farmazon3000

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:18 am

vpetersson wrote:
farmazon3000 wrote: I've been testing screenly pro which is I believe paid
In that case, please open a support ticket.
Hm, I've created 3 tickets on monday but no response nor any feedback that ticket was even received, weak.

atmosx

Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:10 am

Hello,

What is the best policy for Pi's running screenly regarding updates? I mean, do you run often

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get upgrade
or no?

I know the good policy should be, performing the updates on a local box first and then proceeding to production, but in my case that's impossible. So I'd like to know if any upgrades broke anything so far.

best regards,

atmosx

ticrandall

Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:35 pm

Anyway to have Screenly display podcasts? Either by downloading them/streaming them, or using a podcast app on the pi to download them into a directory Screenly uses?

jeremyczu

Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:56 pm

ticrandall wrote:Anyway to have Screenly display podcasts? Either by downloading them/streaming them, or using a podcast app on the pi to download them into a directory Screenly uses?
If you are able to download the podcast and it is in a supported format, this is pretty straightforward. It should be no different than uploading a video. Download the podcast locally to a workstation, and upload the podcast to your pi with Screenly and you should be ready to go. It's not going to fetch podcasts automatically, but it is certainly doable.

ticrandall

Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:09 pm

I suppose I should have specified more.. I'm trying to create something for my brother who owns a detail shop. There will be a handful of promotional videos, and I want to show current news/weather video.. only way I have thought of to do that is through podcast.. which has been challenging as there don't appear to be any weather video podcats.. So, somehow it would have to update every day/few hours with a new podcast video. Im not thinking of a way for this to happen without my input everyday..

jeremyczu

Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:00 pm

ticrandall wrote:I suppose I should have specified more.. I'm trying to create something for my brother who owns a detail shop. There will be a handful of promotional videos, and I want to show current news/weather video.. only way I have thought of to do that is through podcast.. which has been challenging as there don't appear to be any weather video podcats.. So, somehow it would have to update every day/few hours with a new podcast video. Im not thinking of a way for this to happen without my input everyday..
I have used the weather underground Full Screen page in testing. It seems to be an OK option. Certainly not video and audio, but you can at least get weather and have it full screen. http://www.wunderground.com/auto/wxmap/ As for news, I haven't really found anything I like. To be honest, I'm not a fan of using digital signage for news/weather. If you truly want news/weather, I think you are better off just having a TV on the Weather channel or CNN. I remember a few solutions that would cycle between TV and signage content, but most people just got frustrated by the system switching away from the TV. I would strongly encourage you to use only your own content and invest the time in keeping that content fresh.

atmosx

Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:11 pm

jeremyczu wrote:
ticrandall wrote:I suppose I should have specified more.. I'm trying to create something for my brother who owns a detail shop. There will be a handful of promotional videos, and I want to show current news/weather video.. only way I have thought of to do that is through podcast.. which has been challenging as there don't appear to be any weather video podcats.. So, somehow it would have to update every day/few hours with a new podcast video. Im not thinking of a way for this to happen without my input everyday..
I have used the weather underground Full Screen page in testing. It seems to be an OK option. Certainly not video and audio, but you can at least get weather and have it full screen. http://www.wunderground.com/auto/wxmap/ As for news, I haven't really found anything I like. To be honest, I'm not a fan of using digital signage for news/weather. If you truly want news/weather, I think you are better off just having a TV on the Weather channel or CNN. I remember a few solutions that would cycle between TV and signage content, but most people just got frustrated by the system switching away from the TV. I would strongly encourage you to use only your own content and invest the time in keeping that content fresh.
Actually, the problem with weather is UZBL not supporting javascript. Otherwise you could create awesome visual experience, using forecast.io API.

jeremyczu

Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:32 pm

atmosx wrote:
jeremyczu wrote:
I have used the weather underground Full Screen page in testing. It seems to be an OK option. Certainly not video and audio, but you can at least get weather and have it full screen. http://www.wunderground.com/auto/wxmap/ As for news, I haven't really found anything I like. To be honest, I'm not a fan of using digital signage for news/weather. If you truly want news/weather, I think you are better off just having a TV on the Weather channel or CNN. I remember a few solutions that would cycle between TV and signage content, but most people just got frustrated by the system switching away from the TV. I would strongly encourage you to use only your own content and invest the time in keeping that content fresh.[/quote

Actually, the problem with weather is UZBL not supporting javascript. Otherwise you could create awesome visual experience, using forecast.io API.
] I'm sure cool things are possible. I just don't like to have them along with advertising content. In my experience, the viewers start to resent the content and would rather just have weather/news. If you keep them separate, people tend to have a better reaction to your content. Every situation is different though, so do what you feel works best for you.

ticrandall

Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:40 pm

Certainly interesting.. I am setting this up for my brother, and I don't know if i can convince him to change it everyday on his own.. He wanted more of a plug and play set up.. I am certainly not going remember to update content everyday for him, nor do I want to.. He's just not paying enough!

The weatherunderground full screen page is interesting, its a good start.. Do you think there is a way to set it to the radar page automatically?

jeremyczu

Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:16 pm

ticrandall wrote:Certainly interesting.. I am setting this up for my brother, and I don't know if i can convince him to change it everyday on his own.. He wanted more of a plug and play set up.. I am certainly not going remember to update content everyday for him, nor do I want to.. He's just not paying enough!

The weatherunderground full screen page is interesting, its a good start.. Do you think there is a way to set it to the radar page automatically?
Sure, just go to the link, click on the radar button, and then copy the URL from your browser. That should do it.

As for the content part, content really is king on this kind of stuff. If you create a lot of good items to start with, that's great. Daily updates are excessive in most cases. The problems happen when your content is so old that it no longer has accurate prices or the business logo has changed. As long as things are tasteful and timely, digital signage is a great thing.

ticrandall

Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:21 pm

jeremyczu wrote:
ticrandall wrote:Certainly interesting.. I am setting this up for my brother, and I don't know if i can convince him to change it everyday on his own.. He wanted more of a plug and play set up.. I am certainly not going remember to update content everyday for him, nor do I want to.. He's just not paying enough!

Sure, just go to the link, click on the radar button, and then copy the URL from your browser. That should do it.

As for the content part, content really is king on this kind of stuff. If you create a lot of good items to start with, that's great. Daily updates are excessive in most cases. The problems happen when your content is so old that it no longer has accurate prices or the business logo has changed. As long as things are tasteful and timely, digital signage is a great thing.

Yeah, I tried that.. the link does not change.. I did find a few other radar sites that will work for now until I find out something better.

Question.. I have gotten mashpodder to work, on another setup I am trying, to download podcasts.. would there be a way for screenly to automatically pick them up and add them to the playlist? I'm using pro right now, but I'm just thinking out loud here, if I just set the download folder to the screeny video folder that might do the trick? What do you think..

Mesomorf

Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:48 pm

Can I:
Insert usb-stick and share that on a standard Windows network.
Then use that to as storage when saving html-files that is converted from ordinary Word / Excel files.

In screenly add URL to that .html file

..possible or not?

cbriggs

Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:16 pm

Really enjoying my experiments with Screenly OSE so thanks for all the hard work!

Just a note in response to questions about HDMI audio not working properly (which is what I was looking for when I stumbled across this thread). You need to change the HDMI drive to 2, here are the steps I followed to solve the issue on my TV:

a. Log-in as a normal user (debian image: pi)
b. Type the command: "sudo nano /boot/config.txt "
c. Press enter
d. Type in: "hdmi_drive=2 " [exactly as it is here]
e. Then press crtl + o
f. Press Enter
g. then press crtl + x
4. Restart using the command: " sudo shutdown -r now "

That gets the Raspberry Pi to register the TV as a HDMI device. You now have sound!

joefly

Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:46 am

First thank you for all the hard work towards something that was sorely missing for the Pi given how active this thread. Big thank you. I got it up and running within minutes after imaging the SD card

My question is embedding live google stock charts and numbers and RSS news feeds in a web page then serving the web page locally.

Here is a write up on how to create the HTML page
http://www.developerdrive.com/2012/03/a ... r-website/

I am not savvy enough to understand if this would work on Screenly. Can I create such a page save it to the Pi and add it as an asset web page and have it dynamically feed updated info?

joefly

Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:33 pm

just to follow up my previous question in a more direct method.

Can I use a local html file for a web page asset. If so, how do I point to "test.html" sitting on my desktop folder?

Thanks

jeremyczu

Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:28 pm

joefly wrote:just to follow up my previous question in a more direct method.

Can I use a local html file for a web page asset. If so, how do I point to "test.html" sitting on my desktop folder?

Thanks
So let me get this straight, you want to host a webpage on the Raspberry Pi, run Screenly, and also access the webpage using Screenly all on the same Raspberry Pi? I've never tried it, but I wouldn't suggest it. The hardware isn't all that powerful. If you can host the page anywhere else on a local network, you should get better performance.

joefly

Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:41 pm

jeremyczu wrote:

Thanks
So let me get this straight, you want to host a webpage on the Raspberry Pi, run Screenly, and also access the webpage using Screenly all on the same Raspberry Pi? I've never tried it, but I wouldn't suggest it. The hardware isn't all that powerful. If you can host the page anywhere else on a local network, you should get better performance.
Actually not running a web server. Just accessing the test.html with a local directory address. Such as ~/pi/test.html

Mesomorf

Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:43 am

joefly wrote:
jeremyczu wrote:

Thanks
Actually not running a web server. Just accessing the test.html with a local directory address. Such as ~/pi/test.html
Same here.. waiting for an answer (posted same question a few post up)

martyn

Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:47 pm

Hi,

Just want to add my thanks for writing this software.

I realise you have already commented on stability with WiFi but is there any chance you can offer a hack that will allow us to use this method?

I can get the WiFi dongle to run and have been able to access the Screenly OSE webpage (that is, 192.168.2.x:8080) in order to add and modify assets etc, but it will not pick up URL assets using the WiFi interface.

Please please please consider this as an improvement. In my opinion even limited WiFi (for those who have unstable connections) might be preferable to not being able to use this software at all due to network cables being an issue.

(I am planning on using this as an info board at our not-for-profit rugby club in the UK).

Best regards,

Martyn

vpetersson

Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:51 am

atmosx wrote:Hello,

What is the best policy for Pi's running screenly regarding updates? I mean, do you run often

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get upgrade
or no?

I know the good policy should be, performing the updates on a local box first and then proceeding to production, but in my case that's impossible. So I'd like to know if any upgrades broke anything so far.

best regards,

atmosx
So for Screenly's disk images, we do a complete `apt-get upgrade` in every new build. We of course test these builds before we ship them out.

Generally speaking, we have not run into any major issues by doing this. Things have been pretty stable so far.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

vpetersson

Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:53 am

Mesomorf wrote:
joefly wrote:
jeremyczu wrote: So let me get this straight, you want to host a webpage on the Raspberry Pi, run Screenly, and also access the webpage using Screenly all on the same Raspberry Pi? I've never tried it, but I wouldn't suggest it. The hardware isn't all that powerful. If you can host the page anywhere else on a local network, you should get better performance.
Same here.. waiting for an answer (posted same question a few post up)
No, you cannot upload a HTML file in Screenly. You need to point Screenly to a URL where the page is being served.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),

vpetersson

Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:57 am

joefly wrote:First thank you for all the hard work towards something that was sorely missing for the Pi given how active this thread. Big thank you. I got it up and running within minutes after imaging the SD card

My question is embedding live google stock charts and numbers and RSS news feeds in a web page then serving the web page locally.

Here is a write up on how to create the HTML page
http://www.developerdrive.com/2012/03/a ... r-website/

I am not savvy enough to understand if this would work on Screenly. Can I create such a page save it to the Pi and add it as an asset web page and have it dynamically feed updated info?
Sure, you can display an RSS-feed, assuming that you wrap it inside an HTML page. You cannot however point Screenly directly to an RSS-feed at the moment.

This does however require that you host the page yourself. You cannot upload the file directly to Screenly.

vpetersson

Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:59 am

Mesomorf wrote:Can I:
Insert usb-stick and share that on a standard Windows network.
Then use that to as storage when saving html-files that is converted from ordinary Word / Excel files.

In screenly add URL to that .html file

..possible or not?
No, you cannot do that. However a far easier solution is to simply save these HTML files into something like Dropbox's public folder, copy the URL, and use them in Screenly. If you have some web hosting service, you can of course use this as well, but you cannot upload the HTML files directly into Screenly.

vpetersson

Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:01 am

farmazon3000 wrote:
vpetersson wrote:
farmazon3000 wrote: I've been testing screenly pro which is I believe paid
In that case, please open a support ticket.
Hm, I've created 3 tickets on monday but no response nor any feedback that ticket was even received, weak.
We don't have any support tickets in the back-log at the moment. Sorry if there was a bit of delay.

We're a pretty lean team, and sometimes we cannot keep up, but we are trying to process them as fast as possible.

QBall1977

Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:13 am

Dear All,

Am very impressed with this, much easier to use than PiPresents. However I foolishly installed this on my standard setup (I'll install on it's own memory card later!) the question I have is I've managed to disable most of the settings (which has been a fun learning experience!) However whenever I run an app in X it loads up fullscreen without any minimise, maximise, close buttons (not windowed, fullscreen) can anyone point me in the right direction of how to turn this feature off? (So I get them back?)

Thanks in advance. :geek:

Return to “Other projects”