vpetersson

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:29 am

danbsfc wrote:I have tried updating one of our Pis twice using

Code: Select all

curl -sL https://raw.github.com/wireload/screenly-ose/master/misc/upgrade.sh | bash
however both installs have failed both times at the final stage with a fatal error. Am I doing something wrong?
See this Issue on Github:
https://github.com/wireload/screenly-ose/issues/375

tl;dr: Do a reboot and re-run it.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

danbsfc

Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:36 am

vpetersson wrote:
danbsfc wrote:I have tried updating one of our Pis twice using

curl -sL https://raw.github.com/wireload/screenly-ose/master/misc/upgrade.sh | bash
however both installs have failed both times at the final stage with a fatal error. Am I doing something wrong?
See this Issue on Github:
https://github.com/wireload/screenly-ose/issues/375

tl;dr: Do a reboot and re-run it.
Thanks for the quick response. I'm just re-flashing a recent backup and I'll try again and update you with the result.

adiefender

Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:21 pm

vpetersson wrote:Hey guys,

I just wanted to say that we've just published a new image for OSE that adds support for the Raspberry Pi Model B 3.

You can find the pre-configured image here:
https://www.screenlyapp.com/ose/
Thank you! - Works well. Since the Pi3 has built in WLAN, can we get a feature upgrade to, on first boot allow the input of WLAN settings via K/M then reboot and it take off and do its things as normal?

vpetersson

Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:25 pm

adiefender wrote:
vpetersson wrote:Hey guys,

I just wanted to say that we've just published a new image for OSE that adds support for the Raspberry Pi Model B 3.

You can find the pre-configured image here:
https://www.screenlyapp.com/ose/
Thank you! - Works well. Since the Pi3 has built in WLAN, can we get a feature upgrade to, on first boot allow the input of WLAN settings via K/M then reboot and it take off and do its things as normal?
We already have this build into Screenly Pro (but not via keyboard), but I'm not sure if we will port that functionality to Screenly OSE.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),

nmhitchens

Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:07 pm

Hi, I just flashed the newest version of Screenly OSE and connected through my browser to get my display set up, but I cannot connect to my Pi via SSH with this new version. I tried going into the config and setting it to enable SSH, but I still cannot connect. I receive this message each time: "Network error: Software caused connection abort".

Any assistance you can provide would be much appreciated.

vpetersson

Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:29 am

nmhitchens wrote:Hi, I just flashed the newest version of Screenly OSE and connected through my browser to get my display set up, but I cannot connect to my Pi via SSH with this new version. I tried going into the config and setting it to enable SSH, but I still cannot connect. I receive this message each time: "Network error: Software caused connection abort".

Any assistance you can provide would be much appreciated.
Hmm, not sure. Try logging in using the tty and see what's going on in the logs.

jscaptura

Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:49 pm

Do updates still require a reboot? Previous updates had a reminder about rebooting when they completed, but I haven't seen that after the last couple updates.

vpetersson

Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:56 pm

jscaptura wrote:Do updates still require a reboot? Previous updates had a reminder about rebooting when they completed, but I haven't seen that after the last couple updates.
That depends what version you're upgrading from. Once you've upgraded to the more recent version, you'll not need a reboot.

vpetersson

Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:55 am

More goodies posted today. Do however note that the URL for installing/upgrading now is:

$ bash <(curl -sL https://www.screenlyapp.com/install-ose.sh)

mlittelds9

Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:58 pm

Hi,

any chance of a preview button by each asset which is on display... it would be so useful...

Thanks

Mark

vpetersson

Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:01 pm

mlittelds9 wrote:Hi,

any chance of a preview button by each asset which is on display... it would be so useful...

Thanks

Mark
It's pretty hard to do for websites, as they are it a) requires a lot of dependencies and b) is a very resource heavy operation.

prairietech

Screenly OSE -- Occassional White Monitor Screen

Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:27 pm

I've been using Screenly OSE for years to display a HTML web page from my home weather station hosted on my local server. But every so often I get a blank white display.

