alex190304

Raspberry Pi Highway Camera

Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:24 pm

Hi so I have an idea to make a Raspberry Pi based highway camera. So what I need help with is I want to use a 3G dongle to connect the Pi to the internet but how can I access a stream from the pi. So I have an server that I would like to act as a basic NVR and just record streamed video from the Pi but obviously I cannot do port forwarding on 3G so how would I get the Pi to transmit live video to my server over 3G. This would be a basic timelapse camera. Thanks. Would LogMeIn Hamachi or simlar work.

jkw

Re: Raspberry Pi Highway Camera

Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:05 pm

Well you'd need some kind of server software running on your server without a firewall or at least with an open port.
And a client on the rpi, taking snaps and send them to the server, but have you thought about how to power the RPI? and the 3G module will take some power as well. And the data you're about to send will eat up your dataflat pretty soon, I'd guess.

My PI's are shooting pictures at 1280x720@75% twice a second and send them via WLAN and that easily creates a serious amount of traffic. Each frame is ~64kB so I'd end up with ~10GB for a 24h timeframe ..

fruitoftheloom

Re: Raspberry Pi Highway Camera

Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:21 pm

alex190304 wrote:Hi so I have an idea to make a Raspberry Pi based highway camera. So what I need help with is I want to use a 3G dongle to connect the Pi to the internet but how can I access a stream from the pi. So I have an server that I would like to act as a basic NVR and just record streamed video from the Pi but obviously I cannot do port forwarding on 3G so how would I get the Pi to transmit live video to my server over 3G. This would be a basic timelapse camera. Thanks. Would LogMeIn Hamachi or simlar work.
https://www.weaved.com/raspberry-pi-remote-connection
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines are a ChromeBox & Intel CoreDuo Desktop

Return to “Other projects”