vpetersson

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:04 pm

jeremyczu wrote:The memory card suggestion makes sense, however, I have seen this on multiple memory cards. I'll try a couple others to make sure and post the results. Thanks!
You may want to try a different card reader too. Perhaps the issue is there.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

jeremyczu

Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:52 pm

vpetersson wrote:
jeremyczu wrote:The memory card suggestion makes sense, however, I have seen this on multiple memory cards. I'll try a couple others to make sure and post the results. Thanks!
You may want to try a different card reader too. Perhaps the issue is there.
I had the same issue again. I used a different card reader and a different card, but the screen is black and the the machine will still respond. The only things that I can think of that are unique to my setup are an internal website being shown and the display. Does Javascript on websites cause any issues with Screenly? Would a PC monitor with HDMI inputs create issues that a TV with HDMI inputs would not?

jeremyczu

Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:02 pm

I was able to run successfully throughout the night last night. The change I made was removing the custom internal webpage that we have for shipping information. The page is built using Javascript to retrieve information for our shipping department. Are there any known issues with Javascript that cause errors like this? The page is relatively important for us, so it can't just go away, but I am thinking a cron job to restart may be the best solution. Thanks!

emmebi

Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:11 am

emmebi wrote:
Signs wrote:I have been looking over post for digital signage using the Raspberry Pi. I have even offered a bounty to someone that can build one.
The best one that I have found is located at: http://www.binaryemotions.com/instant-w ... pberry-pi/

It still needs some work, so I am hoping that you may want to put your head together with the owner of the website that host the website of the kiosk. You will see that he is very close, if not there.
There are a few problems still, however. One is with the flash content and the time it loads the video.
The biggest problem is that it does not launch the browser in full screen (F11)
Instant WebKiosk for Raspberry Pi 2.0 is out!
Now fully dedicated to digital signage (overclocked to 900Mhz).

Home page: http://www.binaryemotions.com/instant-webkiosk
Direct download http://sourceforge.net/projects/iwk-rpi/
The old project is no more since a while.
Please refer to Raspberry digital signage: http://www.binaryemotions.com/raspberry ... l-signage/, https://sourceforge.net/projects/raspberrysign

chadronitv

Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:10 pm

Screenly OSE is a great open source signage application....THANK YOU. I have been experimenting with it and testing the capabilities of the integrated web browser. I would like to know if there is anyway to allow for some sort of basic audio streaming playback within the Screenly OSE browser. We have a website that we use scrolling text and would like the ability to play our streaming audio station in the background while Screenly displays this particular page. We experimented with several different methods and could not get the playback to come through the browser. Is this possible, and if so is there any specific information I can provide our web programming folks to create a compatible stream?

shooterm

Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:14 pm

Love Screenly OSE.
I'm an absolute linux noob, how the heck do I install a github branch? I'm interested in Axel-B' auth branch.
Thanks in advance,
Sarah.

raind33r

Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:38 am

Hi!
I can't exit the Big Buck Bunny video.
Ctl +Alt+1 exits momentarily, then video starts again.

How can I exit?

vpetersson

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:42 pm

raind33r wrote:Hi!

How can I exit?
You need to surf into the web interface and disable it. The reason is simply that the video player (omxplayer) talks directly to the frame buffer, hence it will display on top of what you have on the screen.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),

raind33r

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:56 pm

vpetersson wrote:

How can I exit?
You need to surf into the web interface and disable it. The reason is simply that the video player (omxplayer) talks directly to the frame buffer, hence it will display on top of what you have on the screen.
How?
If I can't get to the console I can't give it an ip address.
Or is there a default address that comes with the image?

Detailed steps please, if you don't mind.

vpetersson

Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:33 pm

raind33r wrote:
vpetersson wrote:

How can I exit?
How?
If I can't get to the console I can't give it an ip address.
Or is there a default address that comes with the image?

Detailed steps please, if you don't mind.

The IP address is displayed on the on first boot on the screen before the playlist starts.

That's how you mange the node. You don't really need to use the tty or SSH to operate Screenly.

JKnight

Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:56 am

I get 2 seconds of black screen between Assets - I've mostly tested with JPGS. Is there a way I can fix this? change transition types?

Thanks for ScreenlyOSE, it's a great program

raind33r

Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:14 am

vpetersson wrote:
vpetersson wrote:

How can I exit?

The IP address is displayed on the on first boot on the screen before the playlist starts.

That's how you mange the node. You don't really need to use the tty or SSH to operate Screenly.
Ok my bad. I missed an important step :o
"A network connection (with DHCP)."

So of course there was no IP displayed on first boot on the white screen.

Just keep in mind that most people won't have dhcp set up, rather a static address.

Maybe a default static address could be incorporated into the image, rather than DHCP ? Or maybe even a script that offers a choice between static or dhcp :idea:

vpetersson

Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:24 pm

raind33r wrote: Maybe a default static address could be incorporated into the image, rather than DHCP ? Or maybe even a script that offers a choice between static or dhcp :idea:
I'd say that the vast majority of all networks today use DHCP. As a result it makes sense to use that as the default setting. While it would be possible to have some kind of wizard, it is a bit overkill right now. If someone can write a good tool for that, we could include it.

That said, configuring the network interface for static IP isn't really that difficult. The process is the same for both Ubuntu, Debian and Rasbian (http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration).

atmosx

Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:42 am

PicLocata wrote:
jeremyczu wrote:Ok, so I had the same issue happen again - screen was black the next morning. After looking at the log file, the log started at 13:26 and ended at 19:45 on Wed, May 2013. The log simply shows "Showing asset XXXXXX up until the last entry. I rotated between a PNG, the screenly logo, an internal company webpage, and an mp4 video. Nothing in the log looks suspicious. The machine didn't freeze, but playback has stopped.
It might be worth checking the memory card. I ran Screenly in a shop window successfully for three months before getting similar problems (screen freezes, blank screens, and watchdog restarts). I removed the memory card to search the log files more conveniently and my desktop system reported intermittent errors reading the card. I replaced the card and the system has now run for another three months.

I couldn't find any error log reporting a card I/O error, and of course replacing the card re-initialised everything. So I can't be certain it was the card, but at the moment that seems the most likely cause.

What card are you using? Please share Company/Class/GB. There may be some that underperform while others work okay. We need to make a list of possible reasons causing halt.

jeremyczu

Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:01 pm

atmosx wrote:
PicLocata wrote:
jeremyczu wrote:Ok, so I had the same issue happen again - screen was black the next morning. After looking at the log file, the log started at 13:26 and ended at 19:45 on Wed, May 2013. The log simply shows "Showing asset XXXXXX up until the last entry. I rotated between a PNG, the screenly logo, an internal company webpage, and an mp4 video. Nothing in the log looks suspicious. The machine didn't freeze, but playback has stopped.
It might be worth checking the memory card. I ran Screenly in a shop window successfully for three months before getting similar problems (screen freezes, blank screens, and watchdog restarts). I removed the memory card to search the log files more conveniently and my desktop system reported intermittent errors reading the card. I replaced the card and the system has now run for another three months.

I couldn't find any error log reporting a card I/O error, and of course replacing the card re-initialised everything. So I can't be certain it was the card, but at the moment that seems the most likely cause.

What card are you using? Please share Company/Class/GB. There may be some that underperform while others work okay. We need to make a list of possible reasons causing halt.
It wasn't the memory card. I had a company developed webpage that used a lot of javascript that was causing the crashes. Since I had read that Javascript could be problematic, I tested with Google.com and actually had similar results. I turned off all webpages and was rock solid for about a week before I considered it to be solved. Unfortunately, I just haven't had good results when displaying webpages. I was able to set up cron jobs every 6 hours to force a reboot and keep the system running, but I don't like that solution very much.
In case you are curious, the card is a PNY (Polaroid Branded) 16GB class 10 card. I've also tested with an Amazon Basics 4GB (no idea what class) and a Transcend 16GB class 10.

Severian

Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:35 am

Howdy,
I installed Screenly last night and it looks quite interesting. I plan to show it to my local Unix Users Group. I'd like to have a large video file to demo with. After several attempt to upload the asset failed, I just used scp to copy the file to the machine. But, I have not figured out how to add that as an asset. I tried the classic file:///home.pi/file.mkv and without the file://. Are there any other suggestions? I am not surprised the upload fails, because that is a problem lots of sites that use javascript have.

