digitalist

Music Sync for Car

Mon May 14, 2018 3:40 pm

I'm a total newb... this will be my first endeavor into raspberry pi... and while it may sound like a simplistic project, I don't think it's going to be as easy as it sounds --- or maybe I'm just over thinking it.

The Idea...
I want to be able to drop music files into a share on my NAS and have them sync to my car via wifi. Based on my preliminary research I think I'll be using bittorrent sync for the actual syncing.

The Challenges (as I see it)...
I need a storage device that both the car and the pi can mount and see. This is the biggest stumbling block.

The Resources...
The car is a 2015 camaro... it has a usb data input that requires that the usb storage device use partition flags marked as '1' and 'active' and from what I can tell the system prefers .mp3 files. The vehicle also has a bluetooth connection and an 8mm aux input. Haven't yet tested whether or not the bluetooth can be used to stream media from a device inside the car... so maybe that's an option. I'm currently using an OEM audio system. So either both the pi and the car have to be able to mount and see a storage device in the middle or the pi is going to have to be a passthrough device with storage directly on the pi. I'm not really picky so long as it works.

So yea... this is my first project using a Raspberry Pi and I'm here for any ideas I can get that may help me along my way. Thanks much!

epoch1970

Re: Music Sync for Car

Tue May 15, 2018 8:31 pm

This is the short version:

- Syncthing might be an alternative for files transfer. It's open and free.
- USB passthrough does not exist: the Pi has only one USB line. On some models (0, A) that line can switch between OTG and host mode, on B it is always in host mode.
- USB is a master-slave protocol: a USB drive (slave) cannot be connected to 2 hosts (masters) at the same time. A wifi enabled drive, maybe?? (unlikely)
- BT: How good is the Camaro at it? Does the head unit show metadata? Can it remote-control a BT source? Otherwise personally I would drop the idea, BT is fiddly. I suppose you can test that with a smartphone.
- If not BT: line-in (best audio quality, volume control only) and wifi (tablet or phone app, great GUI) to control the Pi.
- If wifi, where will be the in-car Access Point? If it is the Pi, there are some hardware constraints. If it is a mobile phone, then great (and you could sync en-route, too ;)
- Power supply needs to be considered. I suppose a sort of small UPS is best to filter current spikes and control orderly OS shutdown when the engine is turned off.
- Did you ask fellow 2015 Camaro owners yet? If there is a firmware trick or a miracle aftermarket product that can help, someone will know.

Have fun :)
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

digitalist

Wed May 16, 2018 11:48 pm

This is the short version:

- Syncthing might be an alternative for files transfer. It's open and free.
-- I'll check it out. Synology (which I have) hosts bittorrent sync and it can be run as a service on Pi.

- USB passthrough does not exist: the Pi has only one USB line. On some models (0, A) that line can switch between OTG and host mode, on B it is always in host mode.
-- great info - was afraid of that

- USB is a master-slave protocol: a USB drive (slave) cannot be connected to 2 hosts (masters) at the same time. A wifi enabled drive, maybe?? (unlikely)
-- great info - was afraid of that

- BT: How good is the Camaro at it? Does the head unit show metadata? Can it remote-control a BT source? Otherwise personally I would drop the idea, BT is fiddly. I suppose you can test that with a smartphone.
-- The UI is clunky but it works. It's not going to be tenable for a sifting through even 10Gbs of music though.

- If not BT: line-in (best audio quality, volume control only) and wifi (tablet or phone app, great GUI) to control the Pi.
-- At this point I think 8mm aux is going to be the way to go... since I can attach a small screen and a usb SNES controller to the Pi for exploring the
datastore. I think I read somewhere that I could setup a pre-amp EQ this way as well.

- If wifi, where will be the in-car Access Point? If it is the Pi, there are some hardware constraints. If it is a mobile phone, then great (and you could sync en-route, too ;)
-- the only wifi will be the Pi connecting to wifi every time I'm in range of open networks or stored networks. I expect most of that connectivity will occur
in my own garage.

- Power supply needs to be considered. I suppose a sort of small UPS is best to filter current spikes and control orderly OS shutdown when the engine is turned off.
-- One issue at a time.

- Did you ask fellow 2015 Camaro owners yet? If there is a firmware trick or a miracle aftermarket product that can help, someone will know.
-- Nope --- figured the Pi Guys would be more likely to have done something with Pi.

Have fun :)
--Thanks!

ghans

Thu May 17, 2018 4:45 am

There are quite a few Wifi-enabled SD cards, pendrives and harddrives out there. I wonder how they solve the master-slave problem. What happens if someone reads file from a folder over USB while that folder is being manipulated via WiFi ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “Other projects”