Page 3 of 45

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:04 pm
by vpetersson
RichShumaker wrote:Bing that fixed it, one extra ? is what my issue was.
I was getting the "internal server error"
Once I removes the ? from line 174 I now have a working Screenly.
Glad that worked, but I'd advise against editing the files by hand, as that will cause merge-issued down the road when updating. The issue has been fixed upstream, so you can just grab a fresh copy.
RichShumaker wrote: Anyone have links to mp4 video content?
Look for video trailers. There should be a fair amount of trailers available. That's what I used when developing Screenly.
RichShumaker wrote: I would love to be able to have Screenly 'look' at a folder and automagically add the stuff from that folder.
That's not trivial for web-content, as 'directory listing' as it is called is often disabled on web servers for security reasons.
RichShumaker wrote: Does anyone have a good RSS to Jpg image creator tool?
That's also not trivial. I'm not sure if there are any tools available out there, but adding RSS support is on the road-map for Screenly.

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:50 pm
by RichShumaker
Anyone having any luck with web TV shows?
Revision3 works on my OpenElec install so I tried a few links to the videos but they didn't work.
I think I need a better link.
I need to find the raw mp4 URL and that should work, if I can find it of course.

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:30 pm
by bostjan
This works just nice as a simple signage software, I must say. Of course there's plenty of possible features to add but at the moment I'm really missing only bottom crawler line...

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:43 pm
by vpetersson
bostjan wrote: I'm really missing only bottom crawler line...
I know that's popular in the digital signage world, but I personally find those pretty annoying.
IMHO, it provides a poor UI/UX (and it's also distracting). It's not a hard technical problem to implement, it's just that I find it more annoying than useful.

Perhaps more importantly, you would also break away from the standard 1920x1080 resolution if you were to add something like that.

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:08 pm
by bostjan
bostjan wrote:This works just nice as a simple signage software, I must say. Of course there's plenty of possible features to add but at the moment I'm really missing only bottom crawler line...
You know what? You're actually quite right!

We were just used to the crawler for too long to give it a thought.

Agreed!

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:29 pm
by Signs
Just wanted to let you know, that I had installed Screenly OSE at least 5 different times from scratch, and I never got it installed and working until last night. Finally after your fixes I have it working and it is an excellent OS.

Just wanted to "Thank you" and give you a compliment for your hard work. It was very frustrating and time consuming, trying to get it to work, but it was well worth the wait. It would be nice for everyone who has not tried it again, to try it again, because it is now correct.

Again, Thank you,
Signs

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:11 pm
by vpetersson
Signs wrote:Just wanted to let you know, that I had installed Screenly OSE at least 5 different times from scratch, and I never got it installed and working until last night. Finally after your fixes I have it working and it is an excellent OS.

Just wanted to "Thank you" and give you a compliment for your hard work. It was very frustrating and time consuming, trying to get it to work, but it was well worth the wait. It would be nice for everyone who has not tried it again, to try it again, because it is now correct.

Again, Thank you,
Signs
Thank you. I know we've had a few major bugs in Screenly since it was released, but to our defense, it is clearly labeled 'beta.' :)

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:29 am
by W9RAN
Nice proof of concept there! I'm sure some users would be looking for more sophistication but the digital signs I see most often are more static displays (i.e. menus, specials of the day, local events, etc.) The key advantage of digital signs is the ease with which changes can be made, so my suggestion would be to make it easy and foolproof to do that. Something like a content management solution used for a website, only instead of a server, the user would "publish" a set of screens to the Pi. Of course you need the sign info to be local as not everyone will have a continuous internet connection.

But a good example of what can be done with the Pi and it's terrific graphics.

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:42 am
by bostjan
After several days of solid performance of screenly, I have a question and a feature request:

Q: I have 10 images to display. All are now scheduled. How can I reorder the sequence?

FR: When I go and edit an asset on schedule list, when I confirm it, it goes to "YES" screen and then I have to press "back" and I get returned to the main screen. Would it be possible to ditch the "YES" and immidiately return to scheduled assets list? I mean "YES" is not needed as you can see changes in the scheduled list and if you have to change 10 slides' times, it's really a lot of clicking. Perhaps it would also be nice to have a "copy to all scheduled assets" button next to time field (or every field?).

Thanks!

Bostjan

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:11 am
by vpetersson
bostjan wrote:After several days of solid performance of screenly, I have a question and a feature request:
Thanks Bostjan. Glad to hear that.
bostjan wrote: Q: I have 10 images to display. All are now scheduled. How can I reorder the sequence?
Currently, the play order is simply determined by the asset name. That's not ideal, but I haven't gotten further.

