poekel

Runaway cat

Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:44 pm

Hello,

My cat lives indoors but keeps running away. Is there a way with the raspberry that i get a notification somehow when she leaves.
I don't know what to use ? motion detection, PIR

Any ideas ?

Thanx!

DavidMS

Re: Runaway cat

Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:30 pm

I have pi with a RPi camera trained on the cat flap, when the python software detects movement [ by looking at the difference between pictures] it saves the picture. This way if one of the cats has not been seen for a while we at least know when it was last in and if it has visited while we were out. When we are away overnight I also run a second application which emails me a zip file with every time about 20 pictures have been captured. This way my wife gets a warm feeling the cats are around. I used the Pi cam rather than a PIR really just to minimise extra hardware. The problem with this setup is that you need to leave a light on to for it to work in the dark.

I have tried a PIR arrangement to trigger the a Pi noire camera which worked ok but if you rely on the Pi to power the IR LEDs you are a bit limited on power so I ended having to put the camera close to their food which worked. you can see the results here https://meanderingpi.wordpress.com/2015 ... t-monitor/

I do plan to develop this to include separate power for the IR LEDs but it is in the projects 'hopper' with a number of other things at the moment ...
http://meanderingpi.wordpress.com/
11 Raspberry Pi's and counting....

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Runaway cat

Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:32 pm

Bear traps?

Are you sure it's not just out doing cat things? They don't generally like being confined indoors all the time and are less likely to come back when that's the case.

Anyway, do you know where the cat escapes through?

Return to “Other projects”