 2x13 connections on the bottom right are the standard Pi header, those on the right are where I would suggest connecting the ribbon cable.
(I have done this with my 2.8" display, it works perfectly).
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:25 pm

Yes they 'stole' my idea for that ;)

But not all display boards have that option.
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

VillageDrunkard

Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:56 am

BMS Doug wrote:
texy wrote:Yes, generally GPIO connected display boards are designed to be powered by...the GPIO port.

Texy
the adafruit boards I linked to have a output header as well as the input connection, plugging a ribbon cable from the pi GPIO to the output header works perfectly (as they are arranged in the standard GPIO format)
the 2x13 connections on the bottom right are the standard Pi header, those on the right are where I would suggest connecting the ribbon cable.
(I have done this with my 2.8" display, it works perfectly).
Thanks guys! I just ordered my screen and a bunch of GPIO cables, I'll have to see how it all turns out

Return to “Other projects”