pantner

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:31 am

Am currently investigating using Screenly OSE at my work, a School (yrs 1-12).

The device will (most likely) not be given access to the internet on the VLAN it will be put on.

What will happen re:date/time. Is there an option to set it manually if we have to? or can we somehow tell it to use our own NTP server? (which is a DC and needs auth, so that probably won't work anyway)

and what is the deal with licencing, at the bottom of the OSE page it lists "Dual License: GPLv2 and Commercial License.".
We are quite pedantic about licencing, EULAs, etc at work and don't want to operate it if we "can't"

fruitoftheloom

Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:00 am

pantner wrote:Am currently investigating using Screenly OSE at my work, a School (yrs 1-12).

The device will (most likely) not be given access to the internet on the VLAN it will be put on.

What will happen re:date/time. Is there an option to set it manually if we have to? or can we somehow tell it to use our own NTP server? (which is a DC and needs auth, so that probably won't work anyway)

and what is the deal with licencing, at the bottom of the OSE page it lists "Dual License: GPLv2 and Commercial License.".
We are quite pedantic about licencing, EULAs, etc at work and don't want to operate it if we "can't"

Reagards RTC you can add a module like http://www.dx.com/p/ds3231-raspberry-pi ... dLX0JpwaAg
Retired disgracefully.....

vpetersson

Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:36 am

pantner wrote:Am currently investigating using Screenly OSE at my work, a School (yrs 1-12).

As fruitoftheloom correctly points out, if you don't have access to an NTP server (internal or external), you will need to add a RTC device. If not, the time wont' work.
pantner wrote: and what is the deal with licencing, at the bottom of the OSE page it lists "Dual License: GPLv2 and Commercial License.".
Like it says, it's dual licens. You can use OSE fully under GPLv2.

The reason why it is dual licensed is because we use elements of OSE in Screenly Pro (which isn't GPLv2'd).
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

pantner

Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:53 am

vpetersson wrote:

As fruitoftheloom correctly points out, if you don't have access to an NTP server (internal or external), you will need to add a RTC device. If not, the time wont' work.
Ok then, will need to read up a bit more on that. Hopefully we have something onsite that can work with it internally.
vpetersson wrote:
pantner wrote: and what is the deal with licencing, at the bottom of the OSE page it lists "Dual License: GPLv2 and Commercial License.".
Like it says, it's dual licens. You can use OSE fully under GPLv2.

The reason why it is dual licensed is because we use elements of OSE in Screenly Pro (which isn't GPLv2'd).
That can be interpreted in different ways. When I first read it seemed like "home/personal use - GPL. Commercial use - commercial licence"

Also, one more thing... There's no way to setup authentication/logons for the management interface is there?

vpetersson

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:25 am

pantner wrote: That can be interpreted in different ways. When I first read it seemed like "home/personal use - GPL. Commercial use - commercial licence"
Perhaps, but since I wrote it, that's the way it was intended to be interpreted. :)
pantner wrote: Also, one more thing... There's no way to setup authentication/logons for the management interface is there?
Nope. That goes into Screenly Pro territory.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),

pantner

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:43 am

vpetersson wrote: Perhaps, but since I wrote it, that's the way it was intended to be interpreted. :)
Haha, fair enough. Like I said, we're pedantic re:licencing, so I just wanted to make sure :)
vpetersson wrote: Nope. That goes into Screenly Pro territory.
ok, good to know that it is available if we want to go that way :)

Is there any logging that happens? ie "ip ********** connected. File uploaded."

vpetersson

Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:21 pm

pantner wrote: Is there any logging that happens? ie "ip ********** connected. File uploaded."
Yes, I think you should be able to decipher that from the logs in `/var/log/screenly/*.log`

pHeoz

Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:15 am

I've got a problem to upgrade Screenly.

I'm running "run_upgrade.sh", and I get the following error from git :
Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by merge : views/index.haml
I had made modification to the file, but I have now restored the original one. I'm still getting the same error.

I tried
git checkout HEAD^ /home/pi/screenly/views/index.haml
to no avail.

