mytil

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:19 am

Black screen all night !

Hi, i use the last version of screenly : all day, when i come back to work, i see that the screen is black : during the day, a video test is played normally... during 6-8 hours... have you an idea why there is thisblack screen ? i need to reboot my raspberry pi 3all days....thank you for your help, advice !

vpetersson

Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:20 pm

mytil wrote:Black screen all night !

Hi, i use the last version of screenly : all day, when i come back to work, i see that the screen is black : during the day, a video test is played normally... during 6-8 hours... have you an idea why there is thisblack screen ? i need to reboot my raspberry pi 3all days....thank you for your help, advice !
Hard to say, but make sure that you're running on the latest version.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

mytil

Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:25 pm

yes it is the last version -_-

Worthog3000

Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:23 pm

Would running Screenly on a Pi 3 improve page loading (especially complex sites like weatherunderground.com) or is that limited by uzbl?

Also, has anyone thought to bust this forum out into its own space?

vpetersson

Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:37 am

Worthog3000 wrote:Would running Screenly on a Pi 3 improve page loading (especially complex sites like weatherunderground.com) or is that limited by uzbl?
It's mostly limited by uzbl. There are two issues: 1) It's using a very old version of webkit and 2) it's not hardware accelerated.
Worthog3000 wrote: Also, has anyone thought to bust this forum out into its own space?
Yes, we have thought about it and might be creating a Screenly specific forum.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),

Worthog3000

Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:56 pm

vpetersson wrote:
Worthog3000 wrote:Would running Screenly on a Pi 3 improve page loading (especially complex sites like weatherunderground.com) or is that limited by uzbl?
It's mostly limited by uzbl. There are two issues: 1) It's using a very old version of webkit and 2) it's not hardware accelerated.
Worthog3000 wrote: Also, has anyone thought to bust this forum out into its own space?
Yes, we have thought about it and might be creating a Screenly specific forum.
Does the Pro version have the same limitation?

vpetersson

Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:23 am

Worthog3000 wrote: Does the Pro version have the same limitation?
In the current iteration, yes. We are however working on resolving this in the next version.

kawaja

Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:56 pm

mytil wrote:yes it is the last version -_-
the 2015-11-03 version is the only one that works for me (no black screen ever). the 04-20-2016 produces black screen after leaving it on for a while (time varied, was unpredictable).

bthult

Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:38 pm

Is there any way to have a rtsp stream on the dashbaord?

mytil

Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:12 pm

Thank you ! do you know where i can download this version ? 2015-11-03-Screenly_OSE_4GB ?

thank you very much !

igagaoua

Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:52 pm

Hello, I am a total newbie with the pi and screenly. I was able to install it on the SD card, the problem is when I try to access the control panel with the address given 192.168.1.47:8080, my browser gives an error.
Need Help with this!

mytil

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:50 am

what kind of error ?

igagaoua

Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:28 pm

Unable to access, I don"t know if after installing Screenly I should do something with my router or my browser.

dhayes

Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:45 pm

Hello All. Love screenly and have been playing around with it. We have a need to display a google calendar for the school. However, based on what I have been reading in order to do this we need to share the calendar and make it publicly available. We do not want the calendar to be accessible to anyone without a login to see it. Is it possible to display a google calendar without having it shared with the world? Is it possible that within screenly we can have a behind the screens login that will login to google and then display the calendar?

Thanks for any info
Dave

MattRichardson
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:43 pm

Thanks for this awesome product. It works very well. One question that I have: Is there a way to show the IP address again after it disappears? I see that I can do Ctrl+Alt+F3 to get to the command line and execute ifconfig. Is there some quick keyboard shortcut to show it in the nicely formatted way after it boots?

MattRichardson

Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:22 pm

One thing I discovered: You can create a Google Slides deck to run on Screenly. Any changes you make to it on Google Drive can be pulled in automatically on an interval. It works quite well on Pi 3. Here's how I did it:
  • In Google Slides, go to File -> Publish to the web.
  • Select the auto-advance time you want (all slides must have the same amount of auto advance time, unfortunately).
  • Select "Start slideshow as soon as the player loads"
  • Select "Restart the slideshow after the last slide"
  • Click publish and copy the resulting URL.
  • In the Screenly interface, click New Asset and paste in your URL.
  • Let's say you want Screenly to pull the latest deck every 3 hours, then set the duration to 10800 seconds.
  • Create another new asset and paste in the URL again. This time, you'll have to modify the URL slightly. So I changed the &delayms=3000 parameter in the URL to &delayms=3001.
  • Set the duration of the second asset to 10800 seconds.
I'm not sure why the second URL needed to be different in order to trigger the refresh, but it did the trick. Now any updates made to the Google Slide deck are pulled into Screenly every 3 hours.

