chowanec

Screen Advice

Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:16 am

So, I am trying to find the easiest screen solution for the Pi. I don't know much about hardware, so I find myself shying away from GPIO solutions -- but perhaps I am scaring myself out of it quicker than I need to. I know a bit of python and would like to drive things, at the very least, through a LCD (i.e. old school LCD display, not a monitor) so I can display some information from my sonos system.

I could go for a USB solution if there's a known one that works. Not looking to spend a fortune, but would love some advice. :)

Thanks all,

Chow

Reider

Re: Screen Advice

Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:33 pm

Here is a good link;

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =32&t=8021

Have fun and enjoy, give it a whirl, it`s fun. Just takes time and research.

Steve

chowanec

Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:21 pm

So, in terms of a shopping list?:

Screen: http://www.amazon.com/LCD-Module-Arduin ... ds=hd44780

(Going with 20x4 if possible)

I see some setups with a "Breakout Board" (I don't even know what that is. :P) and then how about wiring needs? I'm fine with individual wires to individual pins if that is what it takes. I'll figure out how to solder and will by two of these to be safe. :)

Do I need a breakout board?

I can't tell if the upper right of the PI is occupied by something to that extent...?

-Chow

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:30 pm

No you dont "need" a breakout box, but it makes it easier to cable up modules from the same maker of the breakout box.

Its primarily for people who (think they) cannot solder, and want to go one step beyond using a breadboard setup.

TommyboyNL

Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:35 pm

The LCD in the image above has a piggyback board from bitwizard (www.bitwizard.nl/catalog), that allows you to control it over I2C. There's also an SPI version available. You could, however, just run your display from GPIO pins, it only takes a little more wires and time/effort to get it working.

Return to “Other projects”