elParaguayo

RPi Information Screen for Official Raspberry Pi Display

Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:06 pm

UPDATE 26/2/16: v0.4 released.

I'd always liked my original RPi information screen project but I felt that it should do more. Fortunately, the official Raspberry Pi display has given me the opportunity to improve the software.

It's still very much a work in progress (and I'll keep updating this post as it develops) but I think it's in good enough shape to show here.

What is it?
It's a customisable program for having various sources of useful/interesting information readily available in one place.

It is customisable because the screens are essentially plugins meaning that you can drop in new ones, make your own one, change existing ones, without changing the core program.

What screens are available?

Currently the following screens are working:

1. Clock

Simple digital clock.

2. Weather

Shows daily and hourly forecasts using weatherunderground data (you'll need to register for an API key to get the data).

Users can set multiple locations.

3. UK train times

Customise to show the times of trains for your regular journeys/commute.

4. London Underground

Show live status of all lines on the Tube.

5. London Buses

Show live arrival times at multiple stops. You can filter for selected bus routes.

6. Football Scores

Show live football scores for specific teams or leagues.

Added in v0.2:

7. Word Clock
English

French (added in v0.4)

Spanish (added in v0.4)

Portuguese (added in v0.4)

Swedish (added in v0.4)

Finnish (added in v0.4)

8. MythTV Upcoming Recordings

9. Squeeze Player Control
Video: https://youtu.be/jxYPIW7vlYU

Added in v0.3:

9. Energenie remote control

10. Google calendar agenda

Added in v0.3.1

11. Photo album
No preview - it just displays photos!

Added in v0.4
12. Helsinki Bus
(Thanks to Karrika)

13. Pong

14. Christmas countdown
(There may not be a big demand for this one at the moment...)

15. Photo album
No screenshots, but it is there!

16. ISS Tracker

Web server
Ability to enable/disable/configure screens (default address is http://ip.address.of.pi:8088).

Activate/deactivate screens:

Edit configurations:

Access custom webpages provided by plugins:

Future screens
I plan to add the following:
  • Kodi remote (basic controls)
  • Energenie remote
  • MythTV status
  • Photoalbum
  • Squeezeplayer status
  • Agenda (using Google Calendar)
  • Pong game! (Given that it's the Kivy tutorial, I thought it would be fun to see if I can incorporate it)
  • Ability to browse music library and enqueue items for Squeezeplayer screen
The status of screens will be up to date on the Github issues page here. Feel free to post requests here too.

How to install it

Edit: Code now available on Github and installation instructions are included in the Readme file.

An apology

Design/layout etc really isn't my thing. So I apologise if the screens look ugly. Please feel free to customise the screens to your heart's content.
Last edited by elParaguayo on Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:25 pm, edited 12 times in total.
RPi Information Screen: plugin based system for displaying weather, travel information, football scores etc.

elParaguayo

Re: RPi Information Screen for Official Raspberry Pi Display

Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:27 pm

Video of first proper test on Pi with touch display:
https://youtu.be/FBKkTKo2aJo

The quality is pretty bad - sorry about that!

The football screen is (almost painfully) slow and I'm not sure why. However, it's looking nice and, on the whole, working well.
RPi Information Screen: plugin based system for displaying weather, travel information, football scores etc.

kusti8

Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:26 am

Very nice! Sadly I'm not getting one if the Official Touch Screens, but I'll see if I have time to play around with your software (and see if I can adapt it to a US version ;) )
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

kusti8

Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:43 am

Also, is there a version of your project without touch? I assume that is the master branch of your original project, but just making sure.

elParaguayo

Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:32 am

Kusti8,

Apologies, my first set of screens are not very US friendly!

If you don't want to use touchscreen, how are you planning to transition between screens? I.e. Do you have any source of input?

The old Master branch on Github is a completely different version of the code (just using pygame) which is significantly less functional than the kivy version so I wouldn't recommend using it.

I'm planning to upload the kivy code tomorrow.

elParaguayo

Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:52 am

Code has now been uploaded to github (link in first post).

Enjoy.

kusti8

Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:48 pm

elParaguayo wrote:Kusti8,

Apologies, my first set of screens are not very US friendly!

If you don't want to use touchscreen, how are you planning to transition between screens? I.e. Do you have any source of input?

