nealk2k3

Print to a Polaroid Zip

Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:16 am

I have a project whereby I'd like to print to a Polaroid Zip printer. If you haven't heard of one of those, it's a small, portable wireless printer that you can print to via bluetooth.

There was a previous version called the Polaroid PoGo which someone managed to print to for a similar project. They wrote about it here:
http://opalfruits.net/blog/index.php/20 ... er-part-2/

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B, and I'm trying to use the built in Bluetooth adaptor to print to my Zip.
I've followed the steps as in the post, but when I try to connect using 'sudo rfcomm bind /dev/rfcomm0 70:2C:1F:15:96:AD 1' I get an error:
Can't open RFCOMM control socket: Protocol not supported

I know very little about bluetooth networking and protocols so I'm not really sure where to start here. Is there a way I can query what protocols the printer supports and then see if there are packages available to add the necessary support?

scruss

Re: Print to a Polaroid Zip

Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:35 pm

That blog post is really old, and is likely to be misleading now. This thread might have better rfcomm advice: Raspberry Pi • View topic - Use app to connect to pi via bluetooth.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

drmab

Re: Print to a Polaroid Zip

Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:17 pm

I'm trying to do the same thing.

I was able to communicate with the printer with and without binding rfcomm, I'm not sure if it's needed. Basically, what I did was

Code: Select all

sdptool browse 70:2C:....
to find the channel. There's two that appear, I used the one that showed "OBEX" (0x0008) in the protocol list (channel 4), then simply

Code: Select all

ussp-push MA:CA:DR:ES:[email protected] source.jpg destination.jpg
I got the response that I was communicating, and the light on the printer started flashing, but then it flashed red and nothing happened. So now I'm stuck.

Another thing, I sudo bluetoothctl to pair the devices, but I don't know if that does anything.

Edit: Ok, now it works. Turns out there are pictures the printer doesn't like. I downloaded one from my phone to the RPi 3, and sent it. Success!

Return to “Other projects”