RundB

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:09 am

Hello,

we are trying the first steps with Screenly OSE.
The weather widget is a very nice idea, but the contrast is much to low. How can we change the background picture or the font color to black.

Thanks and regards,
Marco

vpetersson

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:10 am

RundB wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:09 am
Hello,

we are trying the first steps with Screenly OSE.
The weather widget is a very nice idea, but the contrast is much to low. How can we change the background picture or the font color to black.

Thanks and regards,
Marco
Hi Marco,

That's not something we support at the moment.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi.
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

RundB

Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:06 am

Hi,

thanks for your answer. Maybe can the background changed by default, because I think that is not only my opinion.

Regards,
Marco

tazboys

Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:15 am

hi all,

I have strange issue I have flashed the SD card but the screen stuck at the welcome screen where it shows the IP address

the management screen shows the below any help is appriciated.
http://prntscr.com/j9urea

thanks

arpablos

Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:01 pm

Hi everyone

I'm newbie with Screenly and Raspberry. I've just installet Screenly OSE this morning to test it and I am amazed.

I'm working as an IT Teacher in a Secondary School. We want to create a Signage Screen to show school info to our students.

I was trying the clock and the weather app, but I'm looking for new apps or ideas.

For example:
- Another clocks like this: http://www.clocktab.com/

I discovered how to show a full presentation with Google Drive Slides.
- Chek it: https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... P3DK0Tphqc

¿Could you share yours ideas?

I was looking for:
- new weather apps
- a way to share a director real-time message
- hashtag search on twitter

Sorry for the long message.

Regards,

Álvaro Pablos

vpetersson

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:29 pm

tazboys wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:15 am
hi all,

I have strange issue I have flashed the SD card but the screen stuck at the welcome screen where it shows the IP address

the management screen shows the below any help is appriciated.
http://prntscr.com/j9urea

thanks
Hard to tell without more info. Are you able to reproduce this issue multiple times?
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi.

tazboys

Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:42 am

Hi and thank you. let me give you more precise information. I have flashed the SD card. I have booted and seen the Screenly page where it has the ip address. I have logged to the management console. noticed the date and time is wrong so I had to login to the SSH and change the NTP server and restarted the pi.

please see the latest system info screen below.

hope you can help on this one to me.

http://prntscr.com/jbvk3f
vpetersson wrote:
Hard to tell without more info. Are you able to reproduce this issue multiple times?

tazboys

Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:08 pm

tazboys wrote:
Hi and thank you. let me give you more precise information. I have flashed the SD card. I have booted and seen the Screenly page where it has the ip address. I have logged to the management console. noticed the date and time is wrong so I had to login to the SSH and change the NTP server and restarted the pi.

vpetersson wrote:
Hi,
I think I resolved the issue. our network is too secure that it was blocking NTP server and everything, thus I have connected a free network where there are no restrictions, let it initiliaze, change the NTP server and we are in business. I have connected back to the secure network, still working with no issues.

thanks,

vpetersson

Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:15 pm

tazboys wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:08 pm
tazboys wrote:

vpetersson wrote:
Hi,
I think I resolved the issue. our network is too secure that it was blocking NTP server and everything, thus I have connected a free network where there are no restrictions, let it initiliaze, change the NTP server and we are in business. I have connected back to the secure network, still working with no issues.

thanks,

Yes, the Raspberry Pi does require an NTP server since it does not have any RTC device on the board.

ddywz

Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:59 am

I had screenly OSE running perfecty fine on my Pi 3 B+ . Had the stable version installed. I first made a SD card with strech lite and installed the stable version. All was fine. All assets playing fine including pictures, movies and web links. Today I upgraded it to latest dev version to enable the authentication for its web interface. All went fine and authentication worked. I also managed to give it a static IP, installed cec-utils to control the TV On and OFF based on a schedule via cron job. All was working fine.

Once on the latest version, noticed that the web page being displayed was not rendered properly and information was off the screen with tabs missing and other info showing incorrectly. Went back and ran ~/screenly/bin/run-upgrade.sh and picked back the stable version. It did its part and came back up and running. This time the authentication was not working so I was locked out of the web interface. The assets were playing ok though based on the schedule. Still the web page was not shown properly. I then ran back the ~/screenly/bin/run-upgrade.sh and picked back latest dev version. After the upgrade at least authentication worked back but the web links were still broken and not displaying properly.

