dansnell

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:50 pm

I will test with a different SD card and see if that fixes the issue.

Just wondering also if just switching off the TV could cause issues? We have it running in a cafe and they turn off the tv at the end of the day and turn it in the morning to start the system.

Thanks

Daniel

vpetersson

Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:54 pm

dansnell wrote:I'm using the disk image.
If you haven't made any other modifications to the system, I would say that it is most likely hardware related. Try a different SD card (and make sure to only use Class 10 ones).
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

alphawere

Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:04 pm

I am having issues with screenly OSE and it seam that no matter what images i upload ones from the net or that i have created in the gimp all are 1920 by 1080 the only content that shows is the big buck bunny

This is a downloded img from your site

Thanks in advance
AlphaWere

vpetersson

Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:53 pm

alphawere wrote:I am having issues with screenly OSE and it seam that no matter what images i upload ones from the net or that i have created in the gimp all are 1920 by 1080 the only content that shows is the big buck bunny
Make sure that the time of the system is properly set. This is a common issue, since the Raspberry Pi doesn't have any built-in Real-time Clock. (RTC).

Also, double check and make sure that the assets shows up under 'active' .
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),

alphawere

Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:13 pm

I dont know if this has been brought to your attention but but you have a custom domain name server set up in the /etc/resolv.conf I found this out due to the fact I could not get the PI running Screenly OSE to connect to the internet via ping execpt only when I used googles IP address (216.58.210.3) this was the main problem i was having with viewing new content as the Pi was not able to contact with any NTP servers.

May i suggest that you use the google name sever as shown below

nameserver 8.8.8.8

vpetersson

Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:16 am

alphawere wrote:I dont know if this has been brought to your attention but but you have a custom domain name server set up in the /etc/resolv.conf I found this out due to the fact I could not get the PI running Screenly OSE to connect to the internet via ping execpt only when I used googles IP address (216.58.210.3) this was the main problem i was having with viewing new content as the Pi was not able to contact with any NTP servers.

May i suggest that you use the google name sever as shown below

nameserver 8.8.8.8
By default Raspbian (as well as our pre-installed image) uses DHCP. As such, the /etc/resolv.conf is populated by the DHCP data.

alphawere

Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:35 am

Yes but by default the Raspbian image uses googles 8.8.8.8 but yours had an internal 192.168.1.* based ipaddress could you please double check this fact

vpetersson

Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:37 am

alphawere wrote:Yes but by default the Raspbian image uses googles 8.8.8.8 but yours had an internal 192.168.1.* based ipaddress could you please double check this fact
We'll look into it, but it should be overridden on boot by the DHCP server. The only case it wouldn't be overridden would be in case the DHCP server doesn't provide a DHS (and IMHO is then incorrectly configured).

alphawere

Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:29 pm

Something i have just noticed i wanted to crate a screen from a HTML file with iframes of local bus times but when i select webpage from the asset type on the upload page it automaticly redirect me to the Public URL page at the moment i can get by this by leaving it as an image file then correcting it after upload

Thanks AlphaWere

vpetersson

Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:42 pm

alphawere wrote:Something i have just noticed i wanted to crate a screen from a HTML file with iframes of local bus times but when i select webpage from the asset type on the upload page it automaticly redirect me to the Public URL page at the moment i can get by this by leaving it as an image file then correcting it after upload

Thanks AlphaWere
You can't upload a HTML page. You need to serve it via a web server.

alphawere

Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:03 pm

vpetersson wrote:
it seams to me that screenly is saying that it can see screenshot also the work around i mentioned works

vpetersson

Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:48 am

alphawere wrote:
vpetersson wrote:
it seams to me that screenly is saying that it can see screenshot also the work around i mentioned works
I guess that's somewhat of a usability bug. 'Web page' refers to remote pages.

peterA

Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:11 pm

Hi.

Just want to share my experiances on Screenly OSE with you.

I have been running Screenly OSE for over a year on 2 screens as information for the emloyees in 2 different lunchrooms.

A couple of days ago both of them halted, after restart the worked for a couple of hours just to halt again.
The only common between them is that the show webpages from the same server.

The solution was to disable the firewall.

/Peter

marque1968

Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:52 pm

I tried Screenly on a Raspberry Pi 2 B, but the Digital Signage doesn't start. Port 8080 is available and I can add screens (from my notebook), but the Pi just shows me rasberrian with no cursor...

