fd_

Re: New AirPlay Mirroring Server (Open Source)

Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:40 pm

stevo246 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:30 pm
Questions for usage:
1. How can I start the program with specific arguments -n? I can only double click the application to start?!
2. Can I change the black background to another if there is no connection?
1. You are supposed to start it from the command line.
2. Not possible at the moment, but tracked under https://github.com/FD-/RPiPlay/issues/29
Nancy10 wrote: Can anybody compile it to run on a standalone mode ( no need for any external ) libraries. or as a XBCM/Kodi plugin caus that would make it even better
1. RPiPlay only has a handful of library dependencies (Broadcom OpenMAX, OpenSSL and libavahi-dnssd-compat), which are all required for a reason. Not sure what you'd expect a 'standalone mode' to look like?
2. Have no experience with Kodi plugin development (and most plugins seem to be in Python anyway), but would be interesting to see if someone can pull this off.

premerson

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:10 pm

I do not speak English and this text was translated using Google.
I want to thank the project owner for the beautiful work done. I use RPiPlay to design my PowerPoint lectures.
I want to leave a tip of how I implemented, since in some places, I have no internet.
I installed https://raspap.com/ to make RaspBerry Pi an access point and created a simple script named air:
rpiplay -n screen -a off -b
Then I added it to crontab
@reboot / home / pi / air
So when you turn on RaspBerry, it automatically creates a network and runs rpiplay
Just access this network from my iPad and share the screen

Gnom

Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:38 am

Hi!
Thanks for this project. It looks promising but there are two points preventing me to use it for my needs: I need to output sound through alsa and I need to send videos, not only mirror. I read about how those were not easy things to do, and unfortunately I don't have the programming skills to do much, but I thought if somebody was working on this I could at least offer testing or whatever I can do. Let me know if there's anything!

z90210

Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:56 am

The RPiPlay is cool and run very smoothly.
Is it possible to mirror the content 90 degrees?
We can mirror the iPhone screen to a vertical screen.
I've tried to rotate the RPi display setting, but the RPiPlay wasn't rotate.

Thanks for your great work!

ChaosWados

Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:26 am

I just recently compiled this but I am stuck on a black screen and can’t do anything. Could you please help me with what to do next. Thank you.

Mausinspektor

Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:10 pm

zeck_do wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:23 pm
Hi I‘m a noob but what is the activation line in order to activate the AirPlay server?
Greetings
You have to go to the folder ~/RPiPlay/build and then type ./rpiplay

liminal

Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:50 am

Hi guys,

So I've installed this on a Pi Zero and exactly as per the instructions and its worked great, installed fine.

Ive now tried the exact same thing on a Pi 3 running OSMC and i'm getting this an error. This is from the top so you can see what I have done;

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~$ git clone https://github.com/FD-/RPiPlay.git
Cloning into 'RPiPlay'...
remote: Enumerating objects: 53, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (53/53), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (42/42), done.
remote: Total 2341 (delta 20), reused 19 (delta 11), pack-reused 2288
Receiving objects: 100% (2341/2341), 6.13 MiB | 2.58 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (1059/1059), done.
[email protected]:~$ cd RPiPlay
[email protected]:~/RPiPlay$ sudo apt-get install cmake
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
cmake is already the newest version (3.7.2-1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 8 not upgraded.
[email protected]:~/RPiPlay$ sudo apt-get install libavahi-compat-libdnssd-dev
Building dependency tree
libavahi-compat-libdnssd-dev is already the newest version (0.6.32-2).
[email protected]:~/RPiPlay$ sudo apt-get install libssl-dev
Building dependency tree
libssl-dev is already the newest version (1.1.0l-1~deb9u1).
[email protected]:~/RPiPlay$ mkdir build
[email protected]:~/RPiPlay$ cd build
[email protected]:~/RPiPlay/build$ cmake ..
CMake Error: CMake was unable to find a build program corresponding to "Unix Makefiles".  CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM is not set.  You probably need to select a different build tool.
CMake Error: CMAKE_C_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage
CMake Error: CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage
-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
Can anyone advise?

liminal

Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:19 am

Been speaking to the guys over at OSMC and its that I am missing parts of the OS.

Mostly now I'm missing this;

ilclient and Broadcom's OpenMAX stack as present in /opt/vc in Raspbian.

[email protected]:~/RPiPlay/build$ cmake ..
You have called ADD_LIBRARY for library ilclient without any source files. This typically indicates a problem with your CMakeLists.txt file
-- Configuring done
CMake Error: Cannot determine link language for target "ilclient".
CMake Error: CMake can not determine linker language for target: ilclient
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/osmc/RPiPlay/build
Any idea how I can fix this?

ilclient is not something I can just install via apt-get it seems

Thanks guys!

liminal

Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:19 am

After a bit more digging, OSMC doesn't have enough of an operating system to get this installed.

Which Kodi centric distro would be best?

liminal

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:55 am

For those of us using OSMC

You cant get it installed; head over to https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/integrate-r ... g/82484/27 to get an idea of the prereqs ect

eppi

Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:37 pm

Hi everybody,

I tried to compile the AirPlay Server on a freshly installed and updated Raspbian on a RPi2B and I received the following error:

[email protected]:~/RPiPlay/build $ cmake ..
-- The C compiler identification is GNU 8.3.0
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 8.3.0
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting C compile features
-- Detecting C compile features - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting CXX compile features
-- Detecting CXX compile features - done
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.13/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:137 (message):
  Could NOT find OpenSSL, try to set the path to OpenSSL root folder in the
  system variable OPENSSL_ROOT_DIR (missing: OPENSSL_CRYPTO_LIBRARY
  OPENSSL_INCLUDE_DIR)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake-3.13/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:378 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  /usr/share/cmake-3.13/Modules/FindOpenSSL.cmake:412 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
  lib/CMakeLists.txt:20 (find_package)

See also "/home/pi/RPiPlay/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
What is wrong?

DaithiMcBuan

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:26 am

I have this up and running on some Pis at the office where I work, and it works alright. Screesharing via Airplay works, though casting from a program such as QuickTime tries, times out and fails (though funnily enough, the videos on the BBC app on iOS work just fine, while the YouTube app etc. does not).

The second problem I have encountered is that while this solution works, after a number of hours (overnight), it stops working. So while the device is detected by a Mac or iOS device the next day, sharing fails and I need to restart the Pis. Needless to say, my boss is not impressed.

Just some feedback.

vital

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:56 pm

Hi guy

i have some problems. I execute instructions without errors. Start app and try to play music. And see decoding errors for .acc file

Initialized server socket(s)
*** WARNING *** The program 'rpiplay' uses the Apple Bonjour compatibility layer of Avahi.
*** WARNING *** Please fix your application to use the native API of Avahi!
*** WARNING *** For more information see <http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/avahi-compat.html>
Accepted IPv4 client on socket 15
Local: 192.168.1.53
Remote: 192.168.1.41
Accepted IPv4 client on socket 17
raop_rtp starting audio
raop_rtp starting audio
aacDecoder_DecodeFrame error : 0x4002
aacDecoder_DecodeFrame error : 0x400c
I have new RP3b+ no codecs or etc was installed...

Also i try to play MP3 and see

Initialized server socket(s)
*** WARNING *** The program 'rpiplay' uses the Apple Bonjour compatibility layer of Avahi.
*** WARNING *** Please fix your application to use the native API of Avahi!
*** WARNING *** For more information see <http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/avahi-compat.html>
Accepted IPv4 client on socket 15
Accepted IPv4 client on socket 17
raop_rtp starting audio
aacDecoder_DecodeFrame error : 0x5
double free or corruption (!prev)
Aborted
after tryinfg ctrl+c program stay in STOPPING for long time... i try to ctrl+z but id it proper way? if i start program afterwards i cant connect need to reboot pi.

give me advise, please

fd_

Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:28 pm

z90210 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:56 am
Is it possible to mirror the content 90 degrees?
I just merged a PR from user Steven Hickson that enables rotating the image. You now just pass the desired degree (a multiple of 90 deg) as argument to the new -r flag, e.g. ./rpiplay -r 90
liminal wrote: So I've installed this on a Pi Zero and exactly as per the instructions and its worked great, installed fine.
Ive now tried the exact same thing on a Pi 3 running OSMC and i'm getting this an error.
Yeah, I only support using RPiPlay on Raspbian. Running it on OSMC might well be possible, but you're on your own getting it to work. You should be able to install Kodi on top of Raspbian and have it work with RPiPlay in this way.
eppi wrote: Hi everybody,
I tried to compile the AirPlay Server on a freshly installed and updated Raspbian on a RPi2B and I received the following error:

[email protected]:~/RPiPlay/build $ cmake ..
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.13/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:137 (message):
  Could NOT find OpenSSL, try to set the path to OpenSSL root folder in the
  system variable OPENSSL_ROOT_DIR (missing: OPENSSL_CRYPTO_LIBRARY
  OPENSSL_INCLUDE_DIR)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake-3.13/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:378 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  /usr/share/cmake-3.13/Modules/FindOpenSSL.cmake:412 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
  lib/CMakeLists.txt:20 (find_package)

See also "/home/pi/RPiPlay/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
What is wrong?
Just read what the error message says and you'll recognise that OpenSSL could not be found, which is a dependency of RPiPlay. You can install it with sudo apt-get install libssl-dev. You could have avoided seeing the error by closely following the instructions from the Readme.
DaithiMcBuan wrote: I have this up and running on some Pis at the office where I work, and it works alright. Screesharing via Airplay works, though casting from a program such as QuickTime tries, times out and fails (though funnily enough, the videos on the BBC app on iOS work just fine, while the YouTube app etc. does not).

The second problem I have encountered is that while this solution works, after a number of hours (overnight), it stops working. So while the device is detected by a Mac or iOS device the next day, sharing fails and I need to restart the Pis. Needless to say, my boss is not impressed.

Just some feedback.
1) As discussed on GitHub (I suggest browsing the open issues if an open source program doesn't work in some way), video-only is not supported, since it uses a different protocol that's not implemented. See https://github.com/FD-/RPiPlay/issues/7.
2) Well, this was not written with the intention of impressing your boss. It's an open source project developed by users contributing code voluntarily. There is a whole array of known issues (though I'd invite you to file a detailed report for this one, since it hasn't been recorded yet), but no-one found them worth their time to fix. You're very welcome to fix any bugs you come across, if you feel like having them fixed justifies the effort for investigating the problem.
vital wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:56 pm
i have some problems. I execute instructions without errors. Start app and try to play music. And see decoding errors for .acc file

after tryinfg ctrl+c program stay in STOPPING for long time... i try to ctrl+z but id it proper way? if i start program afterwards i cant connect need to reboot pi.
1) That usually means you try to connect to RPiPlay as an audio receiver, which requires a different protocol that's not implemented. RPiPlay is an AirPlay _Mirroring_ receiver. See https://github.com/FD-/RPiPlay/issues/2.
2) This is a known issue, but its cause remains a mystery.

Xigowl

Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:03 pm

Hello, after with run the command line "make" the loading is done at 100% but after that I don't know how to run the Rplay application
could you help me please

Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:13 am

Xigowl wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:03 pm
Hello, after with run the command line "make" the loading is done at 100% but after that I don't know how to run the Rplay application
could you help me please

The answer is above from an earlier comment. Try this

To change into the right folder

cd ~/RPiPlay/build

Then to run the program

./rpiplay
Look at the github project page (https://github.com/FD-/RPiPlay) for usage options.

Additionally. I would like to add that if nothing displays including the black screen. It might be that the HDMI signal hasn't been picked up.

Adding or uncommenting these two lines in /boot/config.txt then rebooting fixed the problem for me.

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_drive=2
More information here for anyone trying to solve this part, https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... hp?t=34061

audero

Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:37 am

Signed up for an account just to say this is really great!

On a Mac, RPiPlay not only lets you mirror your screen, but can also extend your desktop onto a second monitor, just as if you had a second screen physically plugged in!

I've got it running on Pi Zero in low latency mode. Moving the mouse/animations can be a little choppy, but it generally works well enough for what I need it for (e.g. reviewing word documents etc.). No doubt I'd get better performance on a 3B or 4.

I don't know how to properly code, but I look forward to seeing what improvements the community can bring!

hudsonman44

Mon May 11, 2020 6:31 pm

I have installed on a Pi4 running raspbian. I have the 7in touch screen and another monitor connected via HDMI and am looking for a way to screen cast to the HDMI connected monitor instead of the touchscreen. Is there a way to assign the rpiplay app to a video output?

victorsnk

Sat May 23, 2020 5:43 pm

When I run the application everything is completely black on the screen. You can not connect even if it appears on the phone.

[i

Return to “Other projects”