dkguru

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:03 pm

Google Slides on Screenly OSE

When trying to show a google slide, it says "This version of the browser you are using is no longer supported."

Anyone got a way to make it work?
ScreenlyErrorGoogle.jpg
ScreenlyErrorGoogle.jpg (129.52 KiB) Viewed 3649 times

vpetersson

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:40 am

Keep your eyes on this Github issue:
https://github.com/Screenly/screenly-ose/issues/527

In short, we need to replace the browser, but we'd love to have some development help there.
dkguru wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:03 pm
Google Slides on Screenly OSE

When trying to show a google slide, it says "This version of the browser you are using is no longer supported."

Anyone got a way to make it work?

ScreenlyErrorGoogle.jpg
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi.
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

FrogFarmer

Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:36 pm

I recently installed Screenly on a couple Pis using NOOBS. I turned off the 24-hour clock on the Settings, but the clock asset still displays in the 24-hour format. Is there something I'm missing? Thanks!

pHeoz

Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:44 pm

Hi,

I worked on Screenly OSE in 2014. Back then, I could 'pkill x' and then 'startx' to restart the player. Now, the 'startx' command is gone. How can you restart the player (= turn back on the GUI) once you've killed it ?

I noticed that when I run 'pkill x', video assets will keep playing, but webpages will fail because uzbl cannot access the GUI.

So, what's the new way to proceed ?

Thanks

vpetersson

Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:11 pm

FrogFarmer wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:36 pm
I recently installed Screenly on a couple Pis using NOOBS. I turned off the 24-hour clock on the Settings, but the clock asset still displays in the 24-hour format. Is there something I'm missing? Thanks!
Could be a bug. Create an issue on Github (http://github.com/screenly/screenly-ose) with steps how to reproduce the issue.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi.

vpetersson

Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:13 pm

pHeoz wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:44 pm
Hi,

I worked on Screenly OSE in 2014. Back then, I could 'pkill x' and then 'startx' to restart the player. Now, the 'startx' command is gone. How can you restart the player (= turn back on the GUI) once you've killed it ?

I noticed that when I run 'pkill x', video assets will keep playing, but webpages will fail because uzbl cannot access the GUI.

So, what's the new way to proceed ?

Thanks
We've made a fair amount of changes since then, and there were also a fair amount of changes upstream in regards to how this works.

The best way to move forward would be to create an issue on Github with the the branch you're using, along with what Raspbian version.

mchlwllmthms

Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:13 pm

What the hell is going on?

The new updates to OSE have been an absolute nightmare! Am I the only one having trouble with this?

Many of the updates required me to completely re-install new images from scratch (a complete PITA because my Pi's are all over town). Even fresh installs are having connectivity issues and despite being able to SSH to them, can't get the web interface to show up (also come to find out the newest release has the web server listening on port 80 instead of 8080!... why??)

Static IP's seem to be impossible to set properly using the new network-manager package and most of my RPis are disappearing from the networks entirely or still just showing up with dhcp leased ip addresses.

Some of my older RPi's won't even run the new release.

This has been a total mess... anybody else been through this have some ideas?

vpetersson

Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:04 am

Hi mchlwllmthms,

Sorry to hear that. We've not received any feedback like that since the release, but we did make a fair amount of changes in this release. All of this it outlined in this blog post:
https://www.screenly.io/blog/2018/01/19 ... available/

If you're using your Screenly OSE devices in a commercial environment like that, I strongly recommend that you read all the release notes (which can be found here https://github.com/Screenly/screenly-ose/releases) prior to upgrading your devices such that you can plan it upgrades accordingly.

We're also not aware about any issues with older Raspberry Pis, but our QA is mostly focused on the Raspberry P3 3 Model B, as that is what the vast majority of users are using. If you find some issue with an older Raspberry Pi, please create a Github issue (https://github.com/Screenly/screenly-ose/issues) with exact hardware and steps to reproduce the issue.

Also, all development discussion happens in public on the Github. The next releases is usually planned weeks in advance of a release, giving plenty of time to chime in on concerns.

Lastly, if you're having issues with one release, you can always roll back to a given version that you know works for your setup and then report the issue.
mchlwllmthms wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:13 pm
What the hell is going on?

