dmelladom

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Fri May 16, 2014 8:25 am

Hello!
First of all, let me thank you for this OSC edition. I have been working with mapping installations for a long time and having terrible problems with media player and it is not alwayls possible to go to expensive devices such as brightsign.
I am having a strange problem when re-booting: all that appears is a three-color pattern (mixed red-green-blue colors).
Do you have any suggestions?

Also, in another device, I have a kind of white splash just before each loop -or just after, I can't tell exactly when it happens. Is there any way to get raid of that?

Best,
Diego

dmelladom

Fri May 16, 2014 3:47 pm

Sorry for making questions already solved :)
The white flickering is solved in the last xloader in GitHub.
About the color pattern, I can't find the solution but feels like the raspberry pi I am using is broken :(
Any suggestion will be really appreciated.
Best,
Diego

DirkS

Fri May 16, 2014 4:01 pm

About the color pattern, I can't find the solution but feels like the raspberry pi I am using is broken
If it comes up straight after starting your pi then it's probably what is generally known as the 'rainbow' screen.
IIRC this means that the file kernel.img (located on the boot partition of your SD card) cannot be read.

See e.g. http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... ash_screen or search for 'rainbow' here on the forum.

HTH
Dirk.

vpetersson

Fri May 16, 2014 4:04 pm

@Dirk Good pointers and resource.

@Diego I've seen the rainbow screen on a few devices myself. You usually see it for a second or two when you plug in the power. If it is beyond that, it is likely an issue and Dirk's resources are likely to help you.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

dmelladom

Fri May 16, 2014 6:25 pm

Thanks a lot on the answers! As soon as I check them, I will get back a leave an answer.
Thanks a lot!

Cthu

Wed May 21, 2014 2:48 pm

Hi all,
Thanks to Viktor for your great job, it works nice, the only problem i can't solve, is for the validation of the assets.
Even if my Pi is connected to internet (ports http & https only trough firewall) the validation doesn't work.

I.e. my asset is created, but if i put it "ON", it stay as inactive.

If i put the PI on a full access internet (all ports open) the asset validate correctly. I think a connection to your servers is required to initialise this. And as I see, after few days, the same problem occurs, I need made a new "full" connexion.

Can you give me the address and the port used? For configure in my firewall.

Thanks

dmelladom

Thu May 22, 2014 11:27 am

dmelladom wrote:Thanks a lot on the answers! As soon as I check them, I will get back a leave an answer.
Thanks a lot!
This totally solved it:

In some cases (Stuck on the Rainbow Screen), freezing at this point has been fixed by adding "boot_delay=1" to the config.txt file. This can be done from a Windows PC, which should show several files in the FAT partition on your SD card including bootcode.bin, kernel.img, and config.txt. You can open config.txt in wordpad or any text editor. Add "boot_delay=1" and save the file. Don't forget to 'eject' the card before removing it from the reader. If you are reading the SD card from a working Pi, you can edit the file with sudo nano /boot/config.txt

Thanks a lot!
Diego

prodarwin

Thu May 22, 2014 3:48 pm

How can I modify the splash screen that screenly displays on boot? Right now mine just displays
Unable to find 0.0.0.0:8080/splash_page
or something to that effect.

vpetersson

Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:11 pm

prodarwin wrote:How can I modify the splash screen that screenly displays on boot? Right now mine just displays
Unable to find 0.0.0.0:8080/splash_page
or something to that effect.
This is a known bug that was resolved some time ago. Please upgrade and it should go away (instructions can be found here: http://www.screenlyapp.com/ose.html).
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),

emcquaid

Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:49 pm

When I click ON to activate an Asset, it stays inactive... Some assets do start to show up on the screen, others never appear...

any thoughts?

DKVideoClips

Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:47 am

Just set up a Screenly OSE Configuration for my Church. They love it! Been there a week and everyone is thrilled.

Put together a long (30 minutes!) video of my install on Youtube. Hopefully it will convince those who haven't done it - that it is fairly easy.

Probably boring - my apologies - still learning how to do video.

Thanks for such an awesome product!

Here is the video at youtube: http://youtu.be/L7spUFtFznM

vpetersson

Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:54 am

DKVideoClips wrote:Just set up a Screenly OSE Configuration for my Church. They love it! Been there a week and everyone is thrilled.

