cyanarnofsky

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:18 pm

emmebi wrote:On some machines Apache 2 fails to start (mine works).
I'm building an image which makes use of Lighttpd instead of Apache.
Stay tuned...

This sounds like what I need, thanks and will stay tuned!

emmebi

Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:28 am

I've uploaded a new version of IWK-RPI.
Hope this fixes the problems with Apache. Please tell me.

On first boot it auto-installs the right Apache version, so network must be available.

mretd2

Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:26 am

is there a way to copy the database to multiple RPI's so they can share the config and asset data?

b0b_z

Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:24 am

Odd problems

We're doing another install from scratch of wheezy 9-18 img and screenly

We're getting these errors

Making modifications to X...
mv: cannot stat `/root/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link `/root/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `/root/.config/lxpanel/LXDE/panels/panel': No such file or directory

and on reboot the command prompt appears

any suggestions?

We've got it to work before but this time it's borked

Thanks!

vpetersson

Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:59 pm

b0b_z wrote: Making modifications to X...
mv: cannot stat `/root/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link `/root/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `/root/.config/lxpanel/LXDE/panels/panel': No such file or directory
Yes, you're using the 'root'-account. 'root' should never be used as a run-time user. Use the user 'pi' like the documentation states.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

vpetersson

Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:03 pm

mretd2 wrote:is there a way to copy the database to multiple RPI's so they can share the config and asset data?
I guess you could write a hack for that using scp/rsync, but we will be releasing a commercial version of Screenly in the near future. The commercial version will cater to people who are looking to easily manage a multiple nodes from one interface. We already have a beta running in production, but we still have some minor kinks to work out.

Also, it will be affordable, but we haven't decided on the exact pricing yet.

Screenly OSE will always be free and open source though.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),

vpetersson

Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:08 pm

Darron.Michael wrote: ERROR MESSAGE concerning loading the 127.0.0.1:8080/splash_page

Changes in overscan or memsplit value had no effect on preventing the apache error.

It seems that the 9/18 build isn't liking apache so far, and we need apache to work to support screenly-OSE.

Now for a similar attempt using the 2012-08-16-wheezy-raspbian.img. Unless someone can suggest how to get apache on its feet?
I'm not sure what you mean about the apache-error. Apache isn't part of Screenly, nor is lighttpd or any other webb-server. I strongly discourage you to install it, as it will likely have a negative impact on the performance of you system.

Screenly uses a built-in web-server. In addition to the concerns above, you might also run into port conflicts.

The only way I can help you is if you post the actual output of your log-files (/tmp/screenly_*) or alternatively any errors you received when running the installer.

vpetersson

Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:11 pm

trazer wrote:New here, but screenly sounds like exactly what I need/want out of the pi I have on its way right now. I need photos to go by on a screen. That's it. This will be a secondary screen in a kiosk just displaying images. The other one I ordered will likely be connected to a large HDTV at some point for the same thing. Adding via an IP on the network would be perfect. I'll be following this.

I have really simple needs, my other thought was to just use a photo screensaver and VNC in to add photos as needed. The pi will have no kb or mouse so maybe this is a viable solution for just static images? Regardless, my first pi shipped earlier today so I'll be playing with this soon I'm sure.

I'll try to just read and not ask super stupid questions, but wanted to say thanks for everyone's hard work on here!
Screenly seems to exactly fit your needs. There is no need to run VNC, as Screenly already comes with a web-interface. Just make sure you have the images scaled in the right resolution, as Screenly will not scale up/down any images.

b0b_z

Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:16 pm

I did use a sudo command in front of the screenly install

That's probably it

We'll try again

Thanks!

vpetersson

Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:20 pm

b0b_z wrote: I did use a sudo command in front of the screenly install. That's probably it.
Ah, yes, that could very well explain the behavior. Good catch.

vpetersson

Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:19 am

I just wanted to let you guys know that we are working on a commercial version of Screenly (known as Screenly Pro). This version will cater towards larger deployments of Screenly.

We have already deployed a beta in production, and if you're interested, please sign up on the wait-list (http://signup.screenlyapp.com/).

