MaltWisky

Coolblock extra's!

Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:43 am

Hello Fellow Pi-people!

I've been enjoying my Pi for a few weeks now, mostly with the Raspbmc. But also trying some tutorials from the home site here as well (making led blink 'n stuff really enjoyable). And it came to my attention that the Pi kinda gets hot! Maybe its not hot enough for damage and such, but the cooler the hardware, the longer it lives!

As a CNC-Milling fanatic with 5-6 years experience and a few "papers" that say I'm educated enough to operate dangerous ultra-high powered machinery I'd thought i would make a nice cool block!

I still have to mill the damn thing! out of aluminum or maybe even brass. But here is a sketchup drawing of my concept. It covers a few things that i won't be needing while using Raspbmc. But if anyone likes the idea i can always try making it accessible later on.

The idea is that it makes the board evenly high, so if you sandwich it in a case, you can apply all pressure on the block and it spreads it evenly on the components.

Anyone have thoughts or comments! please post!

PS: unless its something in the line off: Pi doesn't need a cooling block haha :)

Lorian

Re: Coolblock extra's!

Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:18 pm

MaltWisky wrote: PS: unless its something in the line off: Pi doesn't need a cooling block haha :)
Pi doesn't need a cooling block :roll:

If you are going to used up so much metal why not mill yourself a case.

MaltWisky

Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:21 pm

Lorian wrote:
Pi doesn't need a cooling block :roll:

If you are going to used up so much metal why not mill yourself a case.
I'm working on that too! but i need a nice design something my old converted cnc mill can handle! Else i have to ask my boss if i can use the smallest mill, and that thing has a bed of 500x1200mm so.. kinda big :P.

For now I'm getting a wooden case! hardwood that has a nice texture. The block won't even be visible in that one.

reloader13

Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:06 am

srry double post
Last edited by reloader13 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

reloader13

Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:16 am

I might be interested in your cooling solution if you can make a mounting system for the new raspberry pi
that has been build in the UK.

the sketchup looks nice

i think it is a great cooling solution for the new automatic overclock function

greetz,
Reloader

eLJay

Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:49 am

There is it getting hot and then there is increasing the weight of the Pi by about 100 times.
I doubt it needs anything more than 2 or 3 vga memory chip coolers.

Though this does look cool. :D

jfornango

Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:20 pm

Here's an idea... extend the cooling plate past the edges, then mill a tray to go under it. Case & cooling in one!

I think the cooling fins as the case top would be fairly nice, and that lends itself to automotive mounting (maybe a couple of countersunk mounting holes in the bottom plate?

Just my $.02. someday, it might be worth every penny. :lol:
I'm only wearing black until they find something darker.

MaltWisky

Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:15 pm

Hello all,

Been kinda busy in rl with work and what not!

Thank you all for the reply's! I don't think the weight of the whole contraption is of any point a object to get a nice looking heat sink ! as i just mount it on the "vesa" points behind our tv.

To make a case that encloses the Pi on 2 sides is gonna be kinda tricky due to all the components in the way, but i may get a sketch of it just to look at the possibilities.

As of today i'am starting to mill a prototype, i finally got the right size mill-bits i ordered around the time i posted the pictures!

ArnieX

Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:52 am

Hey!! That is very cool one... Which CAD application have you used for it? Can you please at least share some metrics? I would really love to design my own cooler too. Chip positions and metrics would be very helpful for me or if you can share the whole project file (but it depends on application you use). Anyway keep up the work I would really love to see this happen.

MaltWisky

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:52 am

Hey hey,

I use Google Sketchup, its easy to learn and if you put a little time it in pretty accurate. If you want the base file just pm me, if someone else can make it better why not share it ;)

Kind regards,

Malt

zboz

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:22 am

Hi there,
Were you planning on using a slitting saw on the fins or going with a really small endmill?

I've made some heatsinks for the thing too. The first one is pictured lower down in this thread:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =29&t=5823
I just can't get the rpm out of my machine to do the fins with really small endmills for now.

I'm thinking of doing a mold out of steel to cast it in just because it's quicker with my old mill.

RaTTuS

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:30 am

umm
don't cover the
jtag , dsi , csi ,
use the mounting holes to hold it in place
extend it so it becomes a case ...
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

ArnieX

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:17 pm

MaltWisky wrote:Hey hey,

I use Google Sketchup, its easy to learn and if you put a little time it in pretty accurate. If you want the base file just pm me, if someone else can make it better why not share it ;)

Kind regards,

Malt
Well I don't know much about Google Sketchup, I used to work with Solidworks or Autocad for designing parts when I was at highschool. So I still remember a bit but I don't have access to CNC machine at all, but I would probably ask someone to make it for me. If you could export kind of top view in wires with chip positions and overall metrics all around I would design my own then and share here of course. Just need these metrics, can't get them now as I'm still waiting for my Pi to arrive ;)

Thanks in advance Malt.

