Drakaen391

Playstation 2 case questions

Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:12 pm

I am working on a retropie system and my first case idea got scrapped (to small for cords, power supply, ect.
So decided to buy a old PS 2 for $10 bucks

1. is it possible to keep the network adapter and solder the wires to the existing connector in the playstation

2. can the PS1/2 controllers be used without a USB to Playstation converter?

3. I have a 2 color LED... can I program it to switch when the system is shutdown but still powered?

4. what SDD can the Pi handle in terms of size and speed (it would be powered externally)

Thanks

Current build:

Raspberry pi B Rev2
Retropie 3 beta 2
2 Externally powered fans
power status light
Ipad charger USB for board
9v power for 2 fans

amigaholic

Re: Playstation 2 case questions

Mon May 04, 2015 4:19 pm

Drakaen391 wrote:I am working on a retropie system and my first case idea got scrapped (to small for cords, power supply, ect.
So decided to buy a old PS 2 for $10 bucks
See if you can get a dead PS2 (dead due to motherboard failure). If you have a live one, donate it to a children's hospital or something, as these are still great fun to play with, and you'll get a warm and fuzzy feeling inside.

If you've got a dead PS2, but the drive works, you may be able to use the optical drive. Might even be possible to replace the drive with a higher performance DVD-RW, but I have no information on the specs of the original PS2 optical drive. Not sure how worthwhile it'd be to fit a Blu-Ray drive.

The usefulness of optical drives these days is questionable; I only ever use the one in my PC for older games (i.e. the ones I don't have on Steam, etc) - but some people still use them for backups, or for loading up media centre systems. When I ripped all my disc-based content a month or so ago, that was the most use my optical drive had ever had in all the time I've owned it.
Drakaen391 wrote:1. is it possible to keep the network adapter and solder the wires to the existing connector in the playstation
In buildings that are wired for Ethernet, you have wall ports or floor boxes each with one or more data outlets. It's just an RJ45 socket. The 8 wires from the CAT5e/CAT6/CAT6a cabling are wired into the pins on the socket.

Why not use a short bit of CAT5e (or higher) with an RJ45 connector on one end, plugged into the Pi's built-in Ethernet port, with the other end hard-wired to an RJ45 socket positioned exactly where the PS2's surface-mount Ethernet socket meets the case? It would be visually identical to how the PS2's Ethernet port is, and won't require anything particularly fancy.
Drakaen391 wrote:2. can the PS1/2 controllers be used without a USB to Playstation converter?
Wouldn't have thought so. Again, though, I'd suggest using USB-to-Playstation converters inside the case, connecting to a powered USB hub, so it remains visually identical externally.
Drakaen391 wrote:3. I have a 2 color LED... can I program it to switch when the system is shutdown but still powered?
I have no information on this, sorry. Hopefully someone else can answer this question.
Drakaen391 wrote:4. what SDD can the Pi handle in terms of size and speed (it would be powered externally)
The Pi doesn't have a SATA port, so it absolutely relies on USB for I/O. As it's USB2, theoretically you should be able to pass 480 Mbit/sec through it. Basically, SATA2 would be ideal, but you can use a SATA3 drive too - it just won't be any faster than SATA2. Again, no advantage in using a USB3-to-SATA adapter over a USB2-to-SATA adapter - it's capable of going faster, but the Pi can't - and won't - try.

I'd recommend using an SSD over a 2.5in mechanical drive because SSDs have lower power consumption, generate less heat and noise, and aren't as prone to failure if the unit is moved around a lot. However, if you require a load of storage, the £ per MB is higher for SSD than it is for mechanical disks. Bulk storage = mechanical, fast/reliable storage = SSD.

hucklefuck

Re: Playstation 2 case questions

Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:03 am

BTW i wouldn't use the PS2's optical drive, those are notoriously flakey and also you would have to use a USB connection to hook it up. You'd be best off buying some cheap drive and using a USB to sata adapter of some sort. I'm sure you can look around and find one. And no, you couldn't hook up the controllers without MORE adapters. Pretty much the only thing you can use in the PS2 is the ethernet port like the poster above mentioned, by wiring it from the back with another ethernet cable. It's pretty simple. This sounds like a lot of work, but it would be so cool if you got it working! I'd also consider using another system like an NES or SNES as a case, those would be smaller and much easier to work with. Good luck!

Return to “Other projects”