The work-around for this at the moment would be to simply name your assets like this:

* 001_SomeImage
* 002_AnotherImage

Like I said, it's not ideal, but it works for the time being. Having a more sophisticated support for this certainly makes sense, and it's something I have on the roadmap.
bostjan wrote: FR: When I go and edit an asset on schedule list, when I confirm it, it goes to "YES" screen and then I have to press "back" and I get returned to the main screen. Would it be possible to ditch the "YES" and immidiately return to scheduled assets list? I mean "YES" is not needed as you can see changes in the scheduled list and if you have to change 10 slides' times, it's really a lot of clicking. Perhaps it would also be nice to have a "copy to all scheduled assets" button next to time field (or every field?).
That makes sense. The message is useful (either as a success confirmation or if an error occurs). A better solution I suppose would have been to use JS for these kind of notification.

That said, it certainly is a valid feature request, and I'll see what I can do about it in the near future.

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:14 am
by Signs
W9RAN wrote:Nice proof of concept there! I'm sure some users would be looking for more sophistication but the digital signs I see most often are more static displays (i.e. menus, specials of the day, local events, etc.) The key advantage of digital signs is the ease with which changes can be made, so my suggestion would be to make it easy and foolproof to do that. Something like a content management solution used for a website, only instead of a server, the user would "publish" a set of screens to the Pi. Of course you need the sign info to be local as not everyone will have a continuous internet connection.

But a good example of what can be done with the Pi and it's terrific graphics.
How about this? It is being developed at present. I don't want google to pick up on it so I am going to leave out the http. Go to, rhonie/rhonie/advertising/index2.html and give it a look. On the back end of this is an online menu that will allow the owner of the business to enter the contents of the marquee at the bottom, that will be placed anywhere on the screen they desire. You can of course copy the code. I am trying to find someone that can modify Webtrack for the Rpi. Located here: http://HTTrack.com. They have a Debian version that is called Webtrack so what will happen is that you can use a Wifi dongle, have the content downloaded every so many hours, and read the content from a database rather than from the web. It will work, I just need to find the correct programmer that wants to do it.

Now what I am going to say is my opinion. I know today, I can buy a 32 inch professional digital display with a 2 year warranty that is produced by Samsung for $500 that includes the program, templates, you can customize and the USB drive. You can also buy a cheap media player if you want for around $50 that will do everything, except download content from the internet.
Now with the above being said, I am sure that the day is just around the corner that you will be able to buy a display that will do everything you wish at a low cost. (They are available now if you want to bare the cost).

By doing this my way, the Rpi boots into full screen mode, and the web address that is being streamed is never seen by anyone that is viewing it, so the security cannot get any better. The only way it could possibly be hacked is that if someone took out the SD card out of the display, period. It would be easier to just remove the HDMI cable and plug in their own source. Either way that is physical security.
Also you could run the website from any web host you want, just make the web address very long. A digital display is not like a computer. The viewer does not have the keyboard or mouse access to it, so therefore the code is never shown on where it is being fed from.

The money will actually be in the selling of the ads for the businesses that have the displays, and any person that has any outlook of the future at all will understand that it will be all driven by the internet, and not private in house networks unless it is only produced for a single business for training purposes and such. I can tell you now that I work for a place that has it own intranet, and they still use the internet for training purposes, so that all of the sites throughout the world and the contractors get the same exact training. So what is the purpose of going through the trouble of building an OS that only can be used in house? The only reason I can think of is running menu boards at restaurants.

I cannot understand it. I don't know about where you may live, but I do know that I have a mifi I use when I am not at home and I can pay as low as $30 a month for it if I wanted a low limited account. And that is nothing when you realize how much revenue you can generate by selling ads on digital displays that do nothing except rotate pictures all day long. I will tell you that the Rpi is more than capable of doing it and may be the best device to ever do it. Remember this thing is still just a new-borne, it is not even a toddler yet.

Oh, yes we know the Java is choppy is of yet, but we are improving it daily, I have been running the Rpi with it now, all week, no problem with the OS. It is just using Raspbian Wheezy with a $4.00 USB dongle that runs the Rpi from the TVs usb port. It is very simple to make the Rpi boot directly to full screen. One more thing, it is running from a 2GB class 2 card. Works great, no problem.
So now thinking let me round it all out for you,
SD card, I have about 100 of them that were produced by Crucial, I paid $5.00 a piece for.
Website, $5.00 a month for hosting that I have had for at least 10 years now.
Wifi dongle, bought from Ebay $4.00.
Raspberry Pi, I have a few, paid $42.50 shipping included.
Cables maybe average $1.00 each.
Raspberry Pi streaming ads with free OS = Priceless!!!

