Bigwillie

Production Machines Monitoring

Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:53 pm

Hi All, Liam here from Ireland, a newbie ;) I'm looking for some advice about a project at work that I would like to do on a small budget......times are hard, you know! We have 20 injection moulding machines, from 4 different manufacturers; we also have a proprietary ERP system that spews out reams of paper Work Orders for these machines, and at the end of each shift we have a guy going around taking shot counts from each machine, writing them down on the back of an envelope or the back of his hand and then going to a central PC to input the data..........In my minds eye, I can see a day when we'll have a screen at each machine (perhaps even a touchscreen!), to which the ERP system would send the works order for each particular machine, along with supporting documentation. The technician would then be able to tell the system when the W.O. has started and finished or paused for some reason, e.g. breakdown, waiting on material, etc. The shot counts would also be taken automatically from PLC outputs on the machines. From my little knowledge of the Raspberry Pi, I'm wondering if it would be a suitable piece of hardware to enable each machine to communicate with our ERP. If so, what would be the best language to use? Is this a difficult project? Any advice or observations are most welcome.........thank you.

nielsblack

Re: Production Machines Monitoring

Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:11 pm

I would think it’s possible, but you need to do some more research first. What kind of PLC interface is the count on? Is it a standard serial protocol, or custom digital signal, and what voltage or data rate? It should be possible to connect the two with the right kind of logic level conversion and software interpretation.

The ERP system is probably a bigger problem if it’s proprietary. Look into any options it has for sending out the work orders. Does it currently just print them all to one printer and somebody distributed them to the right equipment? If it can email each to a different address that might make things pretty easy

diyinius2

Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:37 am

Bigwillie wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:53 pm
Hi All, Liam here from Ireland, a newbie ;) I'm looking for some advice about a project at work that I would like to do on a small budget......times are hard, you know! We have 20 injection moulding machines, from 4 different manufacturers; we also have a proprietary ERP system that spews out reams of paper Work Orders for these machines, and at the end of each shift we have a guy going around taking shot counts from each machine, writing them down on the back of an envelope or the back of his hand and then going to a central PC to input the data..........In my minds eye, I can see a day when we'll have a screen at each machine (perhaps even a touchscreen!), to which the ERP system would send the works order for each particular machine, along with supporting documentation. The technician would then be able to tell the system when the W.O. has started and finished or paused for some reason, e.g. breakdown, waiting on material, etc. The shot counts would also be taken automatically from PLC outputs on the machines. From my little knowledge of the Raspberry Pi, I'm wondering if it would be a suitable piece of hardware to enable each machine to communicate with our ERP. If so, what would be the best language to use? Is this a difficult project? Any advice or observations are most welcome.........thank you.
Here is an idea: Can your ERP produce PDFs? If so, you could arrange to have them transfer to the corresponding Raspberry on the intended machine over Wi-Fi, or Ethernet I suppose, and have them be shown in a list on that touchscreen you mention, alongside a combobox that let's pick the current status of the W. O. and possibly send it to some text file, or web hook that might be able to update your ERP.

For the PLC interaction, I'm not sure what "shot counts" are, but if you could produce directly or indirectly a pulse that the Pi can receive, one of the GPIOs can be configured to look for it and increase a number related to the Order every time it's activated.

We are working on an OS that will make this kind of needs Simple to accomplish and if you like the idea I could consider preparing a custom build for you to try as a Pilot for your scenario, no charge, try at your own risk, etc. If you have time please do take a look: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=237990

Vink

Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:41 pm

Hi Liam,

I am currently attempting to do this at my factory, we have 59 IMM's and I'm looking to create a digital shot counter to start. Can you tell me if you've had any sucess with your project or perhaps some tips or tricks? Thank you.

JerM

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:31 pm

Hello Liam,

I'm exaclty in the same situation.
I'm managing an IMM workshop with about 20 machines from varius brands... and I would like to monitor the cycle time and report all the data's to a central dashboard.

My Idea is to have a raspberry (or arduino) connected on each machine, and sending cycle times value to a 'main' raspberry pi connected to a screen and showing a dashboard with all the values collected.

I think it's clearly doable... is it any existing software that can help me to start this project?

Thx

Vink

Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:50 pm

JerM, I'm about half way done with this project and love to bounce some ideas back and forth, shoot me an email [email protected]

Return to “Other projects”