Is there a fix for this?

Thanks in advance.

amolodykh

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:01 am

ddywz wrote: I had screenly OSE running perfecty fine on my Pi 3 B+ . Had the stable version installed. I first made a SD card with strech lite and installed the stable version. All was fine. All assets playing fine including pictures, movies and web links. Today I upgraded it to latest dev version to enable the authentication for its web interface. All went fine and authentication worked. I also managed to give it a static IP, installed cec-utils to control the TV On and OFF based on a schedule via cron job. All was working fine.

Once on the latest version, noticed that the web page being displayed was not rendered properly and information was off the screen with tabs missing and other info showing incorrectly. Went back and ran ~/screenly/bin/run-upgrade.sh and picked back the stable version. It did its part and came back up and running. This time the authentication was not working so I was locked out of the web interface. The assets were playing ok though based on the schedule. Still the web page was not shown properly. I then ran back the ~/screenly/bin/run-upgrade.sh and picked back latest dev version. After the upgrade at least authentication worked back but the web links were still broken and not displaying properly.

Is there a fix for this?

Thanks in advance.
In this post I see two problems:
1. Blocked access to the web interface after returning to the stable version
2. The web page has stopped displaying correctly.
Right?

Regarding the first problem: this is expected, because the stable version does not have password encryption. to rollback, you can turn off authentication, and then go back to the stable version (if you really need it).

Regarding the second problem: I doubt that the problem is in the dev version. which web page are you talking about? is it possible that the web page has recently been changed? if so, then it's possible that the problem is on the uzbl side (outdated browser that we use).
The other day we'll publish a new experimental version with a new browser and let you know here.

ddywz

Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:19 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. No, the webpage has not changed and displays correct when called from a browser on PC. When screenly displays it there is info missing from the page. This page was displaying correctly before I upgraded to dev version though.

I was going to build a secondary screenly OSE for testing before I push things to the display that is already in use.

Please let me know when you have rolled the newer browser in the screenly so I can test.

Thanks a lot.

vpetersson

Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:22 pm

ddywz wrote:
Please let me know when you have rolled the newer browser in the screenly so I can test.
Follow @screenlyapp on Twitter and checkout the Github Release page for updates.

amolodykh

Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:07 pm

ddywz wrote:

Guys, we are happy to announce that the experimental Screenly OSE version is available. It includes the new browser with hardware acceleration support (as a replacement for old uzbl), and migration of all services to the docker. To try it follow the steps under 'Manual upgrade' here and answer yes to the question about experimental version.
We are looking forward to feedback, please let us know about any problems.

Invicible

Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:06 pm

Hi guys,

I am using Screenly OSE on Raspberry Pi and everything is great except the overscan issue. I have black border around pictures and web pages. I know what the issue is but have no idea how to fix it. I installed the Screenly OSE custom image and also have no idea how to access Raspbian console. Can somebody help me with this issue?
Thanks.

vpetersson

Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:25 am

Invicible wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:06 pm
Hi guys,

I am using Screenly OSE on Raspberry Pi and everything is great except the overscan issue. I have black border around pictures and web pages. I know what the issue is but have no idea how to fix it. I installed the Screenly OSE custom image and also have no idea how to access Raspbian console. Can somebody help me with this issue?
Thanks.
While SSH is disabled by default for security reasons, you can still access the shell using a keyboard. Simply connect the keyboard and press ctrl+alt+f3 and login with the default credentials.

sgec

Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:31 am

I'm trying to get Screenly OSE up and running on a 3B+ but I'm having issues so I'm asking for help.

I noticed under Bugfixes / improvements for "My Michelle - Sprint 7 Completed" it says
* Adds support for Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

so I went ahead and tried to install Screenly OSE on a 3B+ and here's what I experienced
Option 1: Download the custom image
Will not boot, stays stuck on rainbow screen.
Option 2: Using NOOBS
Screenly OSE does not appear as an option when running NOOBS on a 3B+
Option 3: Install Screenly OSE yourself
Screenly OSE installs but boots to console, not Screenly

I've seen posts about Screenly OSE successfully working on a 3B+ so it must be possible.

vpetersson

Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:31 am

Very interesting. I will take a look at this later today.
sgec wrote:
I'm trying to get Screenly OSE up and running on a 3B+ but I'm having issues so I'm asking for help.

