smamp

Office presenting / screen sharing solution

Mon May 03, 2021 8:18 pm

Hey all, first off I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, if so I apologize and if you could inform me of where to post this, please do.

I work in a graduate student office of 6 students all going for our Master's in Mechanical Engineering, and we recently got a TV (TOSHIBA -unsure of the exact model) that sits very high up on the wall above a whiteboard. We'd like to use this monitor for all 6 of us to present on at different times in our office, but as we'd be presenting from our desktops and not laptops a traditional HDMI cord would be a bit unrealistic for what we need. I got to thinking about it and looked into some wireless Windows screensharing solutions, but our computers lack the necessary Windows software (I believe it's called Miracast), so I'm looking into other possible solutions.

My question to the forum is this: What do you think the best solution would be? I don't have much experience with Raspberry Pi's but I code in Python quite frequently and I think a project like this would help me get better with hardware like the Pi's and I was hoping to find some solution involving them. I was thinking that the Pi could act as a server to which we could connect our PC's to and screenshare to the TV through some pre-established software, but that was just an idea. Looking for any and all suggestions!

Thanks!

aBUGSworstnightmare

Re: Office presenting / screen sharing solution

Fri May 07, 2021 6:41 pm

What comes to my mind is running VNC Server on your desktop PCs and VNC viewer on the Pi (connected to the TV).
Add a wireless keyboard/mouse which can be moved to the presenters desk for connecting t9 the server. Should be possible to start this over SSH, i.e. A script for connecting to dedicated server (IP address).

drtechno

Re: Office presenting / screen sharing solution

Sun May 09, 2021 5:12 pm

Miracast is implemented professionally through linux from the chip manufacturer NXP.
But our free one is part of gnome-networking-displays. Which works, but you have to patch wpa-supplement (see this github site for details).

Return to “Other projects”