The new updates to OSE have been an absolute nightmare! Am I the only one having trouble with this?

Many of the updates required me to completely re-install new images from scratch (a complete PITA because my Pi's are all over town). Even fresh installs are having connectivity issues and despite being able to SSH to them, can't get the web interface to show up (also come to find out the newest release has the web server listening on port 80 instead of 8080!... why??)

Static IP's seem to be impossible to set properly using the new network-manager package and most of my RPis are disappearing from the networks entirely or still just showing up with dhcp leased ip addresses.

Some of my older RPi's won't even run the new release.

This has been a total mess... anybody else been through this have some ideas?

mchlwllmthms

Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:10 pm

vpetersson wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:04 am
If you're using your Screenly OSE devices in a commercial environment like that, I strongly recommend that you read all the release notes (which can be found here https://github.com/Screenly/screenly-ose/releases) prior to upgrading your devices such that you can plan it upgrades accordingly.
So, where on this page: https://www.screenly.io/ose/#upgrade does it link to release notes or even indicate which version the

Code: Select all

$ bash <(curl -sL https://www.screenly.io/install-ose.sh)
script will upgrade to? Is it Paradise City? Something else? Something you all need to keep in mind is that the raspberry pi is still an educational platform with a lot of inexperienced users and we're not all devs who know how to navigate all the ins and outs of releases and resin and docker and reverse proxies and source codes and github... OSE is an awesome product and has been very beneficial to us, but right now it's a mess for me even using the pre-configured custom images.

Soooo.... you've gotten rid of screenly network manager so we're no longer setting static IP in the /boot/network.ini file... fine... I'd just gotten used to that, but I didn't like the implementation, so good. https://www.screenly.io/blog/2018/01/19 ... available/ says custom ethernet connection config should be done in /etc/network/interfaces, which only results in "unable to resolve local IP address" and no connection to network. /etc/network/interfaces header says "For static IP, consult /etc/dhcpcd.conf"... okay, so I can set static IP in dhcpcd.conf like I used to do? no problem. Revert the /etc/network/interfaces file and instead update dhcpcd.conf file with static IP settings -> nope, just a dhcp leased address. Again, this is using a custom OSE image downloaded from the Paradise City release entry on this page: https://github.com/screenly/screenly-ose/releases

vpetersson

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:47 pm

mchlwllmthms wrote:
script will upgrade to? Is it Paradise City? Something else?
That script will always upgrade to the latest stable relase.
mchlwllmthms wrote:
Something you all need to keep in mind is that the raspberry pi is still an educational platform with a lot of inexperienced users and we're not all devs who know how to navigate all the ins and outs of releases and resin and docker and reverse proxies and source codes and github... OSE is an awesome product and has been very beneficial to us, but right now it's a mess for me even using the pre-configured custom images.
The Raspberry Pi is a hardware platform. Education is one use case (which the Foundation is passionate about), but hardly the only which is evident by this forum and ecosystem at large.

We try to make things as easy as possible to use, but sometimes we need to make breaking changes in order to move things forward. We do welcome contributions for both code and documentation and we spend significant (paid) resources on maintaining and improving Screenly OSE. However, if you are looking for a commercial option that "just works" with fully support that we do offer that through Screenly Pro (which is what allows us to maintain Screenly OSE).
mchlwllmthms wrote:
Soooo.... you've gotten rid of screenly network manager so we're no longer setting static IP in the /boot/network.ini file... fine... I'd just gotten used to that, but I didn't like the implementation, so good. https://www.screenly.io/blog/2018/01/19 ... available/ says custom ethernet connection config should be done in /etc/network/interfaces, which only results in "unable to resolve local IP address" and no connection to network. /etc/network/interfaces header says "For static IP, consult /etc/dhcpcd.conf"... okay, so I can set static IP in dhcpcd.conf like I used to do? no problem. Revert the /etc/network/interfaces file and instead update dhcpcd.conf file with static IP settings -> nope, just a dhcp leased address. Again, this is using a custom OSE image downloaded from the Paradise City release entry on this page: https://github.com/screenly/screenly-ose/releases
Networking is left untouched from upstream Raspbian (with exception of the WiFi captive portal). We have done this to ensure that we divert as little as possible in the networking stack. The only difference really is that we install Network Manager. Other than that, the upstream documentation for networking shall apply.

