djison

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:10 pm

Hi thanks for your quick reply.

So I am brand new to raspberry PI, have no programming or hardware experience! So I think your saying this is probably way out of my league!

Thanks anyway, I suppose my only other option is to get a 2nd Pi running screenly and feed them both into a HDMI switcher and just switch when we need the bar calls to go off, but id still need a way of triggering the correct video's to play, so this is maybe as difficult as my first option!

Once again thanks for your input.

nolang

Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:09 pm

Hello,

I just installed the latest version of Screenly OSE and have problems with the browser displaying the content properly. The URL in question is: https://business.untappd.com/boards/6863

Any suggestions you can provide for troubleshooting would be very appreciated.

kspark99

Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:40 pm

I love this software, but I'm having a slight problem. I've created my setup from the Screenly OSE image provided, updated it and it runs fine when it's connected to the internet. But when I unhook it from my network, it plays a random number of assets and then goes back to the screen showing "Unable to resolve management IP" for several seconds before starting another random number of assets. I'm trying to use this for a display at a Boy Scouts event where I won't have internet (we're starting a drone program and I want to display some video at the Blast Into Scouting event), so this kind of needs to work without it. I've updated everything I can think of, but this one has me stumped. Any help would be appreciated.

Kurt

vpetersson

Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:44 am

kspark99 wrote:I love this software, but I'm having a slight problem. I've created my setup from the Screenly OSE image provided, updated it and it runs fine when it's connected to the internet. But when I unhook it from my network, it plays a random number of assets and then goes back to the screen showing "Unable to resolve management IP" for several seconds before starting another random number of assets. I'm trying to use this for a display at a Boy Scouts event where I won't have internet (we're starting a drone program and I want to display some video at the Blast Into Scouting event), so this kind of needs to work without it. I've updated everything I can think of, but this one has me stumped. Any help would be appreciated.

Kurt
Hi Kurt,

I believe that this has been addressed in the development branch.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi.
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

kspark99

Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:24 pm

That sounds great. Is it in the latest version you can upgrade to, or is it coming at a later date?

vpetersson

Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:38 pm

kspark99 wrote:That sounds great. Is it in the latest version you can upgrade to, or is it coming at a later date?
We only do build releases for every major release, but you can just run the install script and answer yes to the to the question if you want to install the development release.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi.

atmosx

Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:58 pm

Hello,

It's been a while since I played around with Screenly. I'm trying to re-install OSE version on a RPi model B. The instructions say:

Configure boot behavior to boot into X (required)

In order to enable that option in Jessie Lite I need to install lightdm, is that correct or am I missing something?

vpetersson

Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:52 pm

atmosx wrote:Hello,

It's been a while since I played around with Screenly. I'm trying to re-install OSE version on a RPi model B. The instructions say:

Configure boot behavior to boot into X (required)

In order to enable that option in Jessie Lite I need to install lightdm, is that correct or am I missing something?
That's a good point. You do not need to configure this anymore. We will update the instructions.

scampisi

Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:37 am

I have a screenly OSE pi that i have inherited the responsibility for. it runs a daily display of a single spreadsheet that is stored on the google drive and is a google "sheets" document.

however, now the screen says that "the version of the browser you are using is no longer supported."

is there a way to use a different browser in screenly or update the browser that is included. i just downloaded the update for Screenly and installed it but i still get the same message.

i actually setup a brand new install of screenly on another pi and had the same problem because no one knows the password to the one i am supposed to be fixing. is there a way to set the password for the pi user back to default. i don't see a etc folder in the SD card when i look at it on my windows pc and i haven't got a way to look at it from the pi since i can't login. Ugg!!

vpetersson

Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:06 am

scampisi wrote:I have a screenly OSE pi that i have inherited the responsibility for. it runs a daily display of a single spreadsheet that is stored on the google drive and is a google "sheets" document.

however, now the screen says that "the version of the browser you are using is no longer supported."

