creesten

Portable NFC reader with WIFI

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:43 pm

Hello,

I'm pretty new to hardware so hopefully I can find a relatively easy solution to figure out. I'm trying to make a NFC reader that's listening for cards, and once a card is scanned it will send a request to the appropriate back-end server with the information received. It needs to be portable.

Here's the problem. From what I'm seeing the battery required to run a Raspberry PI would be massive and not viable as a portable NFC reader being passed around in conference rooms etc.

Is there any solution here? Or do I have to look elsewhere? If yes, where?

Thank you!

topguy

Re: Portable NFC reader with WIFI

Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:43 pm

Cheap Android smartphone with NFC support sounds more applicable.

rpdom

Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:07 pm

topguy wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:43 pm
Cheap Android smartphone with NFC support sounds more applicable.
That's what I did for an RFID application I wanted to write. I started testing on a Pi with an expensive RFID reader that I borrowed, but when that got to complicated I decided to try and write my first Android App for my Samsung Galaxy S3. It works! It reads and writes and sets options on the RFID tags just the way I wanted.

abdullahsurati

Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:17 am

How long are you expecting the Pi to last?

I am working on a similar project based on fingerprint scanner to take attendance that will be portable.

I am planing to use PiJuice HAT. They come in various capacities, the default one being 1800 mAh.

Also note that if you use RPi Zero W, it will last more longer than a regular Pi. But you need to be sure the Zero has enough power to run your project.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Other projects”