bobc
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:01 am

Re: Watercooled Raspberry PI

Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:44 pm

So the saying, "where there are trollish comments, there is a troll".

The R.Pi does not need watercooling, but feverish brains might ;)

PaulCheffus
Posts: 381
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:51 pm
Location: Lincolnshire UK

Re: Watercooled Raspberry PI

Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:51 pm

Hi

Mine seems quite happy inside its plastic case with no sign of heat build up.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

raspb
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:00 am

Re: Watercooled Raspberry PI

Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:37 pm

I would be grateful if someone could tell if there is a temperature sensor for the Raspberry PI components temperature measurements and how it should be put, solder it / plug it, any other components needed? I hope this request will provide some accurate responses because Raspberry PI is an electricity powered product.

secretreeve
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:39 am

Re: Watercooled Raspberry PI

Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:48 pm

the simple answer is there is no on board temperature sensors.

you can add after market probes though.

as for water cooling, its perfectly possible, alphacool (i think) sell minature blocks for cooling the memory chips on graphics cards

http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/custome ... 14145.html

you'd also need 2 of these

http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/custome ... 14142.html

some fittings, tubing, reseviour and a pump.

a radiator wouldnt REALLY be needed because the res could dissipate the little heat generated.

however, there is a simple premis to water cooling

it will only cool as low as your room temperature.

if your rooms at 24*c, thats as cool as it will run, well, a couple of *c over because of pump generated heat.

raspb
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:00 am

Re: Watercooled Raspberry PI

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:19 pm

secretreeve wrote:the simple answer is there is no on board temperature sensors.

you can add after market probes though.

as for water cooling, its perfectly possible, alphacool (i think) sell minature blocks for cooling the memory chips on graphics cards

http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/custome ... 14145.html

you'd also need 2 of these

http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/custome ... 14142.html

some fittings, tubing, reseviour and a pump.

a radiator wouldnt REALLY be needed because the res could dissipate the little heat generated.

however, there is a simple premis to water cooling

it will only cool as low as your room temperature.

if your rooms at 24*c, thats as cool as it will run, well, a couple of *c over because of pump generated heat.
Awesome.

raspb
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:00 am

Re: Watercooled Raspberry PI

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 pm

I don't mind if anyone or others are interested to do this project? Hope this project inspires others. The faster this project gets done the better and I hope there are water cooled Raspberry PI kits and watercooled Raspberry PI units being sold.


remsnet
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:32 pm
Location: Planet Gaia
Contact: Website Yahoo Messenger

Re: Watercooled Raspberry PI

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:49 am

raspb wrote:Could the Raspberry PI have watercooling apparatus included to cool the processor? Water cooled retailers have developed a niche offering various things for water cooling, radiators, water blocs, tubing, reservoirs, pumps etc. Latest / Recent issue in Custom PC magazine in Britain, #108, has a feature about building a custom water bloc, could a copper water bloc be made or sourced and perhaps smaller watercooled parts?

PUT an PI into an "Oil Tank" shuold gain you exec the PI at 3 GhZ or more without failture any compoments . Like This PC within an Aquarium :-)

http://www.gamesaktuell.de/PC-Games-Har ... 407480/#tp

have Fun.

User avatar
cyrano
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:48 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: Watercooled Raspberry PI

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:22 pm

I think it's a wonderful idea. Go for it! And while you're at it, add a couple of spoilers and skirts too. And maybe a turbo or two :lol:

User avatar
malakai
Posts: 1383
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:35 am
Contact: Website

Re: Watercooled Raspberry PI

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:42 pm

The bigger market would be to create water cooling for cell phones and Ipads similar chips similar temps. And they compute. You are now dealing in 100x the volume sold vs the Pi. Once you convince Apple the need for such a thing and start producing tens of millions all those $600 devices. Which in turn is a more viable market to recoup the cost and effort. Then once you have generated enough money you could easily design something for the pi and cost/profit wouldn't be an issue. Just food for thought :lol:
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

TarjeiB
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:33 pm

Re: Watercooled Raspberry PI

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:37 pm

raspb wrote:I would be grateful if someone could tell if there is a temperature sensor for the Raspberry PI components temperature measurements and how it should be put, solder it / plug it, any other components needed? I hope this request will provide some accurate responses because Raspberry PI is an electricity powered product.
You can measure using the internal temp gauge of the SoC.
The command is :

Code: Select all

vcgencmd measure_temp
More info here: http://elinux.org/RPI_vcgencmd_usage

I believe a temperature up to 85C is considered completely safe, if it goes above that the CPU will automatically be throttled.

PS. The idea of a watercooled Raspberry Pi is nice as a cool project if you feel like building something; however it is completely unneccessary.

ArcherBoy27
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:36 am

Re: Watercooled Raspberry PI

Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:01 am

TarjeiB wrote:
raspb wrote:I would be grateful if someone could tell if there is a temperature sensor for the Raspberry PI components temperature measurements and how it should be put, solder it / plug it, any other components needed? I hope this request will provide some accurate responses because Raspberry PI is an electricity powered product.
You can measure using the internal temp gauge of the SoC.
The command is :

Code: Select all

vcgencmd measure_temp
More info here: http://elinux.org/RPI_vcgencmd_usage

I believe a temperature up to 85C is considered completely safe, if it goes above that the CPU will automatically be throttled.

PS. The idea of a watercooled Raspberry Pi is nice as a cool project if you feel like building something; however it is completely unneccessary.
errrr i think the pi shuts down once the temp reaches that high.....
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who get binary, and those who don't

JimmyN
Posts: 1109
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:05 pm
Location: Virginia, USA

Re: Watercooled Raspberry PI

Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:37 pm

If you monitor the clock freq and temp using vcgencmd it will begin to throttle at about 80C, and keep reducing the clock as the temperature rises. By the time it gets to 85C it will have throttled back to the minimum speed setting. I've never had one shut down from high temp even when it went above 90C for a short time.

Return to “Other projects”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests