ElectronicsNut

How to Access a Pi4 connected to a Public AP

Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:50 pm

Project:

I have a RV that is parked 600 miles away from my home. I have a Ubiquity UDM-Pro controller at home and will have a dedicated VPN Vnet that will be accessed by the RV Pi4 with OpenVPN or a product of that type on the Pi4. The RV's WiFi connection has between 4 and 10Mbps connection 24/7/365. Granted, I will need to constantly verify a connection to the AP and if the connection is lost, reconnect using the stored Username/PW. I am thinking that if I have the RV Pi4 connect to the UDM-Pro Vnet port I should be able to get the assigned local IP address and access the Pi4 from home laptop.

Your thoughts on the connection in both directions.....

I need to:
- Access a Pi4 (from home) that will be in the RV to upload IOT program enhancements
- Check the various RV sensors (Temp-Humidity/RV Battery Voltage/MorningStar MPPT Solar data/Security Sensors...
- Access the RV video camera(s) may add a couple more

Part 2:
- Have the Pi4 download live data to a Pi4 at home and display that data on a wall mounted tablet as a display.
- Display the current Pi4 and connection status
- Alert me of any problems via text message if there is a problem

epoch1970

Re: How to Access a Pi4 connected to a Public AP

Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:13 pm

The Pi in the RV will have to connect to the VPN server.

If the server is on the internet and you connect the other machine at home to it, they’re both on the VPN network and you can push-pull all the data you need.

If the server is at home, you can either do the same and have the client dial to the server over the local LAN, or

less simple, you can route LAN addresses via the tunnel.
https://openvpn.net/community-resources ... er-subnet/
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

ElectronicsNut

Re: How to Access a Pi4 connected to a Public AP

Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:36 pm

Thanks epoch1970, everything I need to know to get this up and running
Have a GREAT day/evening

Return to “Other projects”