livetoski78

First time eating Pi...thin client question

Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:18 pm

So I am totally new to the Raspberry Pi, having become interested in them when I saw a bin of Pi 2s for sale next to the Arduino stuffs in MicroCenter. The possibility of having a cheap thin client that will attach to the back of a monitor piqued my curiosity. I have seen similar setups used as point of sale terminals.

My mother needs a new computer, her existing one (Windows XP...lol) being far outdated and starting to experience blue screens. What I would like to do is setup a Pi 2 as a thin client terminal to one of my Windows 7 computers. I've seen where some people have accomplished this using Citrix, VNC, or similar apps. Essentially, she needs a fool proof way to get to the Windows 7 OS (I lovingly call her "computing challenged"). At her age, learning a new OS is not in the cards and I try to keep things as simple as possible (her file folder, Outlook, IE, Word, and Excel accessible right on her desktop).

My question is this... Is it possible to load a terminal session immediately upon turning the machine on and it going through start up? To her, it would basically need to look just like she turned on a windows PC.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's wanted to do this. Does anyone have a step by step walkthrough of how it can be done? A Google search didn't yield a work instruction.

Thanks! (My mom thanks you too!)

fruitoftheloom

Re: First time eating Pi...thin client question

Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:42 pm

livetoski78 wrote:So I am totally new to the Raspberry Pi, having become interested in them when I saw a bin of Pi 2s for sale next to the Arduino stuffs in MicroCenter. The possibility of having a cheap thin client that will attach to the back of a monitor piqued my curiosity. I have seen similar setups used as point of sale terminals.

My mother needs a new computer, her existing one (Windows XP...lol) being far outdated and starting to experience blue screens. What I would like to do is setup a Pi 2 as a thin client terminal to one of my Windows 7 computers. I've seen where some people have accomplished this using Citrix, VNC, or similar apps. Essentially, she needs a fool proof way to get to the Windows 7 OS (I lovingly call her "computing challenged"). At her age, learning a new OS is not in the cards and I try to keep things as simple as possible (her file folder, Outlook, IE, Word, and Excel accessible right on her desktop).

My question is this... Is it possible to load a terminal session immediately upon turning the machine on and it going through start up? To her, it would basically need to look just like she turned on a windows PC.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's wanted to do this. Does anyone have a step by step walkthrough of how it can be done? A Google search didn't yield a work instruction.

Thanks! (My mom thanks you too!)
Setup RDP Client in Raspberry Pi Raspbian Operating System

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install rdesktop
Setup RDP Host in Windows 7 Operating System http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/wind ... =windows-7

This will give you a start
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

MarkHaysHarris777

Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:13 pm

I would not recommend setting up an RPi 2 as a thin client to Windows 7 (your mum will be frustrated with the setup).

On the other hand, the RPi 2 is 'almost' capable of replacing a desktop PC for most tasks that your mum would be interested in. LibreOffice, Epiphany, gmail, work great. The idea of hanging the RPi on the back of the monitor works great... been doing that for a while. Get her a logitech keyboard|mouse wireless combo, and a wipi adapter. She'll love it.

Seriously, if she is computer challenged the RPi (already setup of course) is right up her alley... on the other hand, if she is computer challenged don't give her a thin client to Windows 7/ :roll:
marcus
:ugeek:

aka

Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:42 am

Try Wtware for Raspberry Pi 2 solution.

Return to “Other projects”