Ruffy

Security camera using Motion

Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:27 pm

I am trying to build a security camera, which is intended to be connected to my private LAN by wifi. With other words behind my router. I have installed "Motion". I have also successsfully port forwarded my router som that I can connect from a computer on a different LAN to view a live stream by using a public portnumber (on my router) 80 and, private port (on raspberry) port number 8080. "Motion" is also configured to send images to my e-mail when motion is detected. Everything works fine. The only problem is that this is not a secure connection. I have searched all over the internet to find a way to make the connection secure. I managed to install and connect hma vpn on the Raspberry, but then I couldn´t connect to it anymore from the outside.

Being a "newbie/beginner" I haven´t found any good precise description how to make the connection secure. I saw one post where using "Stunnel" was proposed, however, being a beginner in this, it seemed to complicated to set this up.

Is there anyone who could give a detailed description on how to set up a Raspberry with Motion installed, in which I can connect from an external device using ssl encryption, so that watching a live stream from the camera is secure?

mutrised

Re: Security camera using Motion

Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:59 am

Hi

Since you are streaming data straigh to your public interface, you have NO security at all.
You can use HTTPS instead of HTTP, that will avoid people to capture traffic from you watching to your camera, but they just need to connect themselves to the camera to see the video.

I once used motion on my raspberry but I used a VPN to connect to it from a remote LAN.

For that you need to have a VPN client installed on your remote computer, but your installation is secure since no one can reach motion from your public interface.

Maybe you can setup some web authentication with motion so you need to login to view video... But the most secure way I know is VPN.

And it provides you with a complete access to your rpi wherever you are =).

Note that you have VPN client for android, I use it myself to access my cheap IPCAM which I totaly blocked from accessing internet because I send suspicious data to chinese server...
RPI2B 7/24 - web, NAS/media, Owncloud and more
RPI0 7/24 - VPN, DHCP, DNS (including filtering), wakeonlan proxy
RPI0W - VPN gateway providing secure WIFI AP and network router, some kind of internet BOX when on the move ;)

Ruffy

Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:18 am

Thank you for your reply!
Do you know any good tutorial for setting up my Raspberry as a vpn server?

mutrised

Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:10 pm

Hi
I always use this one. But you'll find a bunch more on google.
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... n-debian-8
RPI2B 7/24 - web, NAS/media, Owncloud and more
RPI0 7/24 - VPN, DHCP, DNS (including filtering), wakeonlan proxy
RPI0W - VPN gateway providing secure WIFI AP and network router, some kind of internet BOX when on the move ;)

Ruffy

Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:42 pm

Thank you again for your reply :-)
I will try this tutorial!

Return to “Other projects”