My two assets are http://192.168.1.100/weather?show=1 and ?show=2 set to 10 seconds each so a fresh page is always displayed. Maybe 6-8 times an hour, one of the assets displays only a white screen once. The white screen is only displayed for 10 seconds until the next asset displays correctly. The next 10 seconds the previously white asset display is normal.

I thought about increasing the duration but that would result in a longer display of the white screen asset.

Running RPi2 with the Screenly OSE image.

vpetersson

Re: Screenly OSE -- Occassional White Monitor Screen

Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:10 pm

prairietech wrote:I've been using Screenly OSE for years to display a HTML web page from my home weather station hosted on my local server. But every so often I get a blank white display.

My two assets are http://192.168.1.100/weather?show=1 and ?show=2 set to 10 seconds each so a fresh page is always displayed. Maybe 6-8 times an hour, one of the assets displays only a white screen once. The white screen is only displayed for 10 seconds until the next asset displays correctly. The next 10 seconds the previously white asset display is normal.

I thought about increasing the duration but that would result in a longer display of the white screen asset.

Strange. Have you tried upgrading to the latest version? If not, do that first. next, grab the logs and post them here or at Github as an issue.

jscaptura

Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:11 pm

I'm on the latest version, and just attempted to upload some new video assets. I am finding that short videos upload fine, but all of the longer (300mb - 400mb) videos are failing to upload about 1/4 of the way through transfer. The Add Asset dialog throws up a "The operation failed. Please reload the page and try again." message. I've previously not had any problem uploading large video assets, and there is 4G Free Space available on this install. Any thoughts?

jscaptura

Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:31 pm

Upon further investigation - uploads are all failing 30 seconds into the transfer.

prairietech

Re: Screenly OSE -- Occassional White Monitor Screen

Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:07 am

I finally caught the white screen display in the act. Here is the log entry that appeared at that time.

Fri, 29 Apr 2016 21:04:34 Generating asset-list...

vpetersson wrote:
prairietech wrote:I've been using Screenly OSE for years to display a HTML web page from my home weather station hosted on my local server. But every so often I get a blank white display.

Strange. Have you tried upgrading to the latest version? If not, do that first. next, grab the logs and post them here or at Github as an issue.

vpetersson

Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:40 am

jscaptura wrote:Upon further investigation - uploads are all failing 30 seconds into the transfer.
Good find. We'll look into it shortly. Stay tune and keep an eye at the Github issue: https://github.com/wireload/screenly-ose/issues/404

alnjxn

Tue May 03, 2016 3:09 pm

I just want to share my first time experience installing screenly on a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B, as I ran into a few hiccups. The installer script errored out on a number of dependencies, so I wanted to list what they were and how I got screenly up and running in case it helps someone else.

I installed on a clean version of Jessie Lite (2016-03-18-raspbian-jessie-lite), after following all the setup instructions on the install page, I needed to perform the following:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install python-dev
sudo apt-get install libffi-dev
sudo apt-get install libssl-dev
sudo pip install -U setuptools
mkdir .config
mkdir .config/uzbl
then I was able to issue the install script command and have it run successfully:

bash <(curl -sL https://www.screenlyapp.com/install-ose.sh)
Hope this help someone.

-Alan

vpetersson

Tue May 03, 2016 5:14 pm

alnjxn wrote:I just want to share my first time experience installing screenly on a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B, as I ran into a few hiccups. The installer script errored out on a number of dependencies, so I wanted to list what they were and how I got screenly up and running in case it helps someone else.

I installed on a clean version of Jessie Lite (2016-03-18-raspbian-jessie-lite), after following all the setup instructions on the install page, I needed to perform the following:

sudo apt-get update
mkdir .config
mkdir .config/uzbl
then I was able to issue the install script command and have it run successfully:

Hope this help someone.

-Alan

Great catch, Alan.

While I wasn't able to reproduce this myself, I did push some fixes that should address those edge cases. This is now part of the main installation script. Please note that dist-upgrade shouldn't be required.

lunch.box

Wed May 04, 2016 12:13 am

alnjxn wrote:I just want to share my first time experience installing screenly on a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B, as I ran into a few hiccups. The installer script errored out on a number of dependencies, so I wanted to list what they were and how I got screenly up and running in case it helps someone else.

sudo apt-get update
mkdir .config
mkdir .config/uzbl

Hope this help someone.