Put together a long (30 minutes!) video of my install on Youtube. Hopefully it will convince those who haven't done it - that it is fairly easy.

Probably boring - my apologies - still learning how to do video.

Thanks for such an awesome product!

Here is the video at youtube: http://youtu.be/L7spUFtFznM
That's great. Thank you!

Cthu

Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:21 am

Cthu wrote:Hi all,
Thanks to Viktor for your great job, it works nice, the only problem i can't solve, is for the validation of the assets.
Even if my Pi is connected to internet (ports http & https only trough firewall) the validation doesn't work.

I.e. my asset is created, but if i put it "ON", it stay as inactive.

If i put the PI on a full access internet (all ports open) the asset validate correctly. I think a connection to your servers is required to initialise this. And as I see, after few days, the same problem occurs, I need made a new "full" connexion.

Can you give me the address and the port used? For configure in my firewall.

Thanks
Finally is so simple... The problem is the time of the screenly. The assets was configured with the actual date/time. But the Pi still in 2013... ;) I must just define an correct ntp server.

Thanks for this great product ;)

motoxrdr21

Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:43 pm

vpetersson,

I'm wrapping up setting up a multi-Pi Screenly setup distributed over RF at work, and let me first say great job, everyone loves it and it was really easy to train people on setting up assets. I only have two issues I've run in to:

1) I can't seem to get Screenly to output 1920x1080, system info displays 1280x720, I've plugged it into our HD modulator that supports 1080 and a TV that supports 1080, and in both cases it displayed 720. Is this just another limitation of OSE? If things go the way I think they will we'll be upgrading to Pro by the end of the year, but right now I'm running everything on OSE for testing.
2) Overscan seems a little wonky with webpages, I'm looping a webpage, and a 720 sample video now and with overscan on the webpage is surrounded with black bars, with overscan off, the webpage gets the edges cut off, the video displays fine regardless of the overscan setting.

And just another suggestion, a forum on screenlyapp.com would be fantastic!
**EDIT**
I was able to resolve issue #2 by manually specifying overscan settings.

vpetersson

Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:48 pm

motoxrdr21 wrote: 1) I can't seem to get Screenly to output 1920x1080, system info displays 1280x720, I've plugged it into our HD modulator that supports 1080 and a TV that supports 1080, and in both cases it displayed 720. Is this just another limitation of OSE? If things go the way I think they will we'll be upgrading to Pro by the end of the year, but right now I'm running everything on OSE for testing.
No, there is no limitation in OSE that prevents it from running in 1080. I'd recommend taking a closer look at config.txt to see if you can force the device to use 1080. If you're using some kind of modulator, it's likely that the auto-probing will fail.
Last edited by vpetersson on Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

motoxrdr21

Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:21 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, I was able to fix it using the config.txt file, for anyone else who may run into the issue, I tried setting the framebuffer width and height to 1920x1080 since it was the most obvious choice, but that had no effect. So I did some research and found a list of the HDMI Mode options here http://elinux.org/RPiconfig I uncommented HDMI_mode and set it to 5 (which is 1080i 60hz) and Screenly displays at 1080 now.

Thanks!

shild

Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:50 pm

Hi,

first of all i have to say sorry for my english. I'm a german guy.

I'm still using screenly on a pi. Unfortunately screenly has to load a website that has different language-files for visitors from different countrys. It would be nice if screenly doesn't tell the website "hi, i'm english" so the website uses the english translation of it. Is it possible to change the location screenly gives out to websites to german f.e.?

Next Question: Is there a chance to increase the size of the letters if screenly loads a website?
I really hope someone understands my bad english ;)

Shild

vpetersson

Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:56 am

shild wrote: Is it possible to change the location screenly gives out to websites to german f.e.?
This is not a setting in Screenly, but rather a system-wide setting. Honestly, I don't know, but you could try changing the locale to see if that helps.
shild wrote: Next Question: Is there a chance to increase the size of the letters if screenly loads a website?
No, not really. It's displayed in the default font-size as specified by the website. As a result, the easiest solution is to bump it up in the website.

