Archangel5089

Re: Need a use for a Vertex 2 SSD

Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:49 am

I am currently in RMA with an OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, the thing has bricked twice in the same computer and I have already found an alternative. The problem is I can't get my money back so I've been forced to fix the drive and I now need a use for it.

I'm probably already know the answer to this but would there be any point running the RPi OS off an external SSD? Would there be any speed benefits at all to putting accessing an SSD through a USB port?

obarthelemy

Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:01 am

Not much.
- You'll benefit a bit from better access times, though USB and the Pi will account for the bulk of that;
- and not at all of the better throughput, USB2 is the bottleneck here.
Advice: find a SATA or USB3 port to hook it to, or sell it and buy something more Pi-propriate.

matt_heys

Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:52 pm

I'm sure it will be MUCH faster than an SD card will be however, lower power usage than a mechanical drive too.

You would probably still need the kernal, initramfs and the GPU firmware on an sdcard but once they had loaded everything can be passed to a root fs on the SSD.

vman81

Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:15 am

Not to nitpick, but "bricking" means permanently dead... Well I guess I am just nitpicking ;)

abishur

Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:04 pm

Really? I had always considered the term "bricking" to mean "rendered unusable". It's a nuanced difference in the definition, but it makes a big difference in that something that is rendered unusable can be made useable again. Case in point, when flashing a custom rom onto a wireless router, there's a lot of information on how to de-brick the device if you don't follow the directions and mess it up! :P
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

vman81

Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:12 pm

That's because people are misusing the term, calling something bricked when it isn't.

It's kinda annoying when a well defined word is word is muddled, but semantic change of words is simply a part of language, and I'll try not to lose any sleep over it.. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B.....ectronics)

Burngate

Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:33 pm

As far as I know "bricked" hasn't yet hit the dictionaries, and is at best slang, despite that page on wikipedia. So it hasn't yet got an official meaning. It could mean what you do to a camel to make it drink ... best not to go there.

vman81

Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:48 pm

It is in some dictionaries, and it's not like there is any ultimate authority on what an English word means, least of all me or wikipedia.

http://dictionary.reference.co.....se/bricked

But it was useful to have a word that described something that was completely apparently permanently nonfunctional, and not something that failed but is fixable.

Since flashing phones and consoles has become so popular, lots of people who follow a guide and fail with a non booting device panic and think they have "bricked" their device, when they typically easily can redo the process and fix it.

Just my 2 cents.

viroscope

Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:18 pm

Lol love the conversation on Bricking. In my opinion I have always seen bricked as a permanent failure in a process rendering a device totally unusable though I have also seen people use the term soft brick as a way of stating a fixable failure in process.

Android phone never shows logo and no access to ADB - Bricked/ Hard Bricked
Android phone Shows logo/ Can get to ADB/Download mode yet never loads Android OS - Soft Bricked

My 2 Cents too
(Though I never heard of a hard-drive being defined as a bricked device maybe just broken as 99% of the time they are mechanically repairable compared to destroying programming on a microchip)

Return to “Other projects”