Any idea ?

Edit : I found the solution the moment I posted. Had to run "git reset views/index.haml" first.

vpetersson

Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:20 am

pHeoz wrote:I've got a problem to upgrade Screenly.

I'm running "run_upgrade.sh", and I get the following error from git :
Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by merge : views/index.haml
I had made modification to the file, but I have now restored the original one. I'm still getting the same error.

I tried
git checkout HEAD^ /home/pi/screenly/views/index.haml
to no avail.

Any idea ?

Edit : I found the solution the moment I posted. Had to run "git reset views/index.haml" first.

Try running:

Code: Select all

git reset --hard

rstoeber

Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:36 am

Just installed Screenly OSE for a client of mine to set up in a training/lunch room area of their company. Not sure yet if we will (or should) upgrade to the Pro version, but the answer to this question might help. Is it possible, with either OSE or Pro version, to play YouTube videos directly?

We have tried adding a YouTube URL as a web page asset as well as a video asset and neither of those worked. Are we missing some component in the OSE installation process? Is it not possible at all?

vpetersson

Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:40 am

rstoeber wrote:Just installed Screenly OSE for a client of mine to set up in a training/lunch room area of their company. Not sure yet if we will (or should) upgrade to the Pro version, but the answer to this question might help. Is it possible, with either OSE or Pro version, to play YouTube videos directly?

We have tried adding a YouTube URL as a web page asset as well as a video asset and neither of those worked. Are we missing some component in the OSE installation process? Is it not possible at all?
Neither Pro nor OSE supports YouTube videos out-of-the-box. The reason is simply that the underlaying components do not support it (i.e. the browser).

If you do have the rights to use the video(s), you may however use something like a like Clipconverter (http://www.clipconverter.cc/) to retrieve the video.

forum6691

Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:28 am

Hi everybody

I have a problem with diplay on my raspberry PI 2
I 've initialy used a video converter HDMI to VGA to plug on Big TV screen.
I max capacity of TV screen is 1360*768 at 60 Hz in progressive mode, but it seems that the 1024*768 resolution gives better pictures
So, I change resolution to 1024*768 in the .screenly.conf file .
With this configuration, it's OK with adapter VGA, but if I switch hdmi cable instead, I get the video during the boot of the raspberry, but when it swith to the graphic mode to display the picture of screenly, th screen stays black definetively !

I'm annoyed, because with VGA, I can't have the sound, so I would use the HDMI cable.

Is there a special parameter to configure the resolution very finely (resolution and frequency) to correct my problem with direct HDMI connection ?
Thanks.
Cyril

rstoeber

Why are my photos being rotated?

Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:01 pm

We must be doing something wrong because I don't see any comments about this. Many of our photos are taken on phones in portrait orientation (tall) however in Screenly they appear sideways. It's as if Screenly is automatically trying to do a best fit to the screen.

These photos all open correctly-oriented on various computers and tablets. We've tried rotating them and re-saving, on the assumption that the phones were marking the orientation incorrectly, but that doesn't solve the problem.

Are we doing something wrong or does Screenly only accept photos that are landscape mode (wider than tall)?

igoldsmith

Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:11 am

I'm trying to run an apache server to create a local proxy so that I can access sites that require authentication from Screenly. The server starts and netstat -an shows that it's listening on port 80 (0.0.0.0:80 0.0.0.0:*), but I get connection refused after a long timeout when I try and reach it from off the machine. I can access the screenly UI on 8080 just fine.

I'm curious if screenly installs some kind of firewall on the raspberry pi that I'm not familiar with. IP Tables doesn't seem to be setup.

Any help getting access to port 80 locally will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

igoldsmith

Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:43 pm

Is there any fix for the issue with uzbl-core growing to the point that it brings the pi to it's knees? After only a couple of hours uzbl-core is taking 100% of my CPU and 90+% of my memory. According to this issue: https://github.com/wireload/screenly-ose/issues/291, and probably this one too: https://github.com/wireload/screenly-ose/issues/297, this is an issue introduced in a recent update.