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:15 am
by bcdaus
So I played with Screenly for a while, but it seems to have issues with some MP4 files. I get audio but no video.

I though I might drop back the the normal X environment and see if I can get the file to play in OMXplayer to help debug the issue. To this end I removed the autostart code from the ~/.config folder to see if I could get back to the standard desktop environment, but instead get a black screen.

Is there any way to get back to the 'normal' Pi desktop ?

thanks,
Bill.

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:07 am
by vpetersson
bcdaus wrote:So I played with Screenly for a while, but it seems to have issues with some MP4 files. I get audio but no video.

I though I might drop back the the normal X environment and see if I can get the file to play in OMXplayer to help debug the issue. To this end I removed the autostart code from the ~/.config folder to see if I could get back to the standard desktop environment, but instead get a black screen.

Is there any way to get back to the 'normal' Pi desktop ?
Hi Bill,

It does sound like a codec issue. Most likely, the video isn't encoded in h264, but the audio is coded in AAC. That would most likely render in the behavior you describe.

To see if that is the case, I'd recommend that you revert the changes you made to ~/.config. Screenly's installation program does a fair number of tweaks to X, and you can backtrance them here: https://github.com/wireload/screenly-os ... install.sh

Instead, when Screenly is up and running, press ctrl+alt+F1. That will provide you with a shell. Then try running OMXPlayer in debug-mode from there. It should also be known that Screenly doesn't really do anything fancy with OMXPlayer. It just launches OMXPlayer with:

Code: Select all

omxplayer  -o hdmi -w /path/to/file
Also, since OMXPlayer isn't talking to X, but the GPU directly, you have no need of running it inside of X.

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:44 pm
by vpetersson
Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I've pushed a few updates today. There were a few bugfixes (read the change log for details), but I also broke out the config to its own file and added a few features that you can configure in the config-file (located in ~/.screenly/screenly.conf).

Code: Select all

; Show Screenly splash screen
show_splash = True

; 'local' or 'hdmi'
audio_output = hdmi

; Shuffle playlist before playing (otherwise sorted by name)
shuffle_playlist = False

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:47 pm
by orcusomega
I am trying to install per the instructions, and getting the following:

Code: Select all

 ./install.sh
Installing Screenly OSE (beta)
Installing dependencies...
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
chkconfig is already the newest version.
omxplayer is already the newest version.
The following extra packages will be installed:
  javascript-common libjs-jquery liblcms1 python-cairo python-gi
  python-gobject python-gobject-2 python-gtk2 python-medusa python-meld3
  python-pkg-resources python-setuptools python2.6 python2.6-minimal socat
  suckless-tools wwwconfig-common xclip
Suggested packages:
  apache2 httpd liblcms-utils python-gi-cairo python-gobject-2-dbg
  python-gtk2-doc python-imaging-doc python-imaging-dbg python-medusa-doc
  python-distribute python-distribute-doc python2.6-doc binfmt-support
  sqlite3-doc dwm mysql-client postgresql-client nickle cairo-5c
  xorg-docs-core
Recommended packages:
  python-dev-all
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  javascript-common libjs-jquery liblcms1 python-cairo python-gi
  python-gobject python-gobject-2 python-gtk2 python-imaging python-medusa
  python-meld3 python-netifaces python-pip python-pkg-resources
  python-setuptools python-simplejson python2.6 python2.6-minimal socat
  sqlite3 suckless-tools supervisor unclutter uzbl watchdog wwwconfig-common
  x11-xserver-utils xclip
0 upgraded, 28 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 97.1 kB/9,101 kB of archives.
After this operation, 29.1 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Err http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main liblcms1 armhf 1.19.dfsg-1.1
  404  Not Found
Failed to fetch http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool/main/l/lcms/liblcms1_1.19.dfsg-1.1_armhf.deb  404  Not Found
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?
sudo: pip: command not found
Adding Screenly to X auto start...
Increasing swap space to 500MB...
Adding Screenly's config-file
Enabling Watchdog...
watchdog: unknown service
cp: cannot stat `/etc/watchdog.conf': No such file or directory
sed: can't read /etc/watchdog.conf: No such file or directory
sudo: /etc/init.d/watchdog: command not found
Adding Screenly to autostart (via Supervisord)
ln: target `/etc/supervisor/conf.d/' is not a directory: No such file or directory
sudo: /etc/init.d/supervisor: command not found
sudo: /etc/init.d/supervisor: command not found
Making modifications to X...
mv: cannot stat `/home/pi/.config/lxpanel/LXDE/panels/panel': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `/etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart': No such file or directory
Quiet the boot process...
Assuming no errors were encountered, go ahead and restart your computer.

