neinnein1310

Pi Zero as middle man between pc and keyboard

Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:47 am

I'm trying to achieve the effect of Kyria Oled split keyboard by connecting an Oled display to the Pi Zero and using the Pi Zero as a middle man between any keyboard and pc which will be able to calculate the number of WPM and display it. Was wondering if I can connect the keyboard to the Pi Zero via micro USB port and then install an usb expansion board onto the Pi Zero to plug it straight into the pc. If it is possible then how do I send the keystrokes from the Pi Zero to the pc. Or if I should use Pi Zero as a standalone keylogger to calculate WPM. Thank you in advance.

thagrol

Re: Pi Zero as middle man between pc and keyboard

Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:58 pm

neinnein1310 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:47 am
Was wondering if I can connect the keyboard to the Pi Zero via micro USB port and then install an usb expansion board onto the Pi Zero to plug it straight into the pc.
Not possible. The zero has 1 USB controller with a single port. It can do host or device but not both at the same time. Most "USB expansion" boards are repackaged USB hubs.
I'm a volunteer. Take me for granted or abuse my support and I will walk away

All advice given is based on my experience. it worked for me, it may not work for you.
Need help? https://github.com/thagrol/Guides

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:12 pm

You could try to use a PS/2 keyboard, it doesn't need an USB interface, and the interface can be "bit banged" with GPIO's.

Imperf3kt

Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:43 pm

Could you track it with software on the target device and send that data to the Pi to be merely displayed (not processed on the Pi itself)
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Rose tinted glasses are difficult to see through.

trejan

Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:58 pm

A Pi 4 could do it as it has two separate USB controllers. Do you really want to wait for your keyboard display to boot before you can type anything though?

LTolledo

Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:21 pm

neinnein1310 wrote: I'm trying to achieve the effect of Kyria Oled split keyboard....
just buy the keyboard you mentioned... as save yourself some unforeseeable "white elephant" and agony....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Return to “Other projects”