Please note that this doesn't mean that we are abandoning Screenly OSE. They will both co-exist.

Gold_Ninja

Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:42 am

Hi, This programme looks to be just what I need. Great work!

Would I be correct in assuming that the free (none pro) version would not be suitable for several devices on one site?

And I don't really understand how the web interface for submitting assets works. Is the automatically generated URL simply the internet IP address or is it the local IP? What if there is already a web server running on that WAN IP address?

vpetersson

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:11 am

Gold_Ninja wrote: Would I be correct in assuming that the free (none pro) version would not be suitable for several devices on one site?
You can have as many nodes as you'd like with the free/open source version. What you won't be able to do however is to manage them all using a single interface.
Gold_Ninja wrote: And I don't really understand how the web interface for submitting assets works. Is the automatically generated URL simply the internet IP address or is it the local IP? What if there is already a web server running on that WAN IP address?
It doesn't matter. You can serve your assets either from your local network (assuming you have a web-server) or over the internet. You can even use something like Dropbox's public folder or Amazon S3.

Gold_Ninja

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:34 am

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I will only need 3 or 4 nodes and they are likely to need different content on each, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the clarification.

b0b_z

Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:24 pm

Quick question

Which would be the way easiest to elimnate the error thrown when there's no internet connection?

Right now we get a splash page error then screenly starts playing

Thanks!

vpetersson

Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:28 pm

b0b_z wrote: Right now we get a splash page error then screenly starts playing
Yeah, you could just change:

Code: Select all

show_splash = True
to

Code: Select all

show_splash = False
in ~/.screenly/screenly.conf

b0b_z

Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:38 pm

I saw that but that's not exactly what I would like to do

if eth[0] = null
then
Display page "you need a network connection to edit content o this device"
else
Display splash

vpetersson

Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:43 pm

b0b_z wrote:I saw that but that's not exactly what I would like to do

if eth[0] = null
then
Display page "you need a network connection to edit content o this device"
else
Display splash
That seems like a reasonable feature. Please go ahead and write that up on Github.

b0b_z

Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:29 pm

Firstly, that's for the code tweak!

Sorry to bug you on this..

We did an update to the 3 files server.py viewer.py and splash.tpl and we're still getting an error when eth0 is not present

Suggestions?

vpetersson

Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:33 pm

b0b_z wrote:Firstly, that's for the code tweak!

Sorry to bug you on this..

We did an update to the 3 files server.py viewer.py and splash.tpl and we're still getting an error when eth0 is not present

Suggestions?
Hmm, are you sure you did a complete pull and follow the upgrade instructions (restarted supervisor and killed viewer). I tried it myself by bringing down eth0 and it behaved correctly.

b0b_z

Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:47 pm

I'll try it again and see...

Thanks!

b0b_z

Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:56 pm

Hmmm...

It's all good now

I just pulled it again and all went without a hitch

Now working

When is the pro version going to hit?

Thanks!

vpetersson

Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:42 pm

b0b_z wrote: It's all good now

I just pulled it again and all went without a hitch

Now working
Great.
b0b_z wrote: When is the pro version going to hit?
That depends on a number of factors. We have already deployed a beta-setup with ~15 nodes, and everything is looking great thus far.

In order to ship Screenly Pro, there are fair number of things we need to resolve, such as setting up the architecture and add functionality for user management etc.

Another factor is of course the traction we have. We have received a fair number of sign-ups on the wait-list (http://signup.screenlyapp.com) already and if we see a steady increase there, we are likely to shift more resources to the project.

b0b_z

Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:26 pm

We're on the list too...

It's a good product but lacks some practical funtionality (integrated file/upload manager etc...)

We'll look forward to seeing what you have coming down the road OR if you need Beta testers, I'd be willing to help out

Thanks!

vpetersson

Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:40 pm

b0b_z wrote: It's a good product but lacks some practical funtionality (integrated file/upload manager etc...)
Yeah, that's definitely on the roadmap. The traction will however dictate how much resources we can allocate.
b0b_z wrote: We'll look forward to seeing what you have coming down the road OR if you need Beta testers, I'd be willing to help out

Return to “Other projects”