The old Master branch on Github is a completely different version of the code (just using pygame) which is significantly less functional than the kivy version so I wouldn't recommend using it.

I'm planning to upload the kivy code tomorrow.
;)

I was thinking of having one of my Pis display an endless loop of info, making it automated. Sort of like a screen saver, but mouse controlled. I've setup my media in the way that I have a large computer in a far away closet, and then plan on using the Pi with Synergy and a trackpad I have to control it instead of rumning a long USB cable. I'm more just playing with the idea, more than actually having a plan for it.

elParaguayo

Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:29 pm

Well, if you've got some input device then it should be very easy to tweak the script to react to that device. The more difficult bit would be where screens have scrollable content - I don't know if it's possible to autoscroll in kivy (even with a custom widget).

elParaguayo

Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:21 pm

Little update:

The MythTV screen is done (but I suspect most people won't be interested in that one...).

I'm working on the Logitech Media Server/SqueezeBox screen and, if I do say so myself, I think it's looking quite nice!

There's a bit more to do:
  • Add controls (e.g. play/pause, change track, volume
  • Select player
Once that's done I'll upload first go of the code to Github for people to try.

Dazstrad

Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:48 pm

Looks very interesting.

Certainly better than my current attempts at learning how to use kivy, so far only managing a simple player start button and volume slider lol.

Will certainly be trying out your next updates

elParaguayo

Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:55 pm

I'm really in awe of how cool kivy is. Once you get to grips with it, it's immensely powerful.

Dazstrad

Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:26 pm

Kivy certainly seems very good so far.
Unfortunately for myself I only know a very small amount of python. Somehow managed to make a pi into an alarm clock, with buttons to control LMS player and my Philips hue bulbs. Kivy has now got me inspired at the endless possibilities.
I better get working though some tutorials.

Like what you seem to be kind of heading towards, I'm very interested in creating a home control /info panel.

elParaguayo

Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:28 pm

If I had Phillips Hue bulbs then I'd absolutely be doing a screen for them. Especially as Kivy had a colour picker widget.

Dazstrad

Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:36 pm

elParaguayo wrote:Especially as Kivy had a colour picker widget.
It has? Certainly know what I'll be trying to play with now! :)

elParaguayo

Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:38 pm

elParaguayo

Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:37 pm

New screen: word clock

This one's self explanatory...

Pretty happy with this one other than when it's ten o'clock but I've got a fix in mind for that.

rpdom

Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:55 am

Very nice :)

Can I make a suggestion for the 10 o'clock thing?
Change the last three lines to this

Code: Select all

S E V E N T W O X E L E V E N
E I G H T E N F O U R F I V E
X Y O ' C L O C K H G A M P M
By swapping the "SEVEN"and "FOUR" and sharing the "T" between "EIGHT" and "TEN" you save a character space and it all fits in.
Of course there may be something I've missed in your layout that would prevent you doing it this way.

elParaguayo

Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:06 am

Thanks. I had already made a note to fix the ten o'clock problem. However, my solution wasn't as good as yours so I'll do it your way!

Thanks.

I'm also planning to make it easy to add new languages.

elParaguayo

Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:11 am

rpdom wrote:Can I make a suggestion for the 10 o'clock thing?
Change the last three lines to this

Code: Select all

S E V E N T W O X E L E V E N
E I G H T E N F O U R F I V E
X Y O ' C L O C K H G A M P M
By swapping the "SEVEN"and "FOUR" and sharing the "T" between "EIGHT" and "TEN" you save a character space and it all fits in.
Of course there may be something I've missed in your layout that would prevent you doing it this way.
Works perfectly, thank you.

Edit: The "RPI O'CLOCK" on the bottom line makes me smile. I'm obviously very childish...

brendanssound

Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:12 pm

Hey man,

I recently tried out your clock program for my sunrise alarm project. I absolutely love your work and i want
to use it. The trouble is everything aside from the clock and weather has no use for me. Instead i wanted to
be able to use a screen as a music player (either locally or preferably with spotify), write in notes (either by touch
or onscreen keyboard), google calendar, and access a webpage like http://www.Noisli.com for some soothing noises to
sleep with.