JiteshD

Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:47 am

Raspberry Pi 3 + Screenly OSE + WIFI Settings Overwritten on Reboot by Screenly Network Manager

New to Raspberry/Screenly OSE

Kindly guide me if myself missing any configuration or is this an issue ?

Issue is wifi settings are lost after reboot - Screenly Network Manager rewrites Interface File
"/etc/network/interface"

Below are the steps performed for Screenly App OSE
1. Pi 3 - Installed Raspberry Jessie Lite
2. Configured WIFI using the below link worked fine.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... ess-cli.md
3. Rebooted and checked ifconfig receive inet address of wlan0
4. Installed Screenly OSE through command line
$ bash <(curl -sL https://www.screenly.io/install-ose.sh)
worked fine first time - got the ip on the splash screen - wlan0
Able to add Image/ Web URL worked fine.
5. Rebooted - Interface File was overwritten with Sample Network File it seems !!
as per below link
https://github.com/wireload/screenly-ose/issues/454
https://github.com/GreatFruitOmsk/screenly- ose/blob/3d168335b95015ce7eca8fc8131d64ebf992ba06/ansible/roles/network/tasks/main.yml
Some Content of above file..
copy:
owner: root
group: root
mode: 0644
src: network.ini-sample
dest: /boot/network.ini

6. Later myself was able to solve this issue using the below link and settings
allow-hotplug wlan0
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid "ssid"
wpa-psk "password"

or providing ssid and psk in wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

7. But again on a reboot all the interface settings were gone back to default
as below file..
# Generated by Screenly Network Manager
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

Kindly guide me if someone has face this issue so that wifi settings are permanent.
Last edited by JiteshD on Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrsyake

Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:14 pm

I downloaded the img from github and installed. When I start my raspberry pi Screenly splash screen appears then I get the message unable to resolve IP address then the buck bunny video plays over and over. When I alt+ctrl+F1 I am able to input the username and password but the video is looping the entire time so I cannot see what I'm doing. I was able to expand file and reboot but I do not have an IP address in order to disable the video or add additional material. Please assist.

JiteshD

Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:54 pm

mrsyake wrote:I downloaded the img from github and installed. When I start my raspberry pi Screenly splash screen appears then I get the message unable to resolve IP address then the buck bunny video plays over and over. When I alt+ctrl+F1 I am able to input the username and password but the video is looping the entire time so I cannot see what I'm doing. I was able to expand file and reboot but I do not have an IP address in order to disable the video or add additional material. Please assist.
Setup - Raspberry Pi 3 + Raspbian Jessie Lite + Screenly OSE + WIFI
Today i also faced the same issue in the morning, below is other workaround which worked for me.

1. Download RASPBIAN JESSIE LITE
2. Configure WIFI using the below link worked fine.
*Ensure you have entry for wlan0 and providing credentials for wifi in a file - wpa_supplicant.conf or manuall entry in /etc/network/interface

auto wlan0 [The "auto" command starts the interface at bootup for WIFI]
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf [This file contains the WIFI Credentials in Network Block]
iface default inet dhcp

or manual entry of ssid and psk as below:
allow-hotplug wlan0
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid "ssid"
wpa-psk "password"

3. [*Important Step]
Reboot, Login and check for Internet by below
Command - ifconfig wlan0 or ifconfig.
If the inet addr field has an address beside it, the Pi Screenly would display IP. If not, check your password and ESSID are correct.

4. Command Line Type sudo raspi-config and do the required changes

Expand the root file system (required)
Disable overscan (depends on your display)
Change keyboard mapping (optional)
Change time zone (optional, but Screenly’s scheduling uses this)
Enable SSH (optional)
Configure boot behavior to boot into X (required)
* The above did not work will give you an error as you do not have GUI in Lite. This is my understanding as of today.
Change password for 'pi’ user (recommended)
Once you’ve made all these changes, you must restart your Raspberry Pi

5. Install Screenly OSE

$ bash <(curl -sL https://www.screenly.io/install-ose.sh)

6. This should give you IP now on Screenly Splash, if not kindly check the /etc/network/interface and verify using ifconfig for wlan0 again type and reboot it should work.

