mchlwllmthms

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:31 pm

Is there a command to restart screenly without rebooting? I'm working on a script to sync assets/database but need a way to restart the viewer to load the new db.

jferrett

Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:01 am

This is a bit of a newbie questions as I am just beginning to play with Screenplay. Can this be run without access to a network? i.e. can I load it with images on a network and then take it somewhere without and it will play them?

Thanks

mchlwllmthms

Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:39 pm

jferrett wrote:This is a bit of a newbie questions as I am just beginning to play with Screenplay. Can this be run without access to a network? i.e. can I load it with images on a network and then take it somewhere without and it will play them?

Thanks
Yes, you can. Any locally stored assets should work, but it won't cache web assets for offline play.

joachimpr

Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:37 pm

Hi there,

Great software. I would like to know if it is possible to point screenly OSE to a folder and have it just display all photos/videos in that folder and looping through them. When I add a photo or a video will screenly pick it up automatically (without physically managing the assets in the web portal.

Thanks
J

Personal website: http://jjprinsloo.co.za

joachimpr

Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:39 am

Hi there,

I would like to find out what the location is of the screenly database (sqlite db) where screenly stores it's asset data. I am currently pointing to the /home/pi/screenly/ansible/roles/screenly/files/screenly.db file but after adding assets through the web interface by uploading files to the device the database is still empty although the assets are displaying in screenly. I think this might be a template db file but I cannot seem to locate the file screenly uses.

Any ideas?

Thanks
J

Personal Website: http://www.jjprinsloo.co.za

vpetersson

Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:13 am

joachimpr wrote:Hi there,

I would like to find out what the location is of the screenly database (sqlite db) where screenly stores it's asset data. I am currently pointing to the /home/pi/screenly/ansible/roles/screenly/files/screenly.db file but after adding assets through the web interface by uploading files to the device the database is still empty although the assets are displaying in screenly. I think this might be a template db file but I cannot seem to locate the file screenly uses.

Any ideas?

Thanks
J
On an installed system, the database is located in /home/pi/.screenly/screenly.db
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi.
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

lintow

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:27 am

Thank you for the information all of this has been helpful to a new guy.
I have Screenly installed and it boots to the logo page, and loads before I can get to the settings. I am new here so thanks in advance.
I want to switch to a WiFi setting and I can only do Ethernet cable now I need to set it to work on WiFi, I have a connected Wireless keyboard and mouse. But I have tried all kinds of ways to get to the desktop, so I can choose WiFi.
It loads Raspbian Wheezy-installation and Screenly software.
Thank again.

tonyhansen

Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:45 pm

Turning off screenly OSE, stopping boot into screenly???

After installing OSE, I ran into some networking issues and cannot get into it over ssh. And OSE takes over the monitor, and eventually displays a message saying:
Unable to resolve management IP
At this point, I'm totally blocked from getting in either over ssh or via a keyboard and the monitor.

Does screenly look for any sort of indication that it should not start up? For example, some particular key being held down during startup? Or a GPIO button being held down? Or a file being present in the /boot partition? Or elsewhere?

If I were to mount the SD card onto another Linux system, I'll be able to look at the entire filesystem. What file can I rename to prevent OSE from taking over the monitor?

If I can get it to boot, is there a "clean way" to turn off Screenly OSE and turn it back on?

Otto

Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:47 am

tonyhansen wrote:Turning off screenly OSE, stopping boot into screenly???

After installing OSE, I ran into some networking issues and cannot get into it over ssh. And OSE takes over the monitor, and eventually displays a message saying:
Unable to resolve management IP
At this point, I'm totally blocked from getting in either over ssh or via a keyboard and the monitor.

Does screenly look for any sort of indication that it should not start up? For example, some particular key being held down during startup? Or a GPIO button being held down? Or a file being present in the /boot partition? Or elsewhere?

If I were to mount the SD card onto another Linux system, I'll be able to look at the entire filesystem. What file can I rename to prevent OSE from taking over the monitor?

If I can get it to boot, is there a "clean way" to turn off Screenly OSE and turn it back on?
You should be able to open a terminal session by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1 ?

Thyx54

Screenly OSE -- How to display intranet web pages ?

Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:02 pm

Hello !
I discoverd Screenly OSE a few weeks ago... I find it great, congratulations !!
I made the installation on several Raspberry Pi (2 and 3) of my own and it works fine with images and videos !
But I have a problem with displaying web pages hosted on an internal server of my network !!
When I try to add an asset to display a web page with an URL of the form :
http://www.xxx.yyy.zzz/directory (where http://www.xxx.yyy.zzz is the IP address of my intranet server)
I allways obtain the following error message : "Server Error: Could not retrieve file. Check the asset URL."
But the URL is OK and works fine with any web browser !
I didn't find any information about this problem on the forum...
Thank you very much for your help !!

vpetersson

Re: Screenly OSE -- How to display intranet web pages ?

Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:02 pm

Thyx54 wrote:Hello !
I discoverd Screenly OSE a few weeks ago... I find it great, congratulations !!
I made the installation on several Raspberry Pi (2 and 3) of my own and it works fine with images and videos !
But I have a problem with displaying web pages hosted on an internal server of my network !!
When I try to add an asset to display a web page with an URL of the form :
http://www.xxx.yyy.zzz/directory (where http://www.xxx.yyy.zzz is the IP address of my intranet server)
I allways obtain the following error message : "Server Error: Could not retrieve file. Check the asset URL."
But the URL is OK and works fine with any web browser !
I didn't find any information about this problem on the forum...
Thank you very much for your help !!
Screenly checks to make sure that the HTTP status is 20x before it allows you to add the assets. Try the following on the Pi

Code: Select all

$ python
>>> import requests
>>> r = requests.head('http://www.xxx.yyy.zzz')
>>> print r.status_code
If you get anything other than 20x, that would explain the issue.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi.
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

Thyx54

Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:42 pm

Thank You for your so quick anwer !!

I tried the requests object with python... and obtained the 403 error code : forbidden page !!

And the problem was due to the firewall running on my intranet server...

I made some changes in its configuration... and everything is now OK !

Thank you for your help !!

cwade

Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:58 pm

Hi, I'm also getting the "Unable to resolve management IP" but I am able to SSH into the system. Screenly just won't run and I can't access it through a browser. Any ideas?

Edit: Ok, I can access it through the browser, I just had to add the :8080 to the address. But it still won't show pictures on the HDMI output.
Edit 2: Got it working, turns out the date on the pi was off so it wasn't playing elements that were set to start today.

nefer

Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:09 pm

Hi People,

I started using Screenly OSE on my raspberry. I noticed that the screenly admin control webpage can be accessed without any security checks. I want to acces the Screenly control webpage from the outside world by port forwarding in my modem. However, this will meen that the entire world can acces my screenly control page. Is there a way to add authentication? I have seen on the issue forum of github that this request was done (item #260). However, its unclear to me wether this feature is now included in Screenly OSE or not and how to configure it.

Please help to add/enable authentication for the screenly admin web page

Thanks in advance!

HatlessCarlos

Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:48 am

Hello there, just installed Screenly on an Pi2 and i'm very happy with it. I'm wondering if the pi zero will be powerful enough to run it smoothly?

Cheers

bjornhallberg

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:33 am

Quick question: Is there a way to force / push a reload of a web page / asset using either OSE, Pro or 2?

I have this stats page that I only want reloaded when on external events. Right now I have a XMLHttpRequest going every 2 seconds and ob_get_contents() and I guess I could also make Screenly Pro do it automatically by tagging on ?whatever to the url and adding the asset multiple times. But it feels kind of unprofessional to hammer the server like this. Is it possible using the API? If so what sort of delay / latency are we looking at?

PiPhin

Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:12 pm

Just a question: is it possible to use Screenly offline, just loading local stored content?

PiPhin

Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:05 pm

Can you give me a hind how I can add display-times to the assets? Using just seconds doesn't do the trick for my usecase. I need to show certain videos at special times and dates depending on the hwclock (think about like displaying the lunchmenu while it's lunchtime or similar).

