vpetersson

Re: Screenly - errors adding assets

Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:27 am

nreicher wrote: That did the trick... in fact, it was easier since there were a few more code fixes since the first time. Awesome use of my Raspberry guys! Thanks!
Perfect. Glad you got it working.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

Clifor

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:36 am

Anyone having problems with full rootfs should have a look at:

http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setu ... spberry_Pi

Hope it helps. It worked like charm for me :)

vpetersson

Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:45 am

Clifor wrote: Anyone having problems with full rootfs should have a look at:

http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setu ... spberry_Pi

Hope it helps. It worked like charm for me :)
Yeah, that's a decent work around, but if you do a fresh install of Raspberry "wheezy" you can do that on the first boot (by running 'sudo raspi-config'). That's a lot easier than manually having to jump through the hoops.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),

Clifor

Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:49 am

vpetersson wrote:Update: I pushed a major fix to Screenly today that fixes video playback. It must have broken in some earlier update.

To update, simply do:
cd ~/screenly
git pull
pkill -f "viewer.py"
Hi Viktor

I am getting a an error when trying to get the latest version
error: Your local changes to the following file would be overwriten by merge:
viewer.py

Solved by using (or so I think):

Code: Select all

git reset --hard HEAD

vpetersson

Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:54 am

Clifor wrote:
vpetersson wrote:Update: I pushed a major fix to Screenly today that fixes video playback. It must have broken in some earlier update.

To update, simply do:
cd ~/screenly
git pull
pkill -f "viewer.py"
Hi Viktor

I am getting a an error when trying to get the latest version
error: Your local changes to the following file would be overwriten by merge:
viewer.py

Solved by using (or so I think):

Code: Select all

git reset --hard HEAD
Yeah, that sounds like a reasonable fix.

Clifor

Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:58 am

vpetersson wrote:
Yeah, that's a decent work around, but if you do a fresh install of Raspberry "wheezy" you can do that on the first boot (by running 'sudo raspi-config'). That's a lot easier than manually having to jump through the hoops.
True, but since I had made some changes, like having a new kernel so I can rotate the console and some other tweaks. Many things to test on the RasPi and only a couple of pieces of hardware ;)

systemc

Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:34 am

I just wanted to say you fella's rock.
I was looking to exactly do this and it worked really well for me

vpetersson

Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:44 am

systemc wrote:I just wanted to say you fella's rock.
I was looking to exactly do this and it worked really well for me
Glad you got it working!

BasharOfTheAges

Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:21 pm

Really interested in giving this a try. I had one quick question about the feasibility of my use case before I delve into this, though.

I'm looking to do something like a rotating schedule (like the ones you see on the bottom of the screen on some cable channels) for a room that has a bunch of different programming in it throughout a weekend. My ideal set-up would be as something is going on in the room, the sign would cycle between what's happening now, and the next 2 events that are going to happen. As one event ends, the second item on the schedule becomes the "now" event, and the 3rd and 4th events are shown in the rotation as the "next" and "later" events - it would progress like this all day.

Is this doable? How would I set screenly up with such a configuration? And can I save off each day's schedule so I can make the schedules up before hand and seamlessly switch between them? Or, even, better, Can I make one big schedule that spans days?

vpetersson

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:04 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote: I'm looking to do something like a rotating schedule (like the ones you see on the bottom of the screen on some cable channels) for a room that has a bunch of different programming in it throughout a weekend. My ideal set-up would be as something is going on in the room, the sign would cycle between what's happening now, and the next 2 events that are going to happen. As one event ends, the second item on the schedule becomes the "now" event, and the 3rd and 4th events are shown in the rotation as the "next" and "later" events - it would progress like this all day.

Is this doable? How would I set screenly up with such a configuration? And can I save off each day's schedule so I can make the schedules up before hand and seamlessly switch between them? Or, even, better, Can I make one big schedule that spans days?
Yes and no. You can't have the rolling things like you're suggesting (assuming you mean things like ticker symbols you see in financial news). While you could probably do something like that using a website, based on my experience, I doubt the Pi would be powerful enough to handle something like that.

That said, you can easily schedule things as you describe and have them show up. All you have to do is to simply set the schedule for each event to reflect this. And yes, you can schedule days, months or even year in advance if you so desire. :)

From the top of my head, I can imagine two ways of doing this. Either you do static images for each event, or you create a website. The easiest to get done would of course be the images, but that would require more maintenance work. If you instead created three pages, like
If these pages were automatically generated, you wouldn't need to manage the playlist at all.

Hope that helps.

