InventorInventor350

Cursor Manipulation (Please Read To Understand)

Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:44 am

I have an old tv screen and I don't want it to go to waste. I would like to create a Raspberry Pi 3 computer with a mouse, keyboard, and all of those sorts. However, I'm on my bed and sometimes I had a system where I can stay in bed and not reach for the physical mouse. Something along the lines of a Wii Remote and how the Wi console was able to create a cursor and by moving the Wii remote the cursor would move with it. How would I implement this? Would I actually use an old Wii remote or can I build it? I'm a bit stuck on how this Wii remote system would actually function. My next idea is by using a "laser-touch-screen". A concept that takes the idea of a laser keyboard except the "laser-touch-screen" is actually a 2D plane. More specifically, a grid of many laser pointers pointing a laser beam at a "laser-beam-detector" sensor. There could be on the left side a line of laser each with its own beam pointing the beam to the sensor on the other side and same idea for the top to bottom. Every time the laser is intercepted by the user's finger, the laser sensor would return a one and then the code can interpret that the interception is happening at point (x,y) (where x is the horizontal distance from the top left corner and y is the vertical distance from the top left corner). Two ambitious ideas that I thought I could give a try. My question throughout all of this is: How can I create a cursor manipulation system that isn't a mouse and that is the two examples I provided (the Wii remote one and the "laser-touch-screen" one). Thank you in advance!

topguy

Re: Cursor Manipulation (Please Read To Understand)

Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:29 pm

I definitly suggest finding an old wiimote, then you just need some IR-LEDs to calibrate against.

The kernel HID driver is already in the Pi (hid-wiimote). https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/XWiimote

PiProgrammer

Re: Cursor Manipulation (Please Read To Understand)

Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:09 pm

Hi,
At least for the first part of your question, this link might have some answers:
https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/c ... anwiimote/

Return to “Other projects”