And yeah, it's a pitty that there is no way to blend between one asset and the next in any way.... going back to black sucks somewhat. Anyone around who found a goodlooking and easy to customize template or plugin for Wordpress to display stuff as an animated/dynamic website instead of using Powerpoint and export to video? I'm trying to write a html/php-page that will load and display weather-data from I2C-sensors. Pain in the ass, though

Piminiuser

Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:33 am

Whats the best way to accept cookie messages when you visit a webpage for the first time?
I must accept this message before i can see the webpage properly.
https://i.imgur.com/KW844z3.png

pauldow

Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:42 pm

I'm looking for information on refreshing web page assets in Screenly.
I didn't see this info in the FAQs, and I think I got some data in other postings, but I haven't been able to put it all together.

What I would like to do is display weather pages; radar, current conditions, and forecast. I'd prefer the radar page to get refreshed about every 15 minutes, the current page every hour, and the forecast page every 6 hours.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've read, it seems that the URL pages are refreshed every 5 times the playlist is gone through. Since I don't have that many pages, that would hit the servers every minute. Even though it's allowed, that wouldn't be very nice grabbing all that data I don't need. I grew up in the DOS days where 640K is all anyone would need, so I'm technologically frugal.

Is there a way to do this, or at least only refresh each page at the 15 minute rate?

Also, is there a documentation page for Screenly, or just the FAQs and some installation instructions?

Thanks

Blazers

Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:21 pm

Hi folks,

Has anyone got the Screenly OSE working on secure HTTPS pages with certificate verification? I'm getting the following messages in the System Info log: -

Apr 03 17:18:37 SCHRPI005 python[704]: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/requests/packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py:821: InsecureRequestWarning: Unverified HTTPS request is being made. Adding certificate verification is strongly advised. See: https://urllib3.readthedocs.org/en/latest/security.html

And have easily followed the first few PIP steps in the url linked from the above message. But not sure how to actually get Screenly to use this certifi function? Any help greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Jonovich

mortti

Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:53 pm

Screenly OSE running on B+ boot process stops on CLI where it requires "screenly login:". Updated 4.4.2017 to latest dev-version but this problem still there. I have 4 screens and all of them doing same thing now and then. Usually resolves by rebooting again but sometimes needs to re-flash SD card. What can be done to troubleshoot this issue and are there any commands to start screenly manually?

I know in the past you needed to select "boot to X" from raspi-config but this option is not available anymore.

Henry_K12

Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:31 pm

Just some quick feedback from my experience with Screenly - My background is hardware design which i did for many years and I have played with Raspberry Pi's off and on since they came out. Currently I've worked for 10yrs doing tech support at a large high school. I was very excited to find Screenly as we need a solution to display various information across our large campus. Of course the Pro version looks pretty sweet but I don't see our school being able to justify the subscription cost - I would ask you to consider something like a yearly contract for something like $300 to $400 for K12 and limit it to something like 4 to 6 screens - just a thought.
The open source version looks very workable and we did some testing ---- biggest issue I have is that in my testing I can have Screenly running nicely on a Pi and then I pull the power (simulating a power failure --- or a staff member accidentally pulling the power cord) and on the reboot I get the splash screen and then a screen full of Linux boot info and then the login screen. This is not good - needs to reboot back into the Screenly app. Let me update this comment as on one of our restarts the Pi did auto launch just fine --- so it seems sporadic that it only launched once out of 4 restarts.
Other issue of concern is no password to access the management screen - this is an issue certainly at the high school level where a small percentage of students will try to access the management screen. Once they know we're using Screenly they will quickly learn all they need is an IP. So even the most crude security would be something.

But indeed thanks for your work on this project.

Henry_K12

Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:55 pm

OK I may have posted too early on the Screenly reboot issue ----- I had not run the major update:
bash <(curl -sL https://www.screenly.io/install-ose.sh)

I've tortured it several times with shutdowns and pulling the power and it reboots fine.

ahmedramze

Fri May 19, 2017 9:36 am

I did installation on RaPi3 and its work perfect ,

but its not on my required I have NAS storage on my network and attached to RaPi NAS support SMB and also support Twinnkey (media server),
I need RaPi scan folder for example /mnt/nas1 every (specific time) or on click here to scan folder ,
and making assets on exist file on NAS , which its attached to RaPi ,

then I can make the schedule for play (not Uploading file ,

I have files for 1 month like 1T or more can not upload it to RaPi , and I have 5 RaPi playing from network ( not Internet connection)

pi1.PNG
pi1.PNG (16.47 KiB) Viewed 6222 times

Return to “Other projects”