BasharOfTheAges

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:20 pm

vpetersson wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote: I'm looking to do something like a rotating schedule (like the ones you see on the bottom of the screen on some cable channels) for a room that has a bunch of different programming in it throughout a weekend. My ideal set-up would be as something is going on in the room, the sign would cycle between what's happening now, and the next 2 events that are going to happen. As one event ends, the second item on the schedule becomes the "now" event, and the 3rd and 4th events are shown in the rotation as the "next" and "later" events - it would progress like this all day.

Yes and no. You can't have the rolling things like you're suggesting (assuming you mean things like ticker symbols you see in financial news). While you could probably do something like that using a website, based on my experience, I doubt the Pi would be powerful enough to handle something like that.

That said, you can easily schedule things as you describe and have them show up. All you have to do is to simply set the schedule for each event to reflect this. And yes, you can schedule days, months or even year in advance if you so desire. :)

From the top of my head, I can imagine two ways of doing this. Either you do static images for each event, or you create a website. The easiest to get done would of course be the images, but that would require more maintenance work. If you instead created three pages, like
If these pages were automatically generated, you wouldn't need to manage the playlist at all.

Hope that helps.
It does help, thanks. I had planed to use images anyways since I'm already making them up to introduce the events themselves. This is a little bonus use for them.

Signs

Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:36 pm

I have been looking over post for digital signage using the Raspberry Pi. I have even offered a bounty to someone that can build one.
The best one that I have found is located at: http://www.binaryemotions.com/instant-w ... pberry-pi/

It still needs some work, so I am hoping that you may want to put your head together with the owner of the website that host the website of the kiosk. You will see that he is very close, if not there.
There are a few problems still, however. One is with the flash content and the time it loads the video.
The biggest problem is that it does not launch the browser in full screen (F11)

I cannot understand why anyone would want to build a signage player that only shows images. The ideal way is to let the website show the images. My way of doing only has to point to one web address to rotate the images, and does a whole lot more rather than depending on the Rpi on rotating the images or fades etc... This is easily done in HTML. That code is located here, to cut and paste:
http://www.troywolf.com/articles/client/siteshow/
By doing it this way, all that needs to happen is that the Rpi only needs to be able to store the browser in cache, maybe in another petition. An example of my website is located here: http://rhonie.com/rhonie/advertising/index1.html
The entire slide show runs about 2 minutes, each slide advances about every 15 seconds.

If you haven't read one of my post go here to see what I need completed:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 96#p144396
Please read the section in which I reply to jojopi on August 7th, 2012.

Let me know what you think, and if someone wants further info on what I am offering for the bounty please let me know. :D

vpetersson

Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:13 pm

Signs wrote:I have been looking over post for digital signage using the Raspberry Pi. I have even offered a bounty to someone that can build one.
The best one that I have found is located at: http://www.binaryemotions.com/instant-w ... pberry-pi/
Thanks for the info. Personally I don't think the Raspberry Pi makes a very good web kiosk at the moment. It is far too slow when it comes to running JavaScript to prove a good user experience.
Signs wrote: The biggest problem is that it does not launch the browser in full screen (F11)
That was solved when Screenly was in alpha.
Signs wrote: I cannot understand why anyone would want to build a signage player that only shows images. The ideal way is to let the website show the images. My way of doing only has to point to one web address to rotate the images, and does a whole lot more rather than depending on the Rpi on rotating the images or fades etc... This is easily done in HTML. That code is located here, to cut and paste:
http://www.troywolf.com/articles/client/siteshow/
By doing it this way, all that needs to happen is that the Rpi only needs to be able to store the browser in cache, maybe in another petition. An example of my website is located here: http://rhonie.com/rhonie/advertising/index1.html
The entire slide show runs about 2 minutes, each slide advances about every 15 seconds.
Well, that sounds good at first, but it is a bad idea IMHO. Here's why:

Like I already mentioned, the Raspberry Pi can't handle JavaScript very well. As a result, you can forget about doing fancy things like animations. I've tried a few different presentation tools, such as http://dmfrancisco.github.com/slideshow.html, but it just cannot handle animations well enough. It got a lot better with the latest Raspbian release, but it's still not something I'd put up on a screen.

The only thing you can do fancy things like animations etc with the current state of the Raspberry Pi is by doing h264-coded videos and play them with omxplayer (as that's the only player that supports the GPU atm).

