DexOS

Embedded operating system

Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:56 pm

Hi all.
Some of you may know, that i am working on a simple embedded operating system for the R-PI, thats a port of my x86 OS (DexOS).

My x86 OS, is fully featured including usb, tcp/ip stacks, cli and gui etc, but is very little used.
I do not want the same thing to happen to the R-PI port, a lot of work goes into coding such a project and it would be a shame to see it not used.

So here is your chance to have your input into the type of embedded operating system that you would find useful.

To be useful it must do something better in some way that say linux, or theres little point in coding it.

For example does it need a gui ?, maybe a headless sys would be more useful.
From reading some of the topics on this forum, i was thinking maybe a headless sys that could be interfaced with a basic like language would be useful.
But i am open to any ideas.
So all input welcome.
Batteries not included, Some assembly required.

mikerr

Re: Embedded operating system

Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:49 pm

I'd avoid a (windows) GUI - given people can use linux/X if they want to do that.

There is space IMO for a small footprint fast booting performance OS, with graphics acceleration
- play to Pi's strengths and the graphics is one major strength IMO.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

DexOS

Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:58 pm

Thanks for your input mikerr,
But embedded dev's like me and a small number of others, can not use anywhere near the full power of the GPU, it just will not be available to us.
Thats why linux seem so slow, i would say we are looking at 800*600 32bpp, of 40FPS if we are lucky.

tufty

Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:26 pm

If you want it to be anything other than a toy, it's gonna need to do not only better than linux in some area (realtime performance might be an area to look at, but you'll still need to implement multitasking and a realtime scheduler, which is no mean feat), but also be significantly different. You've already thrown away openoffice compatibility, so why not do something really daring...

There's lots of areas where computing can be improved. Poke and pry at one or more of them. It doesn't matter if you fail, as long as you've tried.

Oh, and get yerself onto the os development irc channel.

Simon

DexOS

Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:50 pm

tufty wrote:If you want it to be anything other than a toy, it's gonna need to do not only better than linux in some area (realtime performance might be an area to look at, but you'll still need to implement multitasking and a realtime scheduler, which is no mean feat), but also be significantly different. You've already thrown away openoffice compatibility, so why not do something really daring...

There's lots of areas where computing can be improved. Poke and pry at one or more of them. It doesn't matter if you fail, as long as you've tried.

Oh, and get yerself onto the os development irc channel.

Simon
Thanks tufty for your input.
I agree it only needs to do one or two important things better than linux to be useful.
And your the second person to say about joining the "os development irc channel" i am just too slow at typing.

labidus

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:19 am

DexOS wrote:Thanks for your input mikerr,
But embedded dev's like me and a small number of others, can not use anywhere near the full power of the GPU, it just will not be available to us.
Thats why linux seem so slow, i would say we are looking at 800*600 32bpp, of 40FPS if we are lucky.
unless the GUI is made 100% opengl and its possible to do hundred of fps easily, it's just the os need to talk to the GPU in some way, does that mean the new OS need to make the opengl driver too? i guess, so its a lot of work

Return to “Other projects”