NickWe

Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:46 am

Hi Guys

I'm fairly new to Raspberry and Screenly, so I hope this isn't a stupid question.
First I put the .img file on the SD card via Win32DiskImager.
Then I plugged the SD card into the Raspberry.

Then it started and eventually went to a screen where a link is displayed and it says I should point my browser to this link to manage the content on this screen.

This all happened without the video that should play according to the website.

My problem is that I can't reach the displayed link.
I tried it on my laptop and on my phone with different browsers.

Thanks for your help.

vpetersson

Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:01 pm

Good day, fine people!

I just wanted to let you all know that we just shipped a major update to Screenly Pro. You can read all about it here:
https://goo.gl/EJ4eVW.

amolodykh

Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:03 am

NickWe wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:46 am
My problem is that I can't reach the displayed link.
I tried it on my laptop and on my phone with different browsers.
If the image writing was successful and a laptop is on the same network as Pi, then everything should be in fine. Is the problem still urgent? Let's figure it out if that problem is not solved yet.

jeremy_mau

Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:29 pm

Hello,

I'm new with raspberry pi and screenly OSE, I've just installed it and I can't put videos or photos in asset
is this normal or how to resolve this problem ?

Thank you in advance

Jeremy

vpetersson

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:22 am

jeremy_mau wrote:
Hello,

I'm new with raspberry pi and screenly OSE, I've just installed it and I can't put videos or photos in asset

Thank you in advance

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

You'd have to be more specific than that. Normally it works out-of-the-box.

What exactly are you having issues with?

jeremy_mau

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:17 pm

vpetersson wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:22 am
jeremy_mau wrote:
Hello,

Thank you in advance

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

You'd have to be more specific than that. Normally it works out-of-the-box.

What exactly are you having issues with?
Excuse me for my quick question. the problem was that the format of my video was wrong. with a mp4 video all is good

sorry again for this question

jeremy

nithyadeepthi

Problem while downloading video

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:26 am

Hi ,

When I'm downloading a video through Screenly, I get this error sometimes 'Server Error: Command '['youtube-dl', '-e', u'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7yvxdCU9Cg']' returned non-zero exit status 1'. Sometimes this gets fixed after a reboot, but the problem comes again.

Also, getting this error while trying to move an asset to the active list 'Server Error: Invalid file path. Failed to add asset. '

Have you ever experienced this problem. Could you please help me to sort this out?

This is the model I use: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2

amolodykh

Re: Problem while downloading video

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:11 am

nithyadeepthi wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:26 am
Hi ,

When I'm downloading a video through Screenly, I get this error sometimes 'Server Error: Command '['youtube-dl', '-e', u'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7yvxdCU9Cg']' returned non-zero exit status 1'. Sometimes this gets fixed after a reboot, but the problem comes again.

Also, getting this error while trying to move an asset to the active list 'Server Error: Invalid file path. Failed to add asset. '

Have you ever experienced this problem. Could you please help me to sort this out?

This is the model I use: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2
Hi, can you do

Code: Select all

sudo journalctl > foobar.txt
and attach foobar.txt once this happens?

Stefan_Rasp

Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:38 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm new to Raspberry and Screenly, so I hope this isn't a stupid question.

I have worked on code and change something, and now I would like to try if the changes work on my Rasp.

My problem now is: how can I make a IMG bottable to run on Raspberry?

Thank you in advance

Stefan

vpetersson

Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:37 am

Hi Stefan,

The normal workflow for making these kind of changes is to fork the Github repository and then make changes there. You can then simply checkout your own fork of Screenly OSE directly on the Raspberry Pi.

The benefit with this approach over just making changes is that you can easily track your changes and pull in changes from the upstream branch later on simply by using git magic.
Stefan_Rasp wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:38 pm
Hi Guys,

I'm new to Raspberry and Screenly, so I hope this isn't a stupid question.

I have worked on code and change something, and now I would like to try if the changes work on my Rasp.

My problem now is: how can I make a IMG bottable to run on Raspberry?