Trouble is i am really inept when it comes to python.. But i do know a little (i took a class and failed the exam)

Think you can help?

elParaguayo

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:51 pm

brendanssound wrote:I recently tried out your clock program for my sunrise alarm project. I absolutely love your work and i want
to use it.
Good start, I like the way this is going...
The trouble is everything aside from the clock and weather has no use for me.
No problem at all. I expected this to be the case for many people and is the whole reason it's possible to disable screens that you don't want.
Instead i wanted to be able to use a screen as a music player (either locally or preferably with spotify)
Hmm. I don't have spotify so I've no idea if there's a Linux client that I can build a screen on top of. And if there was, I don't have a premium account so it would be hard for me to develop one. I have written a screen to control Logitech Media Server/SqueezeServer and this could certainly be updated to include a client to play music on the Pi, but you'd need a server hosting the music.
write in notes (either by touch or onscreen keyboard)
Could be done. I'll add to my "To Do" list.
google calendar
Already on my to do list.
and access a webpage like http://www.Noisli.com for some soothing noises to sleep with.
I don't think there's a browser plugin for Kivy so this would be tricky. The alternative would be to see if I/someone could replicate Noisli using the audio functions in Kivy. Would also need the sound files. Fun idea, but I'm not sure it's one I'd code myself but I'm very happy to provide guidance.
Trouble is i am really inept when it comes to python. But i do know a little (i took a class and failed the exam)
So what? Seriously, everyone has to start somewhere. Just because you don't know much now doesn't mean you shouldn't try to do it. I've enjoyed learning how to use Kivy just as much as the project itself. So give it a go and come and ask me as many questions as you need if you get stuck (but try Google first as that's how I've learnt virtually all of my coding "skills").
Think you can help?
Hopefully I have!

brendanssound

Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:27 pm

elParaguayo wrote:Good start, I like the way this is going...
And i have plenty of appreciation for people making great things with programming :D
Even better when they share it so we can all come together to make even bigger things
and awe at the possibilities.
elParaguayo wrote:No problem at all. I expected this to be the case for many people and is
the whole reason it's possible to disable screens that you don't want
Yep, figured that one out pretty quickly thanks to your guide. I had a go at changing the londonbus.py
script to something else (just a basic "Hello World") to see if i could manipulate it and go from there..
Then i realized there is like 3 different scripts doing different things And i have not yet got my head
around how they all work together.. How they are called, Or even just how to add a whole new screen.

I only just got Kivy.. And i wanted to use "Kivy Designer" as that looked more friendly to learn with..I could
not get that to work for me. Then when i got your scripts on top of that it threw me way in the deep.

This is more of a "I'll learn in time" sort of thing.. just giving you an idea of where my head is at on it.

The python i did learn was actually called "Jython" which is essentially just "Python for Kids"
elParaguayo wrote:Hmm. I don't have spotify so I've no idea if there's a Linux client that I can build a screen on top of. And if there was, I don't have a premium account so it would be hard for me to develop one. I have written a screen to control Logitech Media Server/SqueezeServer and this could certainly be updated to include a client to play music on the Pi, but you'd need a server hosting the music.
I don't have Spotify premium either, only free. But while we're on the topic.. This is where i got really stumped. Because in my head i imagined a screen where i could hit a button that would open say mplayer or something and scroll to a directory on my lounge room server which holds my music collection.

Or even better.. Just have an icon to open a spotify client (the only thing is it needs to be touch friendly as i wont have a keyboard/mouse setup next to my bed.

So when i looked more and more into Kivy and your software..It dawned on me.. Would i have to build a whole spotify client to do what i want to do? Do i have to script in a file browser if i want to play local stuff...

Recently i discovered Mopidy https://www.mopidy.com/ and now its just annoying me even more because essentially what i want is your clock, weather app, mopidy integrated in a screen, and a google calendar with reminders.. Also it needs to run GPIO for the LED strip that will be the "Sunrise alarm" part of it all.
elParaguayo wrote:Could be done. I'll add to my "To Do" list.
Really? don't have to do it on my behalf. I thought someone would have made something like this already. Thanks though
elParaguayo wrote: google calendar

Noticed that, Up until your recent clock update i thought this project was disbanded.. Like most seem to be.

