Axolotl9250

VGA Monitor

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:03 pm

Hi, I read around the Google but didn't really find a satisfying answer so here goes. I got my Pi a few days ago and bought a HDMI to VGA cable, I've tried using it and it wouldn't work, although I've since discovered these cables rarely work - something to do with digital signal with HDMI is not same as VGA (Analogue?). Is there any way I can get this monitor working with it? I've thought about composite to VGA, would this work? I haven't seen anything about it when I searched the forum "composite to VGA".
Thanks,
Ben W.

obarthelemy

Re: VGA Monitor

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:43 pm

You can buy an *active* hdmi to vga converter, that processes the HDMI signal to change it to VGA.

There are threads about this in this forum, and a huge backlog of posts to validate so I'll let you do your own search ^^

Axolotl9250

Re: VGA Monitor

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:48 pm

Thanks! I managed to get one off Amazon for 11 quid. In retrospect it was a n00b question, but then I'm a newcomer to this stuff, but following sites about the Pi and the Arduino I liked what I saw and decided to buy a Pi.

I noticed that the config file may have to be changed according to a customer review on there, to force the HDMI even if not monitor is detected and to set some modes.

One fellow used:

# Settings for Flatron VGA monitor
# 1024 * 768
# Force HDMI signal even if monitor not detected
hdmi_drive=2
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=16
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
disable_overscan=0

Thanks,
Ben W.

Return to “Other projects”