Is it me messing up, or is screenly not happy with the new hardware?

vpetersson

Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:35 pm

marque1968 wrote:I tried Screenly on a Raspberry Pi 2 B, but the Digital Signage doesn't start. Port 8080 is available and I can add screens (from my notebook), but the Pi just shows me rasberrian with no cursor...

Is it me messing up, or is screenly not happy with the new hardware?
We're actually still working on this. The work is a bit behind schedule, but we hope to get there soon. Here's the relevant issue on Github:
https://github.com/wireload/screenly-ose/issues/256

MaxR

Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:48 pm

Hi! Is it possible to manage content locally on Pi? It would help me a lot. Maybe I need to install anything additional?

Thank you!

vpetersson

Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:29 pm

MaxR wrote:Hi! Is it possible to manage content locally on Pi? It would help me a lot. Maybe I need to install anything additional?

Thank you!
If you mean by managing content on the filesystem, this it not supported. You can however manage assets in the web interface.

MaxR

Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:36 am

Thank you for reply!

Now I've got exactly the same issue. Is there any fixes on it?
One of the assets I display is a webpage with form authentication, as a work-around I've plugged a keyboard into the pi and type in the username/password when the session expires (about once every 2 weeks, which is fine). At some point, screenly lost the ability to take a keyboard input (that is to say rasbian detects and uses the keyboard but the browser that screenly uses can not). Was this an enhancement or is there an option to change this?

vpetersson

Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:55 am

Hey guys,

I just wanted to let you know that Screenly OSE (and Pro) now supports the new Rasbperry Pi 2 (B+).

Disk-images and installation instructions can be found here:
http://www.screenlyapp.com/ose.html

danbsfc

Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:57 am

Hi!

May I first begin by saying thank you for creating Screenly! We tried many different solutions but since finding Screenly, we've settled on it and love the way it performs. Also, it doesnt crash! This was an issue we had with other solutions. Screenly appears to be incredibly stable which is incredibly important.

One question, if I try to add a link to our website as an asset, it replies with

Server Error: Could not retrieve file. Check the asset URL.

Is this because our pages are .PHP and not .HTML?

I could always convert to HTML and upload to a different directory but using the native page would be ideal.

Thanks in advance!

Dan

vpetersson

Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:39 am

danbsfc wrote:Hi!
Thanks for the kind words, Dan.

In terms of PHP and HTML files -- neither is supported. Screenly can display HTML assets, but not serve them. You will need to host them on an external webserver and point Screenly to the IP/URL.

danbsfc

Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:30 pm

vpetersson wrote:
danbsfc wrote:Hi!
Thanks for the kind words, Dan.

In terms of PHP and HTML files -- neither is supported. Screenly can display HTML assets, but not serve them. You will need to host them on an external webserver and point Screenly to the IP/URL.
Sorry. Basically, I have tried adding our website via the add asset as a url but each time it throws an error. If i try adding http://www.google.co.uk, it works as does http://www.bbc.co.uk for example.

If i were to save the webpage as a html file instead of a php and re-upload to our web hosting, would this fix it?

Thanks

EDIT: Even after uploading a HTML file to our webserver and pointing Screenly to it, I still get the error message "server error could not retrieve file. check the asset url"

vpetersson

Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:44 pm

danbsfc wrote: If i were to save the webpage as a html file instead of a php and re-upload to our web hosting, would this fix it?
Yeah, that's unlikely to fix it.

This is most likely some strange header issue. We've seen that a few times in the past where websites will send the wrong header.

Can you post the output of:

Code: Select all

curl -I http://[your url]

danbsfc

Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:45 pm

vpetersson wrote:
danbsfc wrote: If i were to save the webpage as a html file instead of a php and re-upload to our web hosting, would this fix it?
Yeah, that's unlikely to fix it.

This is most likely some strange header issue. We've seen that a few times in the past where websites will send the wrong header.

Can you post the output of:

curl -I http://[your url]
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 15:45:10 GMT
Server: Apache
X-Powered-By: PHP/5.4.23
Cache-Control: max-age=172800
Expires: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 15:45:10 GMT
Connection: keep-alive
Content-Type: text/html

vpetersson

Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:54 pm

danbsfc wrote: HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 15:45:10 GMT
Server: Apache
X-Powered-By: PHP/5.4.23
Cache-Control: max-age=172800
Expires: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 15:45:10 GMT
Connection: keep-alive
Content-Type: text/html
Hmm, that looks reasonable.

Try this (on the pi):

python -c 'import requests; x = requests.head("http://google.com"); print x.status_code'
Replace "http://google.com" with your URL.

Return to “Other projects”