For example:
https://github.com/FRC4564/infocenter

This guy.. kind of did exactly what I'm after.. with the exception of Spotify integration. However when i tried to run it last night on my windows rig and raspberry pi machine.. I was spat out with an error about gdata.calender.client
"Module not found" from python.. I can't find any information on how Google APIs work.. but I'm fairly certain its
something i need to know.

And of course.. Project seems to be disbanded. Can't seem to get in touch with the developer.
elParaguayo wrote:I don't think there's a browser plugin for Kivy so this would be tricky. The alternative would be to see if someone could replicate Noisli using the audio functions in Kivy. Would also need the sound files.
Ha! You're even more crazy than me. My idea was just to make a python script that would open that webpage with the touch of an icon..Not to develop an entire app for it.

Although similar sounds to that (eg: the birds chirping) would be what i would be after for my sunrise alarm sounds.
Think like this https://youtu.be/zyAABaQlEss

Perhaps i dreamed a little too big here. Lots of people have built sunrise alarms.. None of them seem to have an LCD in them
for a sort of bedside docking station when not being a sunrise alarm.

I'll get there

elParaguayo

Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:00 pm

brendanssound wrote:Yep, figured that one out pretty quickly thanks to your guide. I had a go at changing the londonbus.py
script to something else (just a basic "Hello World") to see if i could manipulate it and go from there..
Then i realized there is like 3 different scripts doing different things And i have not yet got my head
around how they all work together.. How they are called, Or even just how to add a whole new screen.
Start with the template (there's a folder in the "screens" folder) - jumping straight to a fully functional screen is going to be tricky!
I don't have Spotify premium either, only free. But while we're on the topic.. This is where i got really stumped. Because in my head i imagined a screen where i could hit a button that would open say mplayer or something and scroll to a directory on my lounge room server which holds my music collection.

Or even better.. Just have an icon to open a spotify client (the only thing is it needs to be touch friendly as i wont have a keyboard/mouse setup next to my bed.
This all depends on what you want to do. If you've got media stored on the network and those files are visible on the network then, yes, you could build a screen to show those files and play them.
Recently i discovered Mopidy https://www.mopidy.com/ and now its just annoying me even more because essentially what i want is your clock, weather app, mopidy integrated in a screen, and a google calendar with reminders.. Also it needs to run GPIO for the LED strip that will be the "Sunrise alarm" part of it all.
OK, I've not used Mopidy before so I can take a look and see if a screen could be built on top of it.

GPIO should be very easy, plenty of ways to do it.
elParaguayo wrote: google calendar

Noticed that, Up until your recent clock update i thought this project was disbanded.. Like most seem to be.
Seriously??? It had only been a week or so! Trust me, I'm spending a lot of time on this. However, I have a lot of other commitments that I need to manage.
elParaguayo wrote:I don't think there's a browser plugin for Kivy so this would be tricky. The alternative would be to see if someone could replicate Noisli using the audio functions in Kivy. Would also need the sound files.
Ha! You're even more crazy than me. My idea was just to make a python script that would open that webpage with the touch of an icon..Not to develop an entire app for it.
Not crazy. I just like challenges. It's only worth doing if you've got a good audio sample and if the script can loop seamlessly. I wouldn't hold out much hope on this.
Perhaps i dreamed a little too big here. Lots of people have built sunrise alarms.. None of them seem to have an LCD in them
for a sort of bedside docking station when not being a sunrise alarm.

I'll get there
I made a sunrise "clock" for my son which was just an LED strip (no display) under his bed which gradually got brighter in the morning. I could then make it do rainbows and other effects via a web page.

Dreaming big is the best type of dream. Just accept that you'll need small steps and there'll be bumps along the way.

9and3r

Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:57 pm

Hi.

I really liked this project and kivy. I did not know anything about kivy and I found that is great. Some time ago I made https://github.com/9and3r/mopidy-touchscreen using pygame but I found kivy being much more easier to use.

I am making a new screen to use with mopidy. The plan is to make something similar to mopidy-touchscreen in kivy. I have a basic screen already working:
screenshot.jpg
Preview screenshoot
screenshot.jpg (40.29 KiB) Viewed 18382 times
Last edited by 9and3r on Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elParaguayo

Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:22 pm

Great news. Thanks for the update.

Feel free to send a pull request if you want me to incorporate it into the main repository.

Return to “Other projects”