Reference URL - https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... ess-cli.md
or
http://weworkweplay.com/play/automatica ... i-network/

7.Please see my above post for the issue faced in wifi settings on reboot and kindly confirm !
8. Request all to share if some understanding is not proper or any workaround !

vpetersson

Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:15 pm

MattRichardson wrote:Thanks for this awesome product. It works very well. One question that I have: Is there a way to show the IP address again after it disappears? I see that I can do Ctrl+Alt+F3 to get to the command line and execute ifconfig. Is there some quick keyboard shortcut to show it in the nicely formatted way after it boots?
Hey Matt,

Thanks for the kind words.

Good idea. It's not something we support right now, but it's an interesting idea. In Pro we have that built into the management interface, but that obviously works very differently then OSE.

vpetersson

Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:17 pm

MattRichardson wrote:One thing I discovered: You can create a Google Slides deck to run on Screenly. Any changes you make to it on Google Drive can be pulled in automatically on an interval. It works quite well on Pi 3. Here's how I did it:
[..]
I'm not sure why the second URL needed to be different in order to trigger the refresh, but it did the trick. Now any updates made to the Google Slide deck are pulled into Screenly every 3 hours.
Hi Matt,

That's a known issue in the current version. AFIK it should be fixed in the master branch, but there is another bug there right now. It should hopefully be resolved in the next stable release.

caseyd1020

Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:52 am

I've been using screenly to display a homemade dashboard type website. Yesterday I added a gague graphic from justgage.com

It uses Raphael but it will not load on screenly. I haven't done any debugging yet. Does anyone know why that won't work?

vpetersson

Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:54 am

caseyd1020 wrote:I've been using screenly to display a homemade dashboard type website. Yesterday I added a gague graphic from justgage.com

It uses Raphael but it will not load on screenly. I haven't done any debugging yet. Does anyone know why that won't work?
Tough to say. The web browser used (uzbl) is a bit old and doesn't render modern all modern web pages well.

djison

Bar System

Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:01 am

Hi all,

I am brand new to screenly and am probably running before walking but want to ask if you think the following is possible.

I want to use a screenly in a bar in a theatre, so as the people arrive to watch a show the screenly is doing its thing and showing images of all the shows coming up in the future, that works as expected now and is great.

However...I would like to be able to add the ability for someone behind the bar to press a button connected to the GPIO board, which then runs a 20 second video with audio along the lines of 'ladies and gentleman, the show will commence in 5 mins' and then another button runs a video for 3 mins and another for 1 min.

So in my mind the bar calls videos would need to have a higher priority than the normal screenly running, and the ideal would be when you press the bar calls button the normal screenly would fade out and the 20 second video would run and at the end would fade back to normal screenly.

Do you guys/girls think this is possible and if so is it something a newbie like myself could achieve? I assume would need some programming, but is this easy programming or hard programming.

Thanks for any help in advance

David.

vpetersson

Re: Bar System

Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:51 am

djison wrote:Hi all,

I am brand new to screenly and am probably running before walking but want to ask if you think the following is possible.

I want to use a screenly in a bar in a theatre, so as the people arrive to watch a show the screenly is doing its thing and showing images of all the shows coming up in the future, that works as expected now and is great.

However...I would like to be able to add the ability for someone behind the bar to press a button connected to the GPIO board, which then runs a 20 second video with audio along the lines of 'ladies and gentleman, the show will commence in 5 mins' and then another button runs a video for 3 mins and another for 1 min.

So in my mind the bar calls videos would need to have a higher priority than the normal screenly running, and the ideal would be when you press the bar calls button the normal screenly would fade out and the 20 second video would run and at the end would fade back to normal screenly.

Do you guys/girls think this is possible and if so is it something a newbie like myself could achieve? I assume would need some programming, but is this easy programming or hard programming.

Thanks for any help in advance

David.
While this would definitely be possible, I wouldn't call it trivial. It would involve rewriting part of the video handling (to be able to act on triggers), as well as writing the event handling for the GPIO input.

It's an interesting use case, but I'd say it would fall somewhere on the spectrum between medium to hard (depending on the experience with Screenly and hardware programming).

Return to “Other projects”