I noticed under Bugfixes / improvements for "My Michelle - Sprint 7 Completed" it says

so I went ahead and tried to install Screenly OSE on a 3B+ and here's what I experienced

I've seen posts about Screenly OSE successfully working on a 3B+ so it must be possible.

vpetersson

Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:00 pm

I'm unable to reproduce this. I just flashed out the release (https://github.com/Screenly/screenly-os ... /tag/v0.15) to an SD card and was able to boot it just fine on a B+. Perhaps the the download or disk image was corrupt.

I would suggest that you re-download the disk image (and validate the MD5 checksum) and try a different SD card.

vpetersson wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:31 am
Very interesting. I will take a look at this later today.
sgec wrote:

sgec

Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:33 pm

Thank you! It was the SD card(s).

It seems that Samsung 32GB 95MB/s (U1) MicroSD EVO Select Memory Card will not boot on the 3B+ but will boot on the 3B (tested with multiple cards, multiple 3Bs and 3B+s). The Sandisk Ultra 32GB Micro SDHC UHS-I Card boots fine on both the 3B and 3B+. Memory cards were flashed identically with the Screenly OSE image.

Thanks again.

vpetersson

Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:23 pm

Interesting. Yeah, I know we've seen strange issues with SD cards over the years, but I don't recall any situation where the card wasn't detected.
sgec wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:33 pm
Thank you! It was the SD card(s).

It seems that Samsung 32GB 95MB/s (U1) MicroSD EVO Select Memory Card will not boot on the 3B+ but will boot on the 3B (tested with multiple cards, multiple 3Bs and 3B+s). The Sandisk Ultra 32GB Micro SDHC UHS-I Card boots fine on both the 3B and 3B+. Memory cards were flashed identically with the Screenly OSE image.

Thanks again.

jlabbe

Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:46 pm

Hi,
our main website display a slideshow of tractor for sale that we want to show in the screenly. The ouput are different than chrome, IE, Edge, Firefox. Many information are hidden or missing. Anybody got same issue and resolve it?.
I tried: Update uzbl, update screenly to developper version with new browser and few setting in config.txt, nothing work... :(
Any idea how to fix it?
Here's the website if you want to test it/reproduce it: http://adrienphaneuf.com/en/products-slideshow

Thanks
Attachments
webpageinscreenly.jpg
bad layout in screenly
webpageinscreenly.jpg (177.84 KiB) Viewed 722 times
webpageinchrome.jpg
good layout in chrome
webpageinchrome.jpg (180.38 KiB) Viewed 722 times

UserOfThePi

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:48 pm

Hello,

After connecting to a Wifi network the Screenly OSE does not seem to be appearing for installation on NOOBS v2.8 - Built Apr 18 2018 with all the other OS that populate once you connect to a network. I just installed a two RPis with Screenly OSE this way a few weeks ago the only difference is the ones i'm using today are the new Raspbery Pi 3 Model B+, are they not supported yet?

amolodykh

Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:01 pm

jlabbe wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:46 pm
Hi,
our main website display a slideshow of tractor for sale that we want to show in the screenly. The ouput are different than chrome, IE, Edge, Firefox. Many information are hidden or missing. Anybody got same issue and resolve it?.
I tried: Update uzbl, update screenly to developper version with new browser and few setting in config.txt, nothing work... :(
Any idea how to fix it?
Here's the website if you want to test it/reproduce it: http://adrienphaneuf.com/en/products-slideshow

Thanks
I can not now say what exactly is the reason, but I confirm that this is displayed incorrectly on our new webview. thanks for the report.

itgadgets

Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:17 pm

Hi all,

First post here and new to Raspberry Pi

Can Screenly run just one item? i.e. one video file or web page

Reason i ask is that I am looking at setting up a display with 4 separate images using 4 Raspberry Pi each displaying one video, web page or image. They would be connected to a HDMI Quad Screen Multiviewer so we can have all 4 displaying at once or someone could select which one was required to be viewed at full screen.!

The information displayed needs to be view-able at all times as it is for an emergency service, no interaction is required for the displayed info.

If I am looking at this all wrong or there is a better solution please let me know! My original idea was to run it all from a PC with mutliple connections going to the Multiviewer, this was going to be an issue because the display is going to be in another room to the PC.

Return to “Other projects”