Ian

igoldsmith

Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:10 pm

igoldsmith wrote:I'm trying to run an apache server to create a local proxy so that I can access sites that require authentication from Screenly. The server starts and netstat -an shows that it's listening on port 80 (0.0.0.0:80 0.0.0.0:*), but I get connection refused after a long timeout when I try and reach it from off the machine. I can access the screenly UI on 8080 just fine.

I'm curious if screenly installs some kind of firewall on the raspberry pi that I'm not familiar with. IP Tables doesn't seem to be setup.

Any help getting access to port 80 locally will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
This was an iptables issue. I figured out how to open the port. That said, if you want to do something like this I suggest using the manual install instructions and working from a later Raspberrian build.

igoldsmith

Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:10 pm

igoldsmith wrote:Is there any fix for the issue with uzbl-core growing to the point that it brings the pi to it's knees? After only a couple of hours uzbl-core is taking 100% of my CPU and 90+% of my memory. According to this issue: https://github.com/wireload/screenly-ose/issues/291, and probably this one too: https://github.com/wireload/screenly-ose/issues/297, this is an issue introduced in a recent update.

Ian
I fixed this by using the manual installation instructions to take the latest raspberrian and screenly-ose and my Screenly is now stable without uzbl-core growing. It would only run for a couple of hours before it died. Seems rock solid now.

gmytton

Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:45 am

Hello guys
so I got a rpi over the weekend and loaded screenly OSE, all good and working fine. the only thing I'm trying to crack is that it is not displaying full screen, I have enabled overscan as suggested but no joy.

I am displaying onto a 47" commercial HD screen

I would appreciate some help but please be patient I'm a Linux and rpi newbie ;)

thanks

edit - sorry that was me being thick I should have disabled the overscan not enabled.... all fine now. getting some great feedback from viewers in the office

g

vpetersson

Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:07 pm

Hey guys,

We're really excited to announce that we've now brought on a new developer who will work entirely on Screenly OSE for the next few weeks (hopefully longer) to clear up some of the older issues that we haven't been able to get around to.

I've gone ahead classified all open issues and prioritized them in different "sprints." You can see the roadmap here:
https://github.com/wireload/screenly-ose/milestones

forum6691

Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:41 pm

Good news for the comunity users of Screenly OSE

waterloomatt

Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:28 am

Not sure if I should start a new thread.

I using Screenly OSE to build an electronic picture frame. Does anyone know if it's possible to upload multiple images/zip file at once? I'd like to upload hundreds of images.

I found an automation script - https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topi ... -screenly/ - but hoping there's a more elegant approach.

Edit

Looks like something is in the works - https://github.com/wireload/screenly-ose/issues/149. Anyone know of any other solutions?

dendesigns

Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:03 am

I guess I have a related question....I'm wondering if there's a way to put assets directly on the SD card. The problem I'm having is that the wifi sometimes does work so the startup screen in Screenly has no IP address. I was wondering if it might be possible when that happens to just pull out the SD card, copy the assets onto it, reinsert it and reboot the pi. I assume that there is a directory on the SD card where the assets are saved. how can I find that?

vpetersson

Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:39 am

dendesigns wrote:I guess I have a related question....I'm wondering if there's a way to put assets directly on the SD card. The problem I'm having is that the wifi sometimes does work so the startup screen in Screenly has no IP address. I was wondering if it might be possible when that happens to just pull out the SD card, copy the assets onto it, reinsert it and reboot the pi. I assume that there is a directory on the SD card where the assets are saved. how can I find that?
No, that wouldn't work unfortunately as the assets also needs to be added to the database.

Ongelma

Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:44 am

when will we see a support in screenly for the DSI port display? Now that official raspi screen is available i want to make a screenly rpi with it in our office coffee room.

Please add support soon. :)

vpetersson

Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:51 am

Ongelma wrote:when will we see a support in screenly for the DSI port display? Now that official raspi screen is available i want to make a screenly rpi with it in our office coffee room.
We'd be happy to accept a Pull Request for that, but I don't have one available to test with.

Return to “Other projects”