Not sure where to go with this - seems that the liblcms1 is getting a 404 during the apt-get operation, and a few others as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:52 pm
by vpetersson
orcusomega wrote: Not sure where to go with this - seems that the liblcms1 is getting a 404 during the apt-get operation, and a few others as well.

Thoughts?
Did you run 'apt-get update' first? If so, and that doesn't help, it is an issue upstream.
There isn't a whole lot I can do on my end to resolve this, but hopefully it is just a temporary issue, so just try again later.

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:38 pm
by wpns
This is amazing, thanks so much for making it available!

One quick question, is there an easy way to disable the caching? I'm displaying a bunch of webcams in sequence ("Window on vacation house"), but Screenly never updates them.

Thanks again!

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:51 pm
by wpns
FWIW:

tail -f /tmp/screenly_viewer.log
shows it updating the asset list every couple of minutes:
Sun, 09 Sep 2012 13:46:37 Generating asset-list...
Sun, 09 Sep 2012 13:48:18 Generating asset-list...

Nothing after startup in /var/log/supervisor/screenly-access.log

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:47 pm
by vpetersson
wpns wrote: This is amazing, thanks so much for making it available!
No problem.
wpns wrote: One quick question, is there an easy way to disable the caching? I'm displaying a bunch of webcams in sequence ("Window on vacation house"), but Screenly never updates them.
I checked real quick in the code and as far as I can tell, it shouldn't cache any content. That said, judging by what you describe, that isn't the case.

I will simply have to dig deeper into that once I have more time.

It would be very helpful if you could report that issue on github and provide a few URLs such that I can reproduce the issue.

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:50 pm
by vpetersson
wpns wrote:FWIW:

tail -f /tmp/screenly_viewer.log
shows it updating the asset list every couple of minutes:
Sun, 09 Sep 2012 13:46:37 Generating asset-list...
Sun, 09 Sep 2012 13:48:18 Generating asset-list...

Nothing after startup in /var/log/supervisor/screenly-access.log
Ok, but that just means that the asset-list is empty.

What exactly wrong other than that? Did schedule any assets or were you not able to get to the web interface?

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:16 pm
by wpns
[quote="vpetersson"][quote="wpns"]FWIW:
tail -f /tmp/screenly_viewer.log
shows it updating the asset list every couple of minutes:
Sun, 09 Sep 2012 13:46:37 Generating asset-list...
Sun, 09 Sep 2012 13:48:18 Generating asset-list...[/quote]

Ok, but that just means that the asset-list is empty.

What exactly wrong other than that? Did schedule any assets or were you not able to get to the web interface?[/quote]

Nothing wrong with the asset list, I got to the web page, set up the assets, scheduled them all, and it's rotating through the pictures, it just doesn't update the pictures when they change on the website.

I'll drop a bug report into github when I get back to the office, where all the details are...

Thanks!

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:31 pm
by vpetersson
wpns wrote: Nothing wrong with the asset list, I got to the web page, set up the assets, scheduled them all, and it's rotating through the pictures, it just doesn't update the pictures when they change on the website.

I'll drop a bug report into github when I get back to the office, where all the details are...
Actually, it doesn't mean that the list is empty. I misspoke.
It just means that it is re-loads the information from the database.

When you make a change in the web-interface, it won't update immediately. The viewer caches the playlist and only rescans the playlist from the database ever Nth run. This is to save resources and to not burn out the SD-card.

Hence, if you make a change, it may take a few minutes (depending on the length of your playlist) before the changes are displayed on the screen. Since you're already familiar with the logs, the update actually happens when you see the message you reported.

Hence this is not a bug, but by design.

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:53 pm
by wpns
[quote="vpetersson"]
When you make a change in the web-interface, it won't update immediately. The viewer caches the playlist and only rescans the playlist from the database ever Nth run. This is to save resources and to not burn out the SD-card.[/quote]

Ah, OK, so all that's working fine, it's just the 'fetch from the web' stuff that's caching the pictures.

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:06 pm
by bcdaus
Feature request -
would it possible to remove an asset from the playlist without deleting the reference ?

I need to be able to enable / disable content and it would be good to be able to remove items from the playlist without deleting them from the asset list.

Thanks,
Bill

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:14 am
by wpns
OK, my mistake, I had them coded as images, and they should have been URLs. All fixed!

Images are 'cached' forever, URLs are updated every 5 times through the loop.