jennybanta1990

Wireless panic button for ptsd flair up

Thu May 21, 2020 4:53 am

Hi all, something recently happened that has majorly impacted my ptsd. My family refuses to pay a monthly security system so I am setting one up. One thing that is very important to me is having buttons in the house That can be pushed that would email the central system when pressed each from their own email. I don’t mind buying separate units but somewhat of a budget would be nice. If they are wireless and I could connect to unit to the tv in that room to monitor the cameras and such I am installing that would be a plus. I don’t have a lot of programming knowledge and have a physical disability and can not solder. I apreciate the help. This whole project is just for peace of mind. I would also love and other advice. I may incorporate a android tablet to take in emails with individual alarms or is that possible with the pi? I got some vicinity equipment from a neighbor who switched and have 2 pi zeros with ir cameras on the way. Money is slowly becoming an object but any ideas are welcome

blimpyway

Re: Wireless panic button for ptsd flair up

Thu May 21, 2020 10:43 am

there are low power button things.. (like ble buttons) which can be kept in a pocket, or hidden in random places in the house. The button cell battery lasts for months or more in unused state.

A raspberry pi or phone could listen for ble messages from any of these and whenever one of them triggers, then escalate with emails or other alarms (e.g. mqtt) sent over internet and/or phone network.

jennybanta1990

Fri May 22, 2020 4:34 am

Could each button send a different signal? Is there code already out there I could use?

blimpyway

Sun May 24, 2020 10:51 am

I don't know much about them, but what I can say is each bluetooth device has its own unique identifier so you (your pi/program) will be able to tell which beacon is triggered.

There are several examples and tutorials on using PI's bluetooth, but I don't know if any of them could be applied directly to your problem, most likely you'll have to write a program to glue the beacon scanning with email sending.

Beware Pi's before 4 (3, zero w) have bluetooth 4, Pi 4 does bluetooth version 5,
Probably you'll need a beacon which is Bluetooth 4 for Pi-s lower than Pi 4.

Return to “Other projects”