Also, merely booting the Raspberry Pi and point it to page isn't sufficient for most uses. Sure, you can solve the transition to a new page using JS, but it is very error prone. What happens if there's a temporary glitch in the network and your page won't load? Sure, there are ways to solve this, but it gets very complicated very fast to try to cover all the edge-cases (most of which Screenly already takes care of). Also, it's pretty complicated do things like scheduling etc.

A far better solution (imho) is to do what Screenly does, namely have a 'viewer' module that controls what is being displayed on the screen. This also comes with other benefits, such as being able to support playing videos in full HD, something that would be very difficult to do in a browser (unless you want to write a browser-plugin that calls on omxplayer).

The bottom line is that you are of course free to choose whatever solution you'd like. We've designed Screenly for the real world and based on the experience we've had written our previous software (that is being used on our digital signage network).

(Also, for the record, Screenly currently support three types of media: images, videos and web pages. More info can be found here: https://github.com/wireload/screenly-ose/.)

Signs

Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:07 pm

Thanks for the info. Personally I don't think the Raspberry Pi makes a very good web kiosk at the moment. It is far too slow when it comes to running JavaScript to prove a good user experience.
At this time I cannot see the Raspberry Pi much good for anything. Especially for providing professional digital signage. However, it does have enough power to do it, it just does not have a correct OS for it yet. I have seen a whole lot smaller processors with less memory in my life that has done much better than a Rpi. (Of course they were not supporting hd video either). So is development improves in the OS so will the Rpi. It is a still a development board at this stage.
Like I already mentioned, the Raspberry Pi can't handle JavaScript very well. As a result, you can forget about doing fancy things like animations. I've tried a few different presentation tools, such as http://dmfrancisco.github.com/slideshow.html, but it just cannot handle animations well enough. It got a lot better with the latest Raspbian release, but it's still not something I'd put up on a screen.
I totally agree with that, other than just an image or text page is all it is able to handle at this point.
Also, merely booting the Raspberry Pi and point it to page isn't sufficient for most uses. Sure, you can solve the transition to a new page using JS, but it is very error prone. What happens if there's a temporary glitch in the network and your page won't load? Sure, there are ways to solve this, but it gets very complicated very fast to try to cover all the edge-cases (most of which Screenly already takes care of). Also, it's pretty complicated do things like scheduling etc.
I know that the Rpi is a universal computer, but I also think that it most capable of doing only one thing at a time. It is just is capable is any other computer, but why try to make it a universal machine when trying to accomplish one thing. I would not expect to control a robot with it, and write a webpage on it at the same time, and neither would I put that into the OS to do that. I don't want it to do anything other than run a single digital display. That is all. So pointing to a page is all that it needs to do, and to run that page on the display it is attached to and most functions. Mainly at this time Javascript, image transition and flash. No others. While 50 dollars per screen is unheard of in the digital display industry. If I was going to run ten screens off the same computer I would buy a computer a whole lot more expensive than the Rpi. I am going to write a page on exactly what I am looking to do, maybe that way I can expand the whole concept, and hopefully everyone will see my vision and ideas for it.

vpetersson

Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:44 am

Signs wrote: At this time I cannot see the Raspberry Pi much good for anything. Especially for providing professional digital signage. However, it does have enough power to do it, it just does not have a correct OS for it yet. I have seen a whole lot smaller processors with less memory in my life that has done much better than a Rpi. (Of course they were not supporting hd video either). So is development improves in the OS so will the Rpi. It is a still a development board at this stage.
I disagree. Since the industry standard in the digital signage-world tend to be images and h264 encoded videos, both of which the Raspberry Pi handles well. Hence, I think the Raspberry Pi is a perfect fit.

The fact that the browser cannot handle heavy JavaScript shouldn't come as a surprise. The CPU is a weak ARM-CPU (and largely why it is this cheap). Since the current browsers only relies on the CPU for running these scripts, it makes sense.

My guess is that the Raspberry Pi is capable of running full-blown HTML5. The "only" thing needed is a custom browser that offloads the rendering to the GPU (which most likely is what the players you are referring to are doing). If given proper funding (or time), I'm sure there is someone at this forum that can/will write a Webkit-based browser capable of this.

