Drith

Re: Security/Airsoft Sentry

Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:35 pm

A project I have been wanting to get started is an Automated Sentry, and Non-Weaponized Security Sentries.

Sentry Software:
https://sites.google.com/site/projectsentrygun/home

P.S. Will I be able to use the RPi as a replacement for an arduino?

mikeanthonywild

Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:50 pm

Sounds like a cool project, I was pretty impressed by a couple that are on YouTube. With regards to the suitability of R-Pi as a base for your project, I would say definitely. Interfacing will be a bit different to Arduino though as I don't believe you can explicitly reference the IO pins. Instead your hardware would have to be connected up via some interface such as USB or serial. If nothing is provided by the manufacturer then you will also have to write your own interface code which, if you don't have experience with Linux programming and something like C, could be a pretty tough challenge. That said, there's probably plenty of interface libraries for Linux for most hardware devices so you should be covered.

abishur

Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:07 pm

That is an excellent question! ;)

At this point in time we've been told that the r-pi will come with 16 GPIO 3v3 DC pins. They *might* choose to leave these unattached such that anyone who needs them can solder them on, but we'll have to wait for the official word on the final boards.

Now with a simple interface that means there's a lot of things we can do with these pins, but the real question is do you need analog signals, or do you just want digital signals? I was thinking about using the r-pi as the brains is a security system with read switches on the windows, and maybe a usb camera at each of the two doors. All of this would work fine with digital signals, but if you want analog you need to look for an analog to digital convertor to make it work.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

obarthelemy

Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:14 pm

One advantage of the Pi is that it has a good camera interface, which I think *will* be both physically and software-ly accessible.

Drith

Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:02 pm

Will one RPi be able to Remotely control another one?

If so, I want to build a few sentry each with a RPi in it, and a tablet to remotely control them.

obarthelemy

Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:08 pm

No reason why not. Just network them somehow (wifi sounds good) and write a master and several slave apps. Actually, one slave app installed several times ^^

Drith

Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:00 pm

I should of added this to my previous questions.

Will I be able to use one RPi to communicate with another one without a router?

Blars

Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:57 am

To hook two together on ethernet with no hub or switch, you would need a cable designed for that. Any reasonable number could be hooked with the appropriate ethernet switches.

Drith

Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:50 pm

Wireless connection without a hub or switch

Return to “Other projects”