MrWm

Uploading Pictures to Google Photos

Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:09 pm

Hi everybody!
I have a project where I have my pi take a photo outside once every five minutes. I was wondering if there was a method of uploading the photos to Google photos since they provide "unlimited" free photo storage. I had searched the forums on this topic already but there seems to be nothing which would work.
I tried using googlecl (link below), but it throws off an error page when authenticating. (It is also deprecated)
https://code.google.com/p/googlecl/wiki ... pts#Picasa
I have also searched up how to use picasa, but it seems like there's no support for the Linux version a long time ago (since 2006).
Is there a method of uploading pictures to Google Photos (using python preferably)?
Last edited by MrWm on Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LOOK! A RAINBOW!!!

DougieLawson

Re: Uploading Pictures to Google Photos

Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:27 pm

Start here: https://developers.google.com/picasa-we ... ibrary-v10

I'm fairly sure you'll be able to hack something together with that and the picamera python library.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

MrWm

Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:18 am

DougieLawson wrote:Start here: https://developers.google.com/picasa-we ... ibrary-v10

I'm fairly sure you'll be able to hack something together with that and the picamera python library.
I checked that out already. Apparently, it doesn't work for me. Even the examples they provided do not work. They throw an error 401 or 403 with the message of "Authentication required" or something.
I think it has something to do with OAuth2 or something related that is giving me this grief.
LOOK! A RAINBOW!!!

stderr

Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:58 am

MrWm wrote: They throw an error 401 or 403 with the message of "Authentication required" or something.
I think it has something to do with OAuth2 or something related that is giving me this grief.
I haven't used this library but obviously you need to authenticate to upload and if this part of google is like the gmail part, you have to allow less than super secure authentication in your options in google before you can do anything. Really, you can have everything right but that and you will think you are out to lunch without your two slices of bread.

DougieLawson

Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:56 pm

MrWm wrote: I checked that out already. Apparently, it doesn't work for me. Even the examples they provided do not work. They throw an error 401 or 403 with the message of "Authentication required" or something.
Are you doing it with python2 or python3? Switch to python2.

Are you attempting to use a Google API that's been deprecated?
https://developers.google.com/picasa-web/code is supposed to be the current version (unless Google's web pages are out of date).
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

MrWm

Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:04 am

DougieLawson wrote: Are you doing it with python2 or python3? Switch to python2.

Are you attempting to use a Google API that's been deprecated?
https://developers.google.com/picasa-web/code is supposed to be the current version (unless Google's web pages are out of date).
I was using Python2 to do it. I'll look into it once I finish my homework.
LOOK! A RAINBOW!!!

MrWm

Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:06 am

Ok. I noticed that the API for picasa using python is depreciated deprecated. :(
Is there a way to run an objective C app (or java) on the raspberry pi for this purpose or is there even a way to do tackle this problem?! :|
Last edited by MrWm on Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LOOK! A RAINBOW!!!

Douglas6

Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:21 am

I try to allow for non-english native speakers on this forum, but I'd like to point out that there is a difference between 'deprecated' and 'depreciated'.

MrWm

Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:01 pm

Douglas6 wrote:I try to allow for non-english native speakers on this forum, but I'd like to point out that there is a difference between 'deprecated' and 'depreciated'.
Hahaha.. :lol: I didn't see my spelling mistake.
LOOK! A RAINBOW!!!

Douglas6

Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:22 pm

MrWm wrote:Hahaha.. :lol: I didn't see my spelling mistake.
It probably got 'auto-corrected'. Seen it alot on this forum; bugs the crap outta me. Sorry.

db414813

Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:12 pm

I have an idea. In google photos you have an option to add google photos to your gdrive. So if you can upload to google drive then you should be able to upload to the google photos folder in your drive. I have motioneyesos on a pi and will be giving this a try soon.

charudattu

Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:56 pm

Does it summarise to say , that GoogleCl does not work anymore.

Has anyone tried to Authenticate Online recently ?

It used to work some years back, but suddenly Google changed Authentication method.

Any help to get it to work ?

MrWm

Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:30 am

db414813 wrote:I have an idea. In google photos you have an option to add google photos to your gdrive. So if you can upload to google drive then you should be able to upload to the google photos folder in your drive. I have motioneyesos on a pi and will be giving this a try soon.
Sure I have tried that earlier, but it seems to fail everytime I try to authenticate. Like I said earlier, even their provided examples do not work. :(
Also, the whole point of using Google Photos is to take advantage of their "unlimited" photo storage instead of the 15GB in Google Drive.
charudattu wrote:Does it summarise to say , that GoogleCl does not work anymore.

Has anyone tried to Authenticate Online recently ?

It used to work some years back, but suddenly Google changed Authentication method.

Any help to get it to work ?
Yes, I have tried doing this via web browser with the pi but with no success.
LOOK! A RAINBOW!!!

sardaclan

Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:52 am

I am stuck as well. I have been following http://makezine.com/projects/raspberry-pi-photo-booth/ instructions to the letter and i get it all to work up to where i need to upload a pic to google photos. it just sticks at preparing photo for hours until i cancel the operation. then it tells me the album failed to create.
i can upload images from my laptop and then download them from my Pi but i cant up load them and im a super noob beginner and cant seem to figure it out.
I have uninstalled Luakit and reinstalled it and no change... HELP...

danhnam.hoang

Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:28 am

MrWm wrote:
Hi everybody!
I have a project where I have my pi take a photo outside once every five minutes. I was wondering if there was a method of uploading the photos to Google photos since they provide "unlimited" free photo storage. I had searched the forums on this topic already but there seems to be nothing which would work.
I tried using googlecl (link below), but it throws off an error page when authenticating. (It is also deprecated)
I have also searched up how to use picasa, but it seems like there's no support for the Linux version a long time ago (since 2006).
Is there a method of uploading pictures to Google Photos (using python preferably)?
Hi MrWm,
I aslo have a project same as this and have this problem,
Currently, I'm using Goole Drive, but it is limited storage space :(.
Can i discuss with you about this problem? Pls contact with me via danhnam.hoang@gmail.com

danhnam.hoang

Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:37 am

MrWm wrote:
Hi everybody!
Hi MrWm,
I aslo have a project same as this and have this problem,
Currently, I'm using Goole Drive, but it is limited storage space :(.
Can i discuss with you about this problem? Pls contact with me via danhnam.hoang@gmail.com

Querty88

Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:42 pm

Hi

I have a solution for this.
Rpi->Dropbox->IFTTT->GooglePhotos
https://learn.adafruit.com/cloud-cam-co ... opbox-sync
Follow this tutorial the part where they explain how to upload pictures to Dropbox. Then use IFTTT and create a rule to take each picture that arrives in the Dropbox folder and send it to a Google Photos album. Xarannnn -> unlimited space.

If you have a computer with Dropbox installed then you can run a script to automatically clean the folder where the photos arrive (once a day or once a week...).

Hope it helped.

Return to “Other projects”