For the future, is the project receptive to merge requests if I make a few changes. Or, should I just plan on keeping those to myself?

However this experiment come out, finding omxplayer have been a plus for another project I have in the works. Reliable video playback is no longer just something I have heard rumors about. I have seen it.
Have a good day

atmosx

Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:05 am

Severian wrote:Howdy,
I installed Screenly last night and it looks quite interesting. I plan to show it to my local Unix Users Group. I'd like to have a large video file to demo with. After several attempt to upload the asset failed, I just used scp to copy the file to the machine. But, I have not figured out how to add that as an asset. I tried the classic file:///home.pi/file.mkv and without the file://. Are there any other suggestions? I am not surprised the upload fails, because that is a problem lots of sites that use javascript have.

For the future, is the project receptive to merge requests if I make a few changes. Or, should I just plan on keeping those to myself?

However this experiment come out, finding omxplayer have been a plus for another project I have in the works. Reliable video playback is no longer just something I have heard rumors about. I have seen it.
Have a good day

Hello,

The source code is in python and available on github. Screeny uses omxplayer, which supports only m4v (mp4 format). So try converting your file using ffmpeg (or any other tool) and give it a go. Also it's better to use streaming (https won't cut it, you need plain http with omxplayer) instead of file upload, if the file is big enough.

Best regards,

jphphotography

Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:36 am

I noticed a few posts back someone asked about password protecting the web interface but has yet to get a response. Anyone able to do this yet? Everything else about Screenly OSE is exactly what I need but that's a huge security gap, it's really open to anyone on the network. At first I figured the webserver portion would be something standard like apache, lighttpd etc and I could just modify the .htaccess file but when I run netstat it just lists python on 8080 so I guess they're program is serving directly. If my assumption is correct it would mean having to directly modify one of the .py files which is exceeding my current abilities.

I'm sure this is a feature that just about anyone using it would want, any chances the original author or some python guru could implement it?

atmosx

Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:01 pm

I don't write code in python, but this application seems very similar to ruby's Sinatra, so it's pretty damn easy to add authentication (plaintext or sha1-ed). However, I use iptables and OpenVPN. The interface is accessible via OpenVPN only, works fine.

vpetersson

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:03 pm

atmosx wrote:I don't write code in python, but this application seems very similar to ruby's Sinatra, so it's pretty damn easy to add authentication (plaintext or sha1-ed). However, I use iptables and OpenVPN. The interface is accessible via OpenVPN only, works fine.
Well, in theory, it would trivial to add password authentication. However, it would be a bad idea without first adding SSL (since all passwords will be sent in plain text). The bottom line is that the false sense of security is worse than no security.

I think the most proper solution would be to either add proper SSL support, which the most recent versions of Gunicorn now supports (but I'm not sure how it will behave on the RasPi) or simply lock the web interface to only accept connections from a certain IP (or IPs).

I'm more inclined towards the latter solution, since it is more secure as the former solution is exposed to MiTM attacks.

tjay99ay

Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:49 am

Hi,

Something weird. Followed install instructions and I access the administration screen, however when I try to add an image or video I get this:

No such file or directory: '/home/pi/screenly_assets/

Now on my Pi, /screenly_assets/ is in /home/pi/screenly/screenly_assets/ as it should be, so why would the administration page be trying to upload to the wrong folder?

Cheers

Tim

tjay99ay

Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:52 am

Never mind. A couple of reboots appears to have fixed the problem.

vpetersson

Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:11 pm

tjay99ay wrote: Hi,

Something weird. Followed install instructions and I access the administration screen, however when I try to add an image or video I get this:

No such file or directory: '/home/pi/screenly_assets/

Now on my Pi, /screenly_assets/ is in /home/pi/screenly/screenly_assets/ as it should be, so why would the administration page be trying to upload to the wrong folder?
Hi Tim,

I think this was related to a bug that has been fixed. Basically, viewer.py and server.py expects 'screenly_assets' to reside in '/home/pi' and not '/home/pi/.screenly'.

jeremyczu

Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:03 pm

I have noticed the Update available message keeps showing up, yet when I click the link, the version available at the page is the same one that I have installed. Is this something that you are aware of?

Return to “Other projects”