JonHubertBristol

Re: An OS thats actually bears resemblance to the RPs many use cases

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:26 pm

I'm not even gonna post a link here (too lazy at the moment) But you guys should check out the OpenPandora. The OS is open source and the the guys behind it are really cool, smart and down to earth.

Leave a reply if you think it's feasible...

obarthelemy

Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:51 am

I'm too lazy to look into it to check. Linux drivers ?

tachyon

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:05 am

For the lazies...

OpenPandora is AngstromOS with mods. The AngstromOS faq is:http://www.linuxtogo.org/gowik.....ngstromFaq

Just my 30 seconds opinion, but there appears to be nothing special about Angstrom itself, and the OpenPandora version is not available unless you buy their handheld? Not sure.

For a support standpoint the raspberry team would be better with something more supported. Leave the fringe OSes to us tinkerers. Remember, the goal is for education, not homebrew freaks like us.

emercer

Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:59 am

Quote from tachyon on October 27, 2011, 02:05
Just my 30 seconds opinion, but there appears to be nothing special about Angstrom itself, and the OpenPandora version is not available unless you buy their handheld? Not sure.

I like it that you can build a rootfs image straight from the website at http://narcissus.angstrom-dist.....ution.org/. I'll give it a try later, to see how flexible it is.

darkcity

Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:43 am

Does anyone know if Ångström intend to build for Pi (a bootstrapping option)?
http://narcissus.angstrom-dist.....ution.org/

JonHubertBristol

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:14 pm

Glad to see you guys have done some research!

@ tachyon yes it's based on Angstrom, but it's more than just a few mods, those guys managed pack a lot of functionality and tweaks into it, Also, the specs of the Pandora are similar to the RaspPi. (and exactly the same amount of RAM as the Model B version) yet still certain ps1 games can be emulated in excess of 90FPS!

Also, the method of application 'installation' is easy as heck, check this out

kattle87

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:59 pm

And there's a good chunk of difference in processing power between the two, since they got a cortex A8 while we have a ARM11 ^^
I don't think the Pandora OS would be the best for the raspi, it wouldn't be really fitting - it's designed for a handheld device, with a touchscreen in mind etc... I love the pandora idea (I myself have been waiting for the pandora for ages, I was in the first 3k preorders, but after a while I just lost the patience and bought a different device) but the raspi is just different.

JonHubertBristol

Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:44 pm

Quote from kattle87 on October 27, 2011, 16:59
And there's a good chunk of difference in processing power between the two, since they got a cortex A8 while we have a ARM11 ^^
I don't think the Pandora OS would be the best for the raspi, it wouldn't be really fitting - it's designed for a handheld device, with a touchscreen in mind etc... I love the pandora idea (I myself have been waiting for the pandora for ages, I was in the first 3k preorders, but after a while I just lost the patience and bought a different device) but the raspi is just different.

Not necessarily 'with a touchscreen in mind' because the cursor is still there and very usuable, the 'knobs' on the pandora can be used to control it also. In fact the touchscreen is more of a perk than anything else, all of the apps are still 'desktop oriented' in my opinion :-)

kattle87

Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:23 am

Yes, those are still "desktop oriented", but with a small resolution in mind!
It would surely fit if you went to hook up a small screen and use it as handheld, but it won't be the best choice at 1080p probably!

JonHubertBristol

Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:56 pm

Quote from kattle87 on October 28, 2011, 12:23
Yes, those are still "desktop oriented", but with a small resolution in mind!
It would surely fit if you went to hook up a small screen and use it as handheld, but it won't be the best choice at 1080p probably!

I guess so, I understand where you're coming from, but not everyone's gonna have a HDMI monitor/TV, some might just hook it up to a standard res 480p TV. Plus, almost all programs are coded like 'jpegs' not 'bitmaps' if you'll excuse the analogy, so they can scale to varying sizes.

And I appreciate all the input, keep the feedback and opinions coming! :D

gbl08ma

Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:27 pm

JPEGs aren't scaleable, neither are bitmaps; what you meant was that programs scale like vector images (e.g. SVG), to any screen size. Sure they scale, but the fact is that a Windows or Gnome 2 taskbar/panel or a window border will always look the same size unless you specifically modify the settings. That's why we have specific GUIs for touchscreens, desktops, laptops, netbooks, tablets and media centres (the so called 10-feet-UI). It's hard to find a GUI that suits them all, but if you search carefully there are already many designers who have done work in this.

JonHubertBristol

Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:23 pm

Quote from gbl08ma on October 28, 2011, 16:27
JPEGs aren't scaleable, neither are bitmaps; what you meant was that programs scale like vector images (e.g. SVG), to any screen size. Sure they scale, but the fact is that a Windows or Gnome 2 taskbar/panel or a window border will always look the same size unless you specifically modify the settings. That's why we have specific GUIs for touchscreens, desktops, laptops, netbooks, tablets and media centres (the so called 10-feet-UI). It's hard to find a GUI that suits them all, but if you search carefully there are already many designers who have done work in this.

Thanks for clearing that up, that was a horrible tech jargon blunder on my part, thanks for the reply!

Return to “Other projects”