MaltWisky

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:36 pm

zboz wrote:Hi there,
Were you planning on using a slitting saw on the fins or going with a really small endmill?

I've made some heatsinks for the thing too. The first one is pictured lower down in this thread:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =29&t=5823
I just can't get the rpm out of my machine to do the fins with really small endmills for now.

I'm thinking of doing a mold out of steel to cast it in just because it's quicker with my old mill.
Hey,

What i'm seeing of ur alu header, you use a small end-mill for everything. The best way, and smoothest way is to use the biggest you can fit. And later use a smaller one for the "details". In alu just get ur machine on the highest possible speed it can get, because without a proper cnc mill, you will never get the right rpm anyway (for 4mm mill it graduate gets around 10k rpm! for end milling).

I'm gonna mill the heat sink with a saw blade to get the fins, that is a painstaking slow process on a conventional mill but it will get the fins done in 1 go.

I hope i can post something soon, i left room for all the connections btw, its not visuable on the screenshots.

Kind regards,

Malt

ArnieX

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:59 pm

Wanted to share my first mockup render ;) made in AutoCAD ... getting back my old experiences, just need to solve few small issues with this and then just find out how to make it.

Found a good way, purchase finalised heatsink as a block of X by Y and cut out desired shape.

ArnieX

Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:50 am

Hi there,

I'm back again for those who wanna see more. I've created revised version of PiCooler here you go and enjoy:

zboz

Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:16 pm

Nice!
Now put a stainless steel, laser cut pi logo on top and get machining :)

ArnieX

Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:22 pm

zboz wrote:Nice!
Now put a stainless steel, laser cut pi logo on top and get machining :)
Well I've tried that but didn't like the look of it so I stepped back and deleted that from heatsink ;), when my Pi arrives I will measure all the stuff to make it really precise and then I will ask few people if they can actually make one for me and at what cost ;) so hopefully I might be able to post a real thing soon...

Mchnpnk

Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:28 am

I think buying the pre-made aluminum extrusions and machining them is the way to go.

in the process of taking the measurements to make my own case. It would be good to know what kind of dimensional tolerance they have on connector placement.

I'd hate to find out that a case that fits my rpi perfectly won't fit someone else's cause the USB ports are .005" to the left.

it's been awhile so if you still need it made pm me.
I know a guy with machine shop

bugsy_malone 666

Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:47 pm

While I like the idea of these coolers as they look nice, my main issue with one would be the long term + 1 other factor.

Having done a little testing with mine watch video through XBMC on my Pi I didnt find it got all that hot, I have basic old style VGA cooler cut into sections so it just a bit bigger than each of the chip parts it cools.

The 2 main issues are, for long term getting to any of the onboard connectivitiy/mounting screws. The other issue is some components actually get pretty hot next to the main chip and could do with some free cooling rather than being boxed in.

Other than that, like people say it would be cool if iy could be made in such a way it was also a mounting bracket too!

MaltWisky

Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:47 pm

Hi there!

Its been a while, i see other people also made some renders! very nice indeed.

I've made my first block, only to find out my sketchup model was mirrored by the modeller... it was explained on the download site that he did that because the model wasn't 100% accurate.

Of course i didn't had my real pi next to my alu block, so i made it mirrored :/ It came out very very nice! only 1 mistake on the bottom, and it really doesn't matter. I made 1 cutout for the hdmi connector 3mm to far out, so i had to drill a second hole.

Photo's will come shortly for those interested, and I'm gonna go back to the milling machine of my dad next week to make a new one!

XBMCantgetenough

Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:14 pm

what happened? I would love to see the final product..

ArnieX

Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:21 pm

I'm sorry I didn't actually found anyone to CNC this for me. So no final product yet. Now I go with little memory heatsinks on 3 most heated chips.

XBMCantgetenough

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:06 pm

Thanks ArnieX for replying, its a shame you couldn't find anyone because your renders where inspiring. I'm also interested on who you go to mass produce them because although everyone says that heatsinks are not necassay. They are if you are able to achieve pro turbo settings.

ArnieX

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:10 pm

Totally agree with you, when I have cameras connected and stream them over the air while having turbo ON, Raspberry Pi freezes from time to time due to extremely high temperature. So heatsinks are really way to go. My second RasPi has them as well because it run XBMC 24/7.

Return to “Other projects”