-Alan
I came here just to say this, thank you!

vpetersson

Wed May 04, 2016 8:28 am

lunch.box wrote: I came here just to say this, thank you!
Thank you for the kind words. :D

darrellj

Unable to Access the Terminal

Fri May 06, 2016 6:51 pm

Hey!

I just updated Sceenly OSE to the most recent version (2016-04-20) and I am no longer able to access the terminal. I tried CTRL+ALT+F1 and this no longer works. Is there a different key combination that is required at this point?

Thanks so much!

vpetersson

Re: Unable to Access the Terminal

Mon May 09, 2016 2:32 pm

darrellj wrote:Hey!

I just updated Sceenly OSE to the most recent version (2016-04-20) and I am no longer able to access the terminal. I tried CTRL+ALT+F1 and this no longer works. Is there a different key combination that is required at this point?

Thanks so much!
Hmm. The new image is based on Jessie. We have not made any changes in regards to this. I'm able to access my devices using the keyboard just fine. Maybe try a with a different keyboard and see if makes a difference.

hr914

Tue May 10, 2016 5:24 pm

Hi there,

just to make sure: I should be able to update screenly OSE currently running on a PI II with wheezy by using this command:
$ bash <(curl -sL https://www.screenlyapp.com/install-ose.sh) , right ? Then I am asked if I would like to do a system update,too, so I reply "y". The update begins, but it stops with the following:
TASK [system : Install systemd-sysv on Wheezy] *********************************
fatal: [localhost]: FAILED! => {"changed": true, "cmd": ["bash", "-c", "echo \"Yes, do as I say!\" | apt-get install -y --force-yes systemd-sysv"], "delta": "0:00:02.960393", "end": "2016-05-10 18:45:45.430276", "failed": true, "rc": 1, "st art": "2016-05-10 18:45:42.469883", "stderr": "", "stdout": "Paketlisten werden gelesen...\nAbhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut....\nStatusinformationen werden ein gelesen....\nDie folgenden Pakete wurden automatisch installiert und werden nicht mehr benötigt:\n giblib1 libjpeg-progs\nVerwenden Sie »apt-get autoremove«, um sie zu entfernen.\nDie folgenden Pakete werden ENTFERNT:\n sysvinit\nDie folgenden NEUEN Pakete werden installiert:\n systemd-sysv\nWARNUNG: Die folgenden essentiellen Pakete werden entfernt.\nDies sollte NICHT geschehen, außer Sie wissen genau, was Sie tun!\n sysvinit\n0 aktualisiert, 1 neu installiert, 1 zu entfernen und 114 nicht aktualisiert.\nEs müssen 15,1 kB an Archiven heruntergeladen werden.\nNach dieser Operation werden 168 kB Plattenplatz freigegeben.\nSie sind im Begriff, etwas potentiell Schädliches zu tun.\nZum Fortfahren geben Sie bitte »Ja, tue was ich sage!« ein.\n ?] Abbruch.", "stdout_lines": ["Paketlisten werden gelesen...", "Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut....", "Statusinformationen werden eingelesen....", "Die folgenden Pakete wurden automatisch installiert und werden nicht mehr benötigt:", " giblib1 libjpeg-progs", "Verwenden Sie »apt-get autoremove«, um sie zu entfernen.", "Die folgenden Pakete werden ENTFERNT:", "sysvinit", "Die folgenden NEUEN Pakete werden installiert:", " systemd-sysv", "WARNUNG: Die folgenden essentiellen Pakete werden entfernt.", "Dies sollte NICH T geschehen, außer Sie wissen genau, was Sie tun!", " sysvinit", "0 aktualisiert, 1 neu installiert, 1 zu entfernen und 114 nicht aktualisiert.", "Es müssen 15,1 kB an Archiven heruntergeladen werden.", "Nach dieser Operation werden 168 kB Plattenplatz freigegeben.", "Sie sind im Begriff, etwas potentiell Schädliches zu tun.", "Zum Fortfahren geben Sie bitte »Ja, tue was ich sage!« ein.", " ?] Abbruch."], "warnings": []}

NO MORE HOSTS LEFT *************************************************************
to retry, use: --limit @site.retry

PLAY RECAP *********************************************************************
localhost : ok=10 changed=2 unreachable=0 failed=1

[email protected] ~ $
Any idea what I have do do ? I know it is probably difficult to understand for non-german speakers, but maybe there are other Germans among us... and remember, "don't mention the war" :-P

regards
Patrick

vpetersson

Wed May 11, 2016 9:20 am

hr914 wrote:Hi there,

just to make sure: I should be able to update screenly OSE currently running on a PI II with wheezy by using this command:
$ bash <(curl -sL https://www.screenlyapp.com/install-ose.sh) , right ? Then I am asked if I would like to do a system update,too, so I reply "y". The update begins, but it stops with the following:
TASK [system : Install systemd-sysv on Wheezy] *********************************
fatal: [localhost]: FAILED! => {"changed": true, "cmd": ["bash", "-c", "echo \"Yes, do as I say!\" | apt-get install -y --force-yes systemd-sysv"], "delta": "0:00:02.960393", "end": "2016-05-10 18:45:45.430276", "failed": true, "rc": 1, "st art": "2016-05-10 18:45:42.469883", "stderr": "", "stdout": "Paketlisten werden gelesen...\nAbhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut....\nStatusinformationen werden ein gelesen....\nDie folgenden Pakete wurden automatisch installiert und werden nicht mehr benötigt:\n giblib1 libjpeg-progs\nVerwenden Sie »apt-get autoremove«, um sie zu entfernen.\nDie folgenden Pakete werden ENTFERNT:\n sysvinit\nDie folgenden NEUEN Pakete werden installiert:\n systemd-sysv\nWARNUNG: Die folgenden essentiellen Pakete werden entfernt.\nDies sollte NICHT geschehen, außer Sie wissen genau, was Sie tun!\n sysvinit\n0 aktualisiert, 1 neu installiert, 1 zu entfernen und 114 nicht aktualisiert.\nEs müssen 15,1 kB an Archiven heruntergeladen werden.\nNach dieser Operation werden 168 kB Plattenplatz freigegeben.\nSie sind im Begriff, etwas potentiell Schädliches zu tun.\nZum Fortfahren geben Sie bitte »Ja, tue was ich sage!« ein.\n ?] Abbruch.", "stdout_lines": ["Paketlisten werden gelesen...", "Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut....", "Statusinformationen werden eingelesen....", "Die folgenden Pakete wurden automatisch installiert und werden nicht mehr benötigt:", " giblib1 libjpeg-progs", "Verwenden Sie »apt-get autoremove«, um sie zu entfernen.", "Die folgenden Pakete werden ENTFERNT:", "sysvinit", "Die folgenden NEUEN Pakete werden installiert:", " systemd-sysv", "WARNUNG: Die folgenden essentiellen Pakete werden entfernt.", "Dies sollte NICH T geschehen, außer Sie wissen genau, was Sie tun!", " sysvinit", "0 aktualisiert, 1 neu installiert, 1 zu entfernen und 114 nicht aktualisiert.", "Es müssen 15,1 kB an Archiven heruntergeladen werden.", "Nach dieser Operation werden 168 kB Plattenplatz freigegeben.", "Sie sind im Begriff, etwas potentiell Schädliches zu tun.", "Zum Fortfahren geben Sie bitte »Ja, tue was ich sage!« ein.", " ?] Abbruch."], "warnings": []}

NO MORE HOSTS LEFT *************************************************************
to retry, use: --limit @site.retry

PLAY RECAP *********************************************************************
localhost : ok=10 changed=2 unreachable=0 failed=1

[email protected] ~ $
Any idea what I have do do ? I know it is probably difficult to understand for non-german speakers, but maybe there are other Germans among us... and remember, "don't mention the war" :-P

regards
Patrick
Hmm, my best guess would be that this is a locale issue. The easiest solution would be to switch locale to English.

The more cumbersome solution would be to add custom handling for various locales, but that would require a fair amount of work.

Return to “Other projects”