is there a way to use a different browser in screenly or update the browser that is included. i just downloaded the update for Screenly and installed it but i still get the same message.
This is a known issue unfortunately. The browser Screenly OSE is using is getting old and there is unfortunately no update to it upstream. We might look into recompiling the browser by hand.
scampisi wrote: i actually setup a brand new install of screenly on another pi and had the same problem because no one knows the password to the one i am supposed to be fixing. is there a way to set the password for the pi user back to default. i don't see a etc folder in the SD card when i look at it on my windows pc and i haven't got a way to look at it from the pi since i can't login. Ugg!!
You can't recover the password from a Windows without running Linux on it. You can try the steps here to use a live cd:
http://www.microhowto.info/howto/reset_ ... ution.html

atmosx

Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:02 pm

I noticed that currently raspberry pi's do not have swap space by defualt. I wonder if is this a sane configuration for raspberry pi's 512. I understand that adding swap will be slow, due to low read/write speed on SDCards, but is this recommended?

I think it's a tidy bit dangerous situation to have a model B with 512 MB of RAM without another 256 MB of swap space. Any views/comments on this?

vpetersson

Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:10 pm

atmosx wrote:I noticed that currently raspberry pi's do not have swap space by defualt. I wonder if is this a sane configuration for raspberry pi's 512. I understand that adding swap will be slow, due to low read/write speed on SDCards, but is this recommended?

I think it's a tidy bit dangerous situation to have a model B with 512 MB of RAM without another 256 MB of swap space. Any views/comments on this?
I would strongly encourage you to never use swap on the Raspberry Pi. I find it reckless that this is enabled by default in Rasbian. Enabling swap will significantly shorten the lifespan of your SD card.

atmosx

Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:13 pm

vpetersson wrote:
atmosx wrote:I noticed that currently raspberry pi's do not have swap space by defualt. I wonder if is this a sane configuration for raspberry pi's 512. I understand that adding swap will be slow, due to low read/write speed on SDCards, but is this recommended?

I would strongly encourage you to never use swap on the Raspberry Pi. I find it reckless that this is enabled by default in Rasbian. Enabling swap will significantly shorten the lifespan of your SD card.
Thanks for the hint.

ETexan

Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:08 pm

However...I would like to be able to add the ability for someone behind the bar to press a button connected to the GPIO board, which then runs a 20 second video with audio along the lines of 'ladies and gentleman, the show will commence in 5 mins' and then another button runs a video for 3 mins and another for 1 min.
Seems like a button could initiate a script that sent a series of POST commands to deactivate the still images and then activate the video - is this possible?

TonyO51165

Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:58 am

I'm currently running Screenly, I'm in the process of getting it all set up, but I'm not sure how to turn it off in between times I'm able to work on it. I've heard that if you just unplug the Pi, it may damage it or the SD card....or both. Is there a safe way to shut down? Thanks in advance....

vpetersson

Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:48 am

TonyO51165 wrote:I'm currently running Screenly, I'm in the process of getting it all set up, but I'm not sure how to turn it off in between times I'm able to work on it. I've heard that if you just unplug the Pi, it may damage it or the SD card....or both. Is there a safe way to shut down? Thanks in advance....
There is currently no power management built into Screenly OSE. The best way currently is to simply put a timer on the monitor and leave the Raspberry Pi on (it draws very little power).

TonyO51165

Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:28 am

Thank you for your reply...I guess I'll just have to take my chances on hard booting it. I had left a question over on Screenly support, but maybe you can answer it here. How am I able to change wifi settings...I'm working on my project here and my Pi was already set up to work off my home network. When I take it to work, it will be a different wifi and it is password protected. Will it automatically come up asking me for credentials or do I need to incorporate it in to the programming....how does that work? Thanks again....

vpetersson

Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:08 am

TonyO51165 wrote:Thank you for your reply...I guess I'll just have to take my chances on hard booting it. I had left a question over on Screenly support, but maybe you can answer it here. How am I able to change wifi settings...I'm working on my project here and my Pi was already set up to work off my home network. When I take it to work, it will be a different wifi and it is password protected. Will it automatically come up asking me for credentials or do I need to incorporate it in to the programming....how does that work? Thanks again....
For anything related to Screenly Pro, please use the official support channel.

