SuperWaffleKitty

SATA/SAS connection over GPIO on RPI0?

Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:33 pm

I'm currently working on a project which will use a raspberry pi 0 to automatically read and write to SATA and SAS based drives upon connection. I know that I have the option of using USB to connect to the drives, however my goal is to make this process as minimalist as possible. I don't have much knowledge when it comes to the capabilities of the GPIO pins on the RPI 0, and I was wondering if they could be used as an alternative to USB. I am currently focused primarily on compatibility with SATA devices, however I do plan on implementing SAS compatibility. Any help I could get would be great! Thanks (:

RGJ-PI
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: SATA/SAS connection over GPIO on RPI0?

Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:00 pm

No. GPIO headers have neither the capability or speed to be used for disk based storage. USB3 on Pi4 is the best option. Are you sure you want to be using a Pi Zero for thsi?

fanoush

Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:34 pm

There is SMI interface which can be made to talk to IDE/PATA drive, so with pata to sata adapter it could work, but the project was not finished, it was just a concept
EDIT:
viewtopic.php?t=197875
Last edited by fanoush on Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuperWaffleKitty

Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:38 pm

fanoush wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:34 pm
There is SMI interface which can be made to talk to IDE/PATA drive, so with pata to sata adapter it could work, but the project was not finished, it was just a concept
Do you know where I could find some more information on this project? It seems promising.

SuperWaffleKitty

Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:40 pm

RGJ-PI wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:00 pm
No. GPIO headers have neither the capability or speed to be used for disk based storage. USB3 on Pi4 is the best option. Are you sure you want to be using a Pi Zero for thsi?
My goal is to make the device as small and compact as possible. I have also looked into using rpi compute modules, however I am not very knowledgeable in their capabilities.

trejan

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:06 pm

SuperWaffleKitty wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:40 pm
My goal is to make the device as small and compact as possible.
The minimalist option is a USB to SATA adapter. Using the prototype SMI to PATA adapter would need you to complete + build it and you'd still need add a PATA to SATA bridge board. You'd end up with worse performance and a larger device.

If SAS is a requirement then you're going to have problems.

SuperWaffleKitty

Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:29 pm

trejan wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:06 pm
The minimalist option is a USB to SATA adapter. Using the prototype SMI to PATA adapter would need you to complete + build it and you'd still need add a PATA to SATA bridge board. You'd end up with worse performance and a larger device.

If SAS is a requirement then you're going to have problems.
Alright good to know. I was mostly just wondering if GPIO would be a good alternative, and it seems it would not. SAS support is not my primary goal for this project, however it is something I wish to implement sometime in the future. I have yet to find a time and cost effective way to write from an RPI to a SAS drive, although I am sure it exists. Thank you (:

trejan

Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:57 pm

SuperWaffleKitty wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:29 pm
SAS support is not my primary goal for this project, however it is something I wish to implement sometime in the future. I have yet to find a time and cost effective way to write from an RPI to a SAS drive, although I am sure it exists. Thank you (:
There is no cheap and easy way of getting SAS support on a Pi.

The cheapest way to connect to a SAS drive is to buy a low end SAS HBA PCIe card and put it into a PC. Somebody does make a USB to SAS adapter but it is very expensive at nearly £600. The cables and interposers that say SATA to SAS are poorly advertised and for attaching a SATA device to a compatible SAS interface. They don't do SAS drive to SATA interface.

SuperWaffleKitty

Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:17 pm

trejan wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:57 pm
There is no cheap and easy way of getting SAS support on a Pi.

The cheapest way to connect to a SAS drive is to buy a low end SAS HBA PCIe card and put it into a PC. Somebody does make a USB to SAS adapter but it is very expensive at nearly £600. The cables and interposers that say SATA to SAS are poorly advertised and for attaching a SATA device to a compatible SAS interface. They don't do SAS drive to SATA interface.
Alright, I will likely then either skip SAS development altogether or design my own USB SAS interface later down the line. Thank you for your help.

Return to “Other projects”