Also, last time I checked, not even Chrome/Chromium or Firefox on Linux (x86) uses the GPU for accelerating web content. Hence, the Raspberry Pi isn't unique in this regard.
Signs wrote: I know that the Rpi is a universal computer, but I also think that it most capable of doing only one thing at a time. It is just is capable is any other computer, but why try to make it a universal machine when trying to accomplish one thing. I would not expect to control a robot with it, and write a webpage on it at the same time, and neither would I put that into the OS to do that.
That is a very naive assumption. What exactly does 'It is just is capable is any other computer' even mean? Not all computers are created equal. You can't compare an ARM-powered computer with your desktop machine. No, not even for single-threaded operations.
Signs wrote: I don't want it to do anything other than run a single digital display. That is all. So pointing to a page is all that it needs to do, and to run that page on the display it is attached to and most functions. Mainly at this time Javascript, image transition and flash.
Again, I think this is a bad idea, but sure you can do whatever you want. Unless you write a customized browser that uses the GPU for acceleration, you can forget about doing anything fancy like HTML5 on the Raspberry Pi.

Second, forget about Flash. It's a crappy and proprietary format and the modern world is moving away from it (and moving to HTML5 and h264-videos). Moreover, I'd be very surprised if Adobe ever released a version that caters to the Raspberry Pi. Yes, it does support ARM, but in order for it to be usable, it would need to utilize the GPU.

Also if all you want to do is to point your browser to a website, you can hack Screenly to perform this action. All you need to do is to disable some functions. The source code is available, so feel free to go crazy with it.

We are creating Screenly based on our experience and our need (i.e. to power our digital signage network). Since we try to keep things generic, hopefully other people will benefit from it too (and that seems to be the case, judging from the feedback we've received).

RichShumaker

Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:20 pm

How do you quit full screen mode to allow you to run commands?
I have tried a few things and I can't seem to get out.

Thanks
Rich Shumaker
http://www.instructables.com/id/Pi-Zero-W-NoIR-8MP-Camera-Build-Overview-Introduct/

vpetersson

Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:30 pm

RichShumaker wrote: How do you quit full screen mode to allow you to run commands?
The easiest way is to switch away from X altogether (since the WM is really stripped down to conserve resources). To do this, simply press ctrl + alt + F1.

To return to X, press ctrl + alt + F7.

vpetersson

Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:54 pm

Important notice: If you updated or install Screenly in the last three days (since this commit: https://github.com/wireload/screenly-os ... be38c6dd69), please upgrade right now. Between then and now, Screenly was in a broken state.

Upgrade instructions are available here:
https://github.com/wireload/screenly-ose

Sorry about that. I should have QA'ed the commits a bit more carefully.

RichShumaker

Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:47 pm

vpetersson wrote:
RichShumaker wrote: How do you quit full screen mode to allow you to run commands?
The easiest way is to switch away from X altogether (since the WM is really stripped down to conserve resources). To do this, simply press ctrl + alt + F1.

To return to X, press ctrl + alt + F7.
Thanks that worked I also set my keyboard up so ctrl + alt + bksp will quit X
Couldn't get my berryboot to work so now I have a dedicated SD card and I am still working through the 'internal server error'
Rich Shumaker
http://www.instructables.com/id/Pi-Zero-W-NoIR-8MP-Camera-Build-Overview-Introduct/

vpetersson

Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:58 pm

RichShumaker wrote: I am still working through the 'internal server error'
I'm not sure what that means, but if you post your logs snippets (/var/log/supervisor/screenly.log and /tmp/screenly_viewer.log) I'm sure we can sort that out.

Also, make sure you update to the latest codebase (see above).

bostjan

Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:13 pm

I get error of 8 parameters in 7 (error 500 in the browser) fields when I try to add the asset (jpg image).

How do I solve this?

TIA

Bostjan

bostjan

Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:52 pm

bostjan wrote:I get error of 8 parameters in 7 (error 500 in the browser) fields when I try to add the asset (jpg image).

How do I solve this?

TIA

Bostjan
Found a problem, it's in server.py, line 174. There's one question mark too much (",?").

But now I also found error trying to edit a schedule...some attribute error because of datetime...

vpetersson

Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:24 pm

bostjan wrote:I get error of 8 parameters in 7 (error 500 in the browser) fields when I try to add the asset (jpg image).
Sorry about that. I've pushed a fix that addresses this.

vpetersson

Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:51 pm

bostjan wrote: I also found error trying to edit a schedule...some attribute error because of datetime...
Yeah, found and resolved this issue too. It was a really stupid bug. I need to start writing unit tests soon.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

RichShumaker

Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:56 pm

Bing that fixed it, one extra ? is what my issue was.
I was getting the "internal server error"
Once I removes the ? from line 174 I now have a working Screenly.

Very Cool.
Anyone have links to mp4 video content?
I would love to be able to have Screenly 'look' at a folder and automagically add the stuff from that folder.
Does anyone have a good RSS to Jpg image creator tool?
Rich Shumaker

Return to “Other projects”