Thank you in advance

Stefan

threepwood

Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:02 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking to configure Screenly for a hidden WiFi network and am failing via the new resin portal. We've previously configured this via wpa_supplicant.conf in older builds, but this no longer appears to work in the Paradise City release. Is there a way of configuring a connection to a hidden SSID via resin, or should I be going about this in a different way, please?

Many thanks in advance!

vpetersson

Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:59 am

threepwood wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:02 pm
Hi all,

I'm looking to configure Screenly for a hidden WiFi network and am failing via the new resin portal. We've previously configured this via wpa_supplicant.conf in older builds, but this no longer appears to work in the Paradise City release. Is there a way of configuring a connection to a hidden SSID via resin, or should I be going about this in a different way, please?

Many thanks in advance!
The resin-wifi-connect portal is mostly to help ‘common’ setups. For more ‘complicated’ setups (and I guess hidden SSIDs would fall into this bracket), you can still use a regular WiFi setup. In short, at boot resin-wifi-connect checks if there is an existing network connection. If there is one, it will simply skip that step.

As such, what you need to do in your environment is to simply configure wpa)_supplicant.conf as you did before and you should be good to go.

Hope that helps.

threepwood

Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:07 am

Thanks for your reply @vpetersson, much appreciated!

My findings from some testing -

If I place a populated wpa_supplicant.conf file into the boot partition of a plain stretch image, at first boot the Pi automatically connects to the hidden network without any additional configuration changes.

If I place the wpa_supplicant.conf file on the boot partition of the Screenly image, the wpa_supplicant.conf file gets placed into /etc/wpa_supplicant as expected, but WiFi does not connect - at first boot I see the portal page, advertising the temporary Screenly network for configuration. Ifconfig reports the Screenly IP address 192.168.42.x.

The blog page for the Paradise City release states
For custom Ethernet configuration and advanced configurations, you can either use nmcli by hand on the device, or configure networking through /etc/network/interfaces

My linux knowledge is pretty basic, so I'm learning as I go, but I have seen multiple references warning against editing /etc/network/interfaces as it's deprecated in Stretch. I have had success with nmcli but haven't worked out if this method will cause WiFi to auto-reconnect if the connection drops. If nmcli is the way to go with hidden SSIDs, that's absolutely no problem - my aim is to nail down a solid way of deploying a Pi running the latest and greatest Screenly build in a consistent manner.

Thanks!

vpetersson

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:32 pm

There are a lot of things changing as far as networking goes in both Debian/Raspbian/Ubuntu in recent releases. My recommendation would be that you dig further down the path of Network Manager (nmcli). There are two reasons for this:

* It is emerging as the standard for WiFi configurations
* It is the backend that resin wifi connect uses

Also, I realize that we might have rushed out our resin wifi connect deployment and we are aware of some issues there (some of which were fixed in the development branch).

Good luck!
threepwood wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:07 am
Thanks for your reply @vpetersson, much appreciated!

My findings from some testing -

If I place a populated wpa_supplicant.conf file into the boot partition of a plain stretch image, at first boot the Pi automatically connects to the hidden network without any additional configuration changes.

If I place the wpa_supplicant.conf file on the boot partition of the Screenly image, the wpa_supplicant.conf file gets placed into /etc/wpa_supplicant as expected, but WiFi does not connect - at first boot I see the portal page, advertising the temporary Screenly network for configuration. Ifconfig reports the Screenly IP address 192.168.42.x.

The blog page for the Paradise City release states
For custom Ethernet configuration and advanced configurations, you can either use nmcli by hand on the device, or configure networking through /etc/network/interfaces

My linux knowledge is pretty basic, so I'm learning as I go, but I have seen multiple references warning against editing /etc/network/interfaces as it's deprecated in Stretch. I have had success with nmcli but haven't worked out if this method will cause WiFi to auto-reconnect if the connection drops. If nmcli is the way to go with hidden SSIDs, that's absolutely no problem - my aim is to nail down a solid way of deploying a Pi running the latest and greatest Screenly build in a consistent manner.

Thanks!

threepwood

Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:32 pm

That's great, thank you for the advice.

For reference, connection via wpa_supplicant works, if you add config to /etc/network/interfaces, but I'm reluctant to rely upon something that is deprecated.

NetworkManager works great, so I'm up and running now.

Thanks again!

Return to “Other projects”