motoxrdr21

Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:21 pm

vpetersson wrote: No, there is no limitation in OSE that prevents it from running in 1080. I'd recommend taking a closer look at config.txt to see if you can force the device to use 1080. If you're using some kind of modulator, it's likely that the auto-probing will fail.
I'm actually having an issue with videos being displayed properly now, I hadn't noticed it before but the top maybe 30-40px is being cut off of videos, and the video player seems to be unaffected by overscan settings in config.txt, I turned the overscan-top all the way up to +150 which creates a huge black bar for webpages and during initial boot, but make absolutely no difference on videos. Video resolution is 1280x720 and the Pi is at 1920x1080, I changed the HDMI mode again so the Pi's resolution matches the video and that didn't make a difference. I have confirmed that the modulator isn't the issue by plugging the Pi right into a TV via HDMI, and that the TV is set to a 16:9 aspect ratio and not zoom or auto, so it's not being cut off locally by the TV.

Is there a way to adjust the margins for video since the overscan don't affect it?

Thanks,
Steve

vpetersson

Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:44 pm

[quote="motoxrdr21"
I'm actually having an issue with videos being displayed properly now, I hadn't noticed it before but the top maybe 30-40px is being cut off of videos, and the video player seems to be unaffected by overscan settings in config.txt, I turned the overscan-top all the way up to +150 which creates a huge black bar for webpages and during initial boot, but make absolutely no difference on videos. Video resolution is 1280x720 and the Pi is at 1920x1080, I changed the HDMI mode again so the Pi's resolution matches the video and that didn't make a difference. I have confirmed that the modulator isn't the issue by plugging the Pi right into a TV via HDMI, and that the TV is set to a 16:9 aspect ratio and not zoom or auto, so it's not being cut off locally by the TV.

Is there a way to adjust the margins for video since the overscan don't affect it?

Thanks,
Steve[/quote]

I must say that I have not seen that myself actually. My guess is that it is something related to the hardware/firmware. What I would recommend is that you do an upgrade on both Screenly *and* the the system to see if that resolves it:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y upgrade
~/screenly/misc/run_upgrade.sh

motoxrdr21

Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:19 pm

vpetersson wrote: I must say that I have not seen that myself actually. My guess is that it is something related to the hardware/firmware. What I would recommend is that you do an upgrade on both Screenly *and* the the system to see if that resolves it:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y upgrade
~/screenly/misc/run_upgrade.sh
I ran through the system update which upgraded 61 packages, and even though I was running the latest version of screenly I ran the screenly upgrade script for good measure, then rebooted, and we still have the same issue. I re-adjusted the overscan so it is broken again and creates bars at the top/bottom then took a 10s video of Screenly playing the end of the video file and transitioning to a webpage, and did a screencap of the same part of the video playing on a PC so you can see what is being cut off. Both files are here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... =drive_web

I also verified both of our Pis that are running screenly are doing it.

vpetersson

Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:24 pm

motoxrdr21 wrote: I ran through the system update which upgraded 61 packages, and even though I was running the latest version of screenly I ran the screenly upgrade script for good measure, then rebooted, and we still have the same issue. I re-adjusted the overscan so it is broken again and creates bars at the top/bottom then took a 10s video of Screenly playing the end of the video file and transitioning to a webpage, and did a screencap of the same part of the video playing on a PC so you can see what is being cut off. Both files are here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... =drive_web

I also verified both of our Pis that are running screenly are doing it.
I unfortunately don't have much more insight here.

I would recommend the following:
* Try a regular Raspbian installation
* Run a video with Omxplayer

My guess is that you'd get the same behavior. Then post a bug on report on:
https://github.com/huceke/omxplayer/

cyanarnofsky

Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:25 pm

Possible to limit viewer.log? Getting rather big, would like to make it stick below a meg. Thanks!

vpetersson

Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:28 pm

cyanarnofsky wrote:Possible to limit viewer.log? Getting rather big, would like to make it stick below a meg. Thanks!
The easiest way is probably to simply install logrotate or something similar. We don't have any built-in support for that.

cyanarnofsky

Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:29 pm

Thanks! Actually going to move everything I can to RAM now and that allows me to limit size. Looking to stabilize the systems a bit, any tricks you guys have found that your willing to share? :)

Return to “Other projects”