plasmasnake

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:40 am

I just spent some time trying this out today. Is there a way to manually skip to the next asset from the web interface? When a video is playing, even when I remove it from the web interface it continues to play, presumably until the video is done. It would be nice to have some more functionality to allow direct control over what is playing, and also some scheduling capability (for example, if I want to play a live video stream every Friday at 2pm).

vpetersson

Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:20 am

plasmasnake wrote:I just spent some time trying this out today. Is there a way to manually skip to the next asset from the web interface? When a video is playing, even when I remove it from the web interface it continues to play, presumably until the video is done. It would be nice to have some more functionality to allow direct control over what is playing, and also some scheduling capability (for example, if I want to play a live video stream every Friday at 2pm).
Hi there,

No, there's currently no way to 'stop' a video per se. This is part of the reason why we don't fully support streaming videos. It is certainly possible to add support for, but we don't have this right now built-in, but we'd be happy to accept a Pull Request for this.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

Armageddon8

Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:50 am

Is there a feature available to be able to view what each asset looks like?

Say i have 50 odd images, am i able to click on one in the web interface to view the image?

Is this a feature? Or will it become one?

vpetersson

Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:44 am

Armageddon8 wrote:Is there a feature available to be able to view what each asset looks like?

Say i have 50 odd images, am i able to click on one in the web interface to view the image?

Is this a feature? Or will it become one?
It's a feature in Screenly Pro, but not in Screenly OSE.

In theory, it would be possible to do in OSE too now with the Pi 2 with ImageMagick (or similar).
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),

Armageddon8

Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:11 am

vpetersson wrote: It's a feature in Screenly Pro, but not in Screenly OSE.

In theory, it would be possible to do in OSE too now with the Pi 2 with ImageMagick (or similar).
Thank you!

philmills

Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:01 am

Clifor wrote:
vpetersson wrote:
That's awesome! Great job.

By 'latest' you mean Raspbian 2012-09-18, right? I tried it on 2012-08-16 and it didn't work.
No, I actually meant 2012-08-16 and I hadn't seen the later.

I am about to test it with 2012-09-18...

... and yes, the display_rotate tweak works ok.

I am now installing screenly to test everything together, I expect to confirm later today.
I'm using 2015-11-03-Screenly_OSE_4GB custom image from the Screenly OSE page. There are currently 3 simple steps to get rotation working nicely.
[*] edit .screenly/screenly.conf and change

Code: Select all

resolution = 1920x108
0 to

resolution = 1080x1920
[*] (its recommended to change the gpu memory split as rotation requires more gpu mem) edit /boot/config.txt, add

gpu_mem=64
to the bottom
[*] edit /boot/config.txt, add

display_rotate=3 
to the bottom (this will rotate 270 degrees).
Be aware that running the Screenly update script may overwrite your screenly.conf file, so be sure to check it after upgrading.

sstandeford

Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:45 pm

I have installed Screenly several times using the 2015-11-03-Screenly_OSE_4GB.img image file. Pi boots up into the GUI I have expanded the filesystem the provided content plays fine. However, I cannot add any assets I receive a server error alert after it uploads the first chunk?

Error reads "Server Error: Not enough information provided. Please specify 'name', 'uri', and 'mimetype'.".

Also the chunk is added to the system with all of the data entered into the upload form and the first bit of the video plays? Seems something is going on with the uploader bits? Like the javascript multipart upload is behaving badly? I tried multiple SD cards thinking that might be the issue writing the data to the SD?...but the same thing every time from this image?

Any help or suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

alpenjodel

Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:43 am

Hello there, does anyone knows how to get running the Raspberry Pi 2 with Screenly and the official Raspberry Pi 7" touch screen which works over the DSI connector?

Thanks, Daniel!

vpetersson

Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:04 pm

alpenjodel wrote:Hello there, does anyone knows how to get running the Raspberry Pi 2 with Screenly and the official Raspberry Pi 7" touch screen which works over the DSI connector?

Thanks, Daniel!
I don't have my hands on one of those, so I can't try. That said, if X11 and framebuffer is properly configured, it should work in theory.

alpenjodel

Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:54 pm

vpetersson wrote:
alpenjodel wrote:Hello there, does anyone knows how to get running the Raspberry Pi 2 with Screenly and the official Raspberry Pi 7" touch screen which works over the DSI connector?

Thanks, Daniel!
I don't have my hands on one of those, so I can't try. That said, if X11 and framebuffer is properly configured, it should work in theory.
Sorry, google doesn't help me.
What I have to do to configure X11 and framebuffer?
I'm nötig so experienced with the RPI.

karhyv

Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:48 am

(Sorry if this issue has been discussed before but I couldn't find anything.)

I need to insert a Dropbox public link to Screenly but I get this error:
"Server Error: Could not retrieve file. Check the asset URL"

What causes this error? Other kind of links work fine.

vpetersson

Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:41 am

karhyv wrote:(Sorry if this issue has been discussed before but I couldn't find anything.)

One common gotcha with Dropbox that I've seen in the past is that there's a 'dl=0' at the end of the URL. If you change that to 'dl=1' that might do the trick.