ETexan

Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:16 pm

...but I'm not sure how to turn it off in between times I'm able to work on it.
If you have a keyboard connected to the Pi, then press ctrl + alt + F1 which will drop you to a command line. Then execute the command sudo shutdown -h

If you do not have a keyboard connected, then use Putty or something similar to make an ssh connection to the Pi and then enter the shutdown command described above.

TonyO51165

Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:32 pm

Actually I did leave a question on the screenly site but I hadn't received an answer yet. Thank you ETexan, I'll have to try it when I get home.

ETexan

Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:12 pm

I'm hoping to get some help on using the 'sort' API call as described here:

POST /api/order

Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded

Code: Select all

ids:"793406aa1fd34b85aa82614004c0e63a,1c5cfa719d1f4a9abae16c983a18903b,9c41068f3b7e452baf4dc3f9b7906595" // comma separated ids
I've been using the Chrome POSTMAN add-on to GET information about the asset_id values for the screenly assets I've configured and have set up another POSTMAN page as shown below to try to change that order.
apiOrder.JPG
apiOrder.JPG (54.82 KiB) Viewed 4540 times
I've tried various permutations of single quotes and double quotes around the key and the value field entries, but they all result in

"Sorry, this page does not exist!"

I've also tried building the call under the middle tab - x-www-form-urlencoded with the same lack of results. Just the "Sorry" message.

I took a look at server.py and this looks like the relevant section of code:

@route('/api/assets/order', method="POST")
@api
def playlist_order():
    assets_helper.save_ordering(db_conn, request.POST.get('ids', '').split(','))
nano does some strange coloring which I attempt to reproduce below:

request.POST.get('ids', '').split(','))

Not sure if that is relevant.

asset_helper, as a .pyc file does not seem to be able to be examined, so that's as far as I got that way.

I've also attempted to hand build an entry and put it into the URL bar, with no luck.

Any advice would be appreciated - thanks!

vpetersson

Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:18 am

[quote="ETexan"
]asset_helper, as a .pyc file does not seem to be able to be examined, so that's as far as I got that way.
[/quote]

.pyc files are compiled Python files. You should look at the .py file that should be in the same folder.

You might also want to take a look at the unofficial API documentation:
https://github.com/wireload/screenly-os ... ocs/api.md

ETexan

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:24 pm

Thanks for you reply, I have looked at the unofficial documentation and I think I am applying them properly, however I still get a "Sorry, this page does not exist!" reply.

I've simplified it as much as possible by using this cURL command on the pi running screenly:

curl --data-urlencode "ids=2d8331612b6c4c0e8075417a2d2e5db5,00784525f83c4fc391c2f52a2f54e5f2,d14b76a2ad83442597008f7a39e741a2" http://localhost:8080/api/order
Even though the above is broken across three lines, it is entered as a single line in the linux shell.

Is this something that should work?

on edit....

Found the problem...

On your unofficial api documentation page that you referenced above, the path for the order function is shown as:

POST /api/order

When it should be

POST /api/assets/order

when I use that, it works.

And, yes, I probably should have figured that out earlier from the code I referenced at the @route statement I copied earlier.

But, still, maybe the page could be updated?

tonyhansen

Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:52 am

I just installed Screenly OSE and like a lot about it. Thank you for all your efforts.

There are a few areas I feel could use some attention.
  • I found the script to enable HTTPS by poking around. This should be documented as being available, along with a note that it changes the admin interface from using port 8080 to using 443 (along with a forwarding listener on port 80).
  • I could not find anywhere how to enable authentication for the admin interface. I did a search on this forum and found a few posts from a few years ago about some pull requests that would enable basic authentication. But if the feature was actually enabled, I don't see any documentation on how to do so.
  • The grabbers to reorder the list don't seem to work on an iPad.
  • It would be nice if there were a thumbnail preview of the assets, or a button that can be used to see what the image or video asset is.

ETexan

Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:09 pm

tonyhansen wrote:
  • The grabbers to reorder the list don't seem to work on an iPad.
Surely that must be an issue with the iPad browser's html implementation and nothing to do with screenly?

Return to “Other projects”