rpdom

Wireless panic button

Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:23 am

Hi,

I have been thinking about a small project that I would like to build for my Pi.

The situation is that there is someone I know who may occasionally need to summon assistance, but would not always be able to reach a phone.

I have in mind a small button that they could wear around their neck, which when pressed will cause an SMS to be sent.

I was thinking some sort of RF transmitter, with a receiver that sets a GPIO on the Pi which causes the SMS to be sent. I'm fine with programming the SMS and GPIO stuff, but don't really know anything about RF hardware. The unit would have to be secure in that it can't be triggered by any interference or someone locking their car nearby. The range would only need to be about 10m maximum, probably less. Budget is small, so cheap is the major factor.

Any ideas?

joan

Re: Wireless panic button

Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:33 am

One of those inexpensive 433MHz wireless modules might do. You could make your own non-clashing bit sequence up to prevent random triggers. The only thing I'm not sure about would be the power required. How do you plan to power the panic button?

rpdom

Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:10 am

Thank you joan.

Any suggestions as to suitable boards and a guide on how to set them up? I've seen them around and see that they can be got for pence on ebay.

As the button would only be used very occasionally, I was thinking of using one or more CR2032 or similar to power it. I have a few spares around. Alternatively I have a tiny LiPo cell that could do the job. I haven't got around to looking at the power requirements of the transmitter boards yet.

ame

Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:29 am

There are commercial versions of this already. Are you sure you want to make your own?

Why not have a small cellphone on a lanyard round the person's neck?

rpdom

Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:44 am

ame wrote:There are commercial versions of this already. Are you sure you want to make your own?
Yes, partially for cost reasons. I already have a Pi or five with LAN connection and power.
Too big, and needs to be simple to use. Just push one button. Also the mobile phone would need to be charged occasionally and has additional running costs.

ehattey1

Mon May 11, 2015 8:21 pm

I am very interested in this project as well. My wife had a spinal fusion several years ago, and has had complications since then that make it hard for her to do things on her own. I work from home most days, but my office is on the opposite side of the house from the bedroom. I would love to have a panic button that either played a chime over speakers in the house, or that would send an alert to my phone.

eggbeater

Tue May 12, 2015 12:20 am

I think it is very good that this project idea has spurned so much interest!

Bluetooth would have a sufficient range for a panic button, and it would work better in larger residences (and outside should something happen there.).
Have a few LEDs in your way? Make them into a light show!
http://launchpad.net/raspberrypi-christmaslights/

ame

Tue May 12, 2015 1:02 am

Bluetooth has a range of about 10m.

Maybe one of those Bluetooth selfie buttons would work nicely. They are cheap and small.

If the range is not good enough, install another Pi somewhere.

Or, if the owner carries a phone in their pocket (and not on a lanyard around their neck) write a phone app to listen for the Bluetooth button activation and relay the state to the internet. We have to assume that the phone is on the patient, or nearby.

Shea

Tue May 12, 2015 4:22 pm

How about a bluetooth remote shutter device for phone. Max range is 10m, and cost less than $5.00US. I think the hardware suit your requirement. All it need is some bluetooth interface programming, and RAMP ( Raspberry Pi, Apache, Mysql, and PHP).. :idea:

Douglas6

Tue May 12, 2015 4:36 pm

Adafruit has a cheap and easy RF solution. Range is only about 25 feet at best, however.

ame

Tue May 12, 2015 11:40 pm

Shea wrote:How about a bluetooth remote shutter device for phone. Max range is 10m, and cost less than $5.00US. I think the hardware suit your requirement. All it need is some bluetooth interface programming, and RAMP ( Raspberry Pi, Apache, Mysql, and PHP).. :idea:
Is there an echo in here?

electronicsguy

Wed May 13, 2015 12:08 am

rpdom wrote:
ame wrote:There are commercial versions of this already. Are you sure you want to make your own?
Yes, partially for cost reasons. I already have a Pi or five with LAN connection and power.
Too big, and needs to be simple to use. Just push one button. Also the mobile phone would need to be charged occasionally and has additional running costs.
Looks like a full computer, like a raspberry pi, is an overkill for it. IMHO, you should use a micro-controller board and program that. There wouldn't be any need to boot it up/down, worry about 1000s extra pieces of software.

A arduino/TI launchpad solution would be much more simpler, elegant.
blog: https://electronicsguy.wordpress.com
github: https://github.com/electronicsguy

rpdom

Wed May 13, 2015 5:23 am

electronicsguy wrote:Looks like a full computer, like a raspberry pi, is an overkill for it. IMHO, you should use a micro-controller board and program that. There wouldn't be any need to boot it up/down, worry about 1000s extra pieces of software.
Replying to an old post?

As I said, I already have loads of Pis around, some running 24/7, so nothing to boot up or down - besides, what would be the point of a panic button that you only enable at certain times of day?

Anyway, I bought a cheap RF transmitter with four buttons and a receiver board which I interfaced to the GPIO. It worked OK.

But I no longer have a need for a panic button.

Douglas6

Wed May 13, 2015 5:33 am

Condolences.

rpdom

Wed May 13, 2015 5:42 am

Douglas6 wrote:Condolences.
Eh?

Oh, no! Things are much improved. :)

Douglas6

Wed May 13, 2015 5:47 am

Oh gosh, my mistake :oops: My own recent experience was different.

rpdom

Wed May 13, 2015 5:49 am

I'm sorry to hear that. My condolences :(

Shea

Thu May 14, 2015 8:13 pm

Ame - sorry about the double/echo post.
I think this is a very worth while project. It can be used as a panic button, an/or item locator. It is a interesting project, with plug and play low cost ready made device.
I am not a programmer by trade, but I think I will spend some time on it.

JNB

Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:04 pm

Hi guys,

I don't know if this thread is still active... But here goes.

I want to build a wireless panic button that is activated by a RF remote, but send a message to a Whatsapp group. Reason for this being whoever see the message first or closest will be able to assist.

Is this possible.

Hope to hear from you!

JNB

SamWilson

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:04 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm also interested to hear if there has been any progress?

I'm looking at creating a simple, small bluetooth remote shutter device (similar to smartphone buttons) that can integrate with my Raspberry Pi over Bluetooth (BLE ideally) to capture images. I'm pretty new to this so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Return to “Other projects”