Morphy99

Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:42 pm

igoldsmith wrote:
igoldsmith wrote:I'm trying to run an apache server to create a local proxy so that I can access sites that require authentication from Screenly. The server starts and netstat -an shows that it's listening on port 80 (0.0.0.0:80 0.0.0.0:*), but I get connection refused after a long timeout when I try and reach it from off the machine. I can access the screenly UI on 8080 just fine.

I'm curious if screenly installs some kind of firewall on the raspberry pi that I'm not familiar with. IP Tables doesn't seem to be setup.

Any help getting access to port 80 locally will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
This was an iptables issue. I figured out how to open the port. That said, if you want to do something like this I suggest using the manual install instructions and working from a later Raspberrian build.
Can you give me a brief clue how you opened the port please?

dave312

Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:01 pm

Each time I reboot server.py does not launch by itself. I always have to nohup it myself manually. Very odd.

vpetersson

Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:41 am

dave312 wrote:Each time I reboot server.py does not launch by itself. I always have to nohup it myself manually. Very odd.
Sounds like an issue with Supervisor. I'd check the supervisor logs for clues.

karhyv

Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:45 pm

vpetersson wrote:
karhyv wrote:(Sorry if this issue has been discussed before but I couldn't find anything.)

One common gotcha with Dropbox that I've seen in the past is that there's a 'dl=0' at the end of the URL. If you change that to 'dl=1' that might do the trick.
I still have problems with Dropbox (and Onedrive) links. Can I save the html file locally in Raspberry and link to it?

vpetersson

Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:53 pm

karhyv wrote:
I still have problems with Dropbox (and Onedrive) links. Can I save the html file locally in Raspberry and link to it?
No, you need a webserver that can serve the file. Dropbox should work, but you need to ensure that it is being served as a website and not as downloadable file.

danbsfc

Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:07 am

vpetersson wrote:
karhyv wrote:
No, you need a webserver that can serve the file. Dropbox should work, but you need to ensure that it is being served as a website and not as downloadable file.
Trying to achieve the same thing with Dropbox. How do you make it serve as a website and not a file? Is it as simple as adding 'dl=1' at the end of the link? Thanks.

vpetersson

Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:36 am

danbsfc wrote:
vpetersson wrote:
karhyv wrote:
Trying to achieve the same thing with Dropbox. How do you make it serve as a website and not a file? Is it as simple as adding 'dl=1' at the end of the link? Thanks.
Hmm, doesn't seem like that is supported any longer according to this thread:
http://superuser.com/questions/764641/h ... my-dropbox

Cheeto4493

Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:08 pm

I run 4 screens as maps/schedules of classes and also shows weather/calendar at my church. Works great except often I get random lockups. sometimes I can SSH in and reboot, other times it just won't answer.

The maps/schedule part are URL's to Google slides (and I believe this is where the problem is, to much javascript)

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/ ... ayms=10000

The weather/calendar is served from a local computer and is pretty simple display wise.

I have replaced maps/schedule with JPG assets to see if that fixes the issue and may work a one slide slideshow back in to see if the trouble is just with multi slide URL's

Question: Has there been any further work with getting javascript to work better? Hardware is newer PI 2's, which didn't seem much better performance than my older original PI that I originally tested it with.

Cheeto4493

Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:12 pm

feature request (or let me know where to look to add the code)

Is there a way to display the hostname on the "schedule Overview" page? I have each of my Pi's named per their location which works great for SSH, but I have to use IP addresses to remember which sign I'm signed into.

vpetersson

Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:32 am

Cheeto4493 wrote: Has there been any further work with getting javascript to work better? Hardware is newer PI 2's, which didn't seem much better performance than my older original PI that I originally tested it with.
The hardware is only part of the bottleneck. The build of UZBL (the browser used) is using a very old version of Webkit, which also impacts the JavaScript performance and feature set.

We are making some significant progress in regards to this for Screenly Pro v2 (the beta will open up in the near future). It's yet to be decided how this will impact Screenly OSE.

vpetersson

Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:33 am

Cheeto4493 wrote:
feature request (or let me know where to look to add the code)

Is there a way to display the hostname on the "schedule Overview" page? I have each of my Pi's named per their location which works great for SSH, but I have to use IP addresses to remember which sign I'm signed into.
You'd have to patch both `server.py` and then pass that on to the relevant template(s) to accomplish this.

caseyd1020

Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:57 pm

I'm having some trouble recovering from a power flicker. If the pi boots up with the tv off, after you turn the tv on the screen is either black or zoomed way in, ridiculously in. However if you have the television on when it boots up everything is normal. Is there a way to force all my settings to make the pi just work? I'm using this as a display in a distribution center and unfortunately we seem to have power flickers a few times a day lately.

Cheeto4493

Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:06 pm

caseyd1020 wrote:I'm having some trouble recovering from a power flicker. If the pi boots up with the tv off, after you turn the tv on the screen is either black or zoomed way in, ridiculously in. However if you have the television on when it boots up everything is normal. Is there a way to force all my settings to make the pi just work? I'm using this as a display in a distribution center and unfortunately we seem to have power flickers a few times a day lately.
I would say try editing /boot/config.txt
there are some lines there to uncomment to force hdmi mode and size.

I would also suggest adding a battery backup if possible. Sudden shutdowns to the